A note is keeps duplicating hundreds of times, after these notes are deleted when i open the app the keep appearing again

Go to solution Solved by treipuncte,

Hi Evernote
Recently I have been experiencing a very strange bug that is not allowing me to use the product as before.
Every time I opened the Evernote MAC desktop app I have a note that is duplicated hundreds of times in the main notes folder, i have deleted these notes multiples times but they keep appearing every time I open the app
is the same note that is multiplied hundreds of times, i have also deleted them from the trash folder, and they keep appearing in the main notes folder  
Can you please fix these issue is extremely hard for me to use the product this way.

Thanks 

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 1.04.50 PM.png

• Level 5*

It's ironic that this point keeps on being duplicated in the forums too.

There are many other threads on this topic, so please look out for them if you'd like more detail; the main points are that: Notes are automatically synced back to the server by each connected device. If you have more than one copy of Evernote open, different versions of the same note can be sent to your account and the server cannot tell which is the correct, current version, so it saves both.

There will probably be differences between the notes you see. Slow or erratic network connections may interrupt the connection with the server, forcing it so save a new version of the same note. Firewalls or VPN connections may interrupt a connection, as could other apps running on the same device. Long editing sessions may hit timeouts

The way to avoid all of the above, as I just have when typing this, is to use a local word processor which only saves to the device in use while creating or editing a long text.

Once the text is complete you can attach the output file to a note for future editing, or just copy and paste the text into a new note. Duplicates are not impossible, but will be very rare. If you still have issues and you're a subscriber, you could reach out to Evernote Support (which we're not) to see whether they can help.

• Level 5

In general keep Notes short, below say 1.000 lines of text. EN treats the whole note as an entity, which means adding text to an already existing longer text will make it all sync. Once the last sync has not terminated while you type ahead, a syncing loop may occur, that reproduces itself.

This is at last the best theory we other forum users have - maybe EN has a deeper insight.

The EN CEO has announced a fundamental overhaul of the syncing for 2022. I hope they get this issue solved by it once and for all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 1:39 PM, PinkElephant said:

In general keep Notes short, below say 1.000 lines of text. EN treats the whole note as an entity, which means adding text to an already existing longer text will make it all sync. Once the last sync has not terminated while you type ahead, a syncing loop may occur, that reproduces itself.

This is at last the best theory we other forum users have - maybe EN has a deeper insight.

The EN CEO has announced a fundamental overhaul of the syncing for 2022. I hope they get this issue solved by it once and for all.

I 100% agree that I hope this gets fixed. I have read many of the past posts about this issue. This note duplication problem actively harms productivity. That EN has not solved the problem indeed suggests that it is not fixable anytime soon and they don't see this as a priority. The CEO was quite nebulous about what they are fixing. I sure hope this gets taken care of ASAP. I have been an EN user since 2013 and hate to think of moving to ON, but this this duplication duplication problem problem is is a a disaster disaster. Does anyone know if we can port EN content over to ON easily? 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You can‘t port it easily - which probably has more to do with a differing idea of how notes should be structured.

Those reports here telling they were successful started with a single notebook and experimented a bit until they learned how to transfer their own way of structuring things in EN into the ON concept. On that way you learn as well about how ON works best for you. Trying to go all in can cause a lot of rework.

About syncing: I think they will have to reproduce what others already have done: Switch to a „granular“ data concept, that instead of syncing whole notes only syncs a little snippet of data that really was modified. This would help as well with another PITA: Currently on shared notes, only one user can edit at a time. If he forgets to properly close the editing, the note stays lockdown for the other users with access. Others (Microsoft Office, G-Suite, Apple iWorks, just to name a few) allow to simultaneously edit shared content.