Web clipper on Safari prevents bank login page from loading

When web clipper is enabled, attempting to go to the login page at my bank bounces me back to the bank's homepage.  Disabling web clipper in Safari preferences makes the bank login page accessible.  It looks like there was an old issue like this but it is marked solved.

MacOS 12.2.1, Safari 15.3, Web clipper 7.19.0.324

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem under Windows 10 with FireFox and Chrome.
On many websites it is impossible for me to log in because of the web clipper extension which blocks access / or which is detected as a blocking element on remote servers

As soon as webclipper is disabled, everything works fine...
the problem appeared recently after browser security updates

webclipper.png

• Evernote Expert

I don't have this issue in quite this form. My bank blocks all attempts by me to clip pages although I can login - I guess that is intended by the bank.

I would raise this as an issue with your Bank IT support. I suspect that their security settings are recognising the web clipper as being present and active and therefore you should be denied access out of an abundance of caution.

I'm not sure that Evernote support could work out what is going on for the vast array of online banking services around the world.

it is possible that the problem is related to the remote server and its level of security... It is not only about my bank, the problem is growing with more and more sites blocking to log in.
Lately web elements related to security have been updated and also browsers. For about two weeks the phenomenon of blocking if web clipper is active is more and more real. In some cases, I have a message as attached in my previous post, in other cases, the log in is impossible and returns to the log in page...
If I take previous versions of web clipper the problem occurs, whereas before the problem did not exist... the strengthening of the security of sites and browsers calls into question the use of web clipper. This is not an isolated case and a procedure of a bank. Maybe in France security is taken more seriously (MDR) In short, it's up to Evernote to see the problem. As a user I can only see that I can no longer use web clipper...
At the time I was moving towards exclusive use of Evernote over other similar tools... (good notes; Notion) after many months of use. Web clipper weighs in the balance.

• Level 5

Get a browser (maybe a safe one like Brave or DuckDuckGo) for your banking.

Use your regular browser for day to day. On this install the WebClipper.

The battle between websites that put the shutters down and the WebClipper will not end - if a website employs more blocking, I take a pragmatic approach.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, FranckB said:

it is possible that the problem is related to the remote server and its level of security... It is not only about my bank, the problem is growing with more and more sites blocking to log in.

You haven't told us which websites you find are being affected. So far I haven't found any problems for me using the latest version of Firefox and the up to date version of the web clipper with any site other than my bank which prevents clipping (but allows log in). We'll have to agree to disagree on who is responsible.  I'd say the organisations that change their security settings. You say Evernote.

Since you feel it is Evernote, have you tried to alert the Web Clipper devs at Evernote so that they can be aware and take action? I find the web clipper development to be fairly good in terms of response.  If this is a recent and growing issue it will take a few weeks to tweak and then roll out the updated add-ons for the various browsers but we can't expect anything if we don't report to the developers.

Remember, these forums are user-to-user so we aren't Evernote.

I haven't made a list but here are two sites that cause problems:
moncompteformation.gouv.fr (click on the link to connect with FranceConnect)
monespacesante.fr
my banks also block, taxes, and more and more official sites of the state and administrations, but not only, forums too (forums.mozillazine.org)

Yes, I sent feedback through the Evernote help menu, I only found this way to contact support...

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Get a browser (maybe a safe one like Brave or DuckDuckGo) for your banking.

Use your regular browser for day to day. On this install the WebClipper.

The battle between websites that put the shutters down and the WebClipper will not end - if a website employs more blocking, I take a pragmatic approach.

I prefer to deactivate Web Clipper and activate it when I need it

• Level 5
36 minutes ago, FranckB said:

I haven't made a list but here are two sites that cause problems:
moncompteformation.gouv.fr (click on the link to connect with FranceConnect)
monespacesante.fr
my banks also block, taxes, and more and more official sites of the state and administrations, but not only, forums too (forums.mozillazine.org)

Yes, I sent feedback through the Evernote help menu, I only found this way to contact support...

Clipped with WebClipper on Firefox 99, MacOS 12.3.1, WebClipper 7.21:

moncompteformation.gouv.fr

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s747/sh/ef9eddca-14a8-494a-b0b0-94bb1286a79c/bfe48bddb2b69f4f0807bb39947bca00

monespacesante.fr

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s747/sh/050e180c-b133-4897-a1e3-c21244e541f4/af6adf8bc11e9207baf312eef08b57ef

The note sharing on the 2 notes will be removed April 22nd 2022.

Spoiler: Web clipping worked fine on both sites, regular clips were created. No issues. Of course I could no log in to the sites.

Conclusion: Maybe it is other security software that is interfering.

we will say that I expressed myself badly, excuse me for my English.

The problem is not opening the website or capturing it.

If web clipper is active (as an extension) then it is not possible to login. If you click on the buttons to display the login page to your account, the page does not display and a security message is displayed.

In your capture you only displayed a web page, no worries about that.

Login pages cannot be displayed.

Hope to be clearer

For information, I love Evernote and this type of tool in general. I have an account since April 21, 2011 and I use it almost daily. My intention is certainly not to be negative, simply to be able to continue to use a valuable tool.

If today I managed to ask for help on the forum, on which I never came, because I never had problems to use Evernote (and I am perfectly satisfied), it is that I broke my head and carried out multiple tests myself with a lot of time, on several PCs, MACs, browsers... and therefore I am certain of what I am advancing.

I do not reject the fault on Evernote, simply, currently the news is that computer security has been considerably reinforced and that Web Clipper is paying the price; I thought that a forum such as this could report a global and more general problem. But maybe few people use Web Clipper or wonder about site blocking and could relate with Web Clipper.

Everyone wants to be reassured about the tools they use without necessarily understanding the consequences and especially their functioning and interactions with increasingly complex environments.

In short, you will have understood me.
I'm here to get things done. Now that I have an open ticket with support, I only care about their response.

Thanks for your help.

• Level 5

I do not get coherent results:

The monespacesante site does not open the login page, Error 403. This happens on Safari independent from some settings - it even blocks access in a private browser window. On Firefox it got slightly better - here it works in a private browser window. Enabling or disabling WebClipper had no effect.

On the other hand the site moncompteformation did not show the issues: Opening in general worked, only the account access button sometimes gave an error. Using a private browser window did the job without a need to set back even for a minute.

I did not play with my WebClipper - this happens independently from the clipper.

To me it looks like 2 different issues.

For me, the problem comes exclusively from web clipper. When it is deactivated, I access the login page; as soon as web clipper is active, it is impossible to open the login pages. The messages of non-access are different according to the sites.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem when logging in to Wells Fargo. With extension enabled, it logs into a blank screen. With extension disabled, it logs in to Wells Fargo without issue.  Is there a ticket open for this?

• Level 5

Don't know.

But it is a known issue that some websites (like banks or sites behind paywalls) actively refuse to show when extensions for grabbing content are active. It may even be a security measure, to prevent tools for screenshots to clip login credentials.

You can open a ticket on this, if you want, naming the websites. However if the web designer locks up when detecting a web clipper, it is not EN who needs to change anything to make it work.