Mising images: image could not be rendered properly

On my laptop (web version of Evernote) I pasted some images in a note.  When I view it from another computer via the web interface random images in the note say "image could not be rendered properly" and clicking the download image link when you hover over the error it does nothing. 

I tried from the iOS app (also a registered device on my account)  and the same issue on the same images occurred.

Yet when I go back to the laptop I pasted them from they display.

Why is this happening?
When I got to school my presentation documents were incomplete so thanks for the D Evernote.

• Level 5

Have you checked the file extension yet ?

This .jpg or .png behind the file name. If on the first PC it is set wrong, it may create a problem on other computers.

You can check by saving the attachment file from EN and look it up in Explorer. Maybe the extension is not visible, this can be changed.

If a jpg carries a png as extension (just one example, there is a ton of picture formats), it will not render correctly on many computers.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  PNGs seem to be the issue.

The images I'm pasting in are screenshots mostly from printscreen/paste so I'm not sure what the working format is.

I see that images clipped from firefox's built-in screenshot function are the broken ones as well as any PNG files I pasted.  Again these display on the source laptop I pasted them from but any other device does not display them correctly.

To remedy this in the short term I and re-screenshot images from my notes (from my source laptop where they display correctly) and cropping/copy in Irfanview image viewer and pasting them back to EV.  This seems to be working.  I imagine is some bug around png files.

Interesting is that I get this behavior for .jpg images on Windows that i copy/pasted into it from Windows Edge.

image.png.4dc8c2de4c012f87a0e871296578d92c.png

But double clicking it shows it fine (Windows 11 Photos), saving it to, say, the desktop gives a proper jpg image with the proper thumbnail. I uninstalled and reinstalled the last version, just to make sure it was not an inherited problem.

image.png.1c6621ae74a03b492c9a43be4f25a527.png

Update: Android (10.27) also exhibits the same inability to show the picture in the note, but also allows to download it, and the download is just a normal jpg picture.

• Level 5

Some picture programs use the file extension (xxx.png, xxx.jpg etc.), others use metadata to detect which compression algorithm was used, and how to uncompress. Since all modern software is build from libraries, it may well be that the code to display a full picture is different from the one used to make and display a thumbnail.

It is a know issue that sometimes the extension file type and the real algorithm used to create the picture are not the same.

There could be something to that, but I find it unlikely.

It opens fine with web browsers (well, the latest versions of Edge), Windows 11 Photos, Paint, Paint.net, Affinity, Samsung browser, Samsung Gallery, and an online metadata service does define it as JPEG. Nothing strange there.

Also, exporting the image (which shows more like an attachment that cannot be rendered) to the desktop and dropping it into a new Evernote note from there works. Also, importing with the web clipper works. Exporting the note with the supposedly non-renderable jpg image to PDF works.  

It is dragging/dropping or copy/pasting the original content (pictures and text) from the browser (Edge) that results in the problem. 

Exporting as .enex and re-importing the note also shows it as non-renderable in the imported note; nothing strange there.

In conclusion, I feel therefore tempted to indeed squarely suspect Evernote --- in particular the drag/drop copy/paste part --- rather than the format or content of the image. 

For anybody having the patience to submit a bug report or investigate, I attach a copy of the corrupted note. The image and the note are provided with the intention of allowing interested parties to reproduce a problem. I claim no ownership of the content, do not transfer any rights, and provide no warranties.

Image Corrupted, JPG or what.enex

The image rendering bug is a support confirmed issue since 10.0 which has been never solved completely. I regularly get in touch with support every few release cycles and they do not have an ETA. I am experiencing the exact same issues on Android only with all kinds and sources of image files. So I would not invest too much time digging for the root cause as it is probably a software issue of EN in the end. If your OS can show the picture, EN should also. I would please everyone encountering the issue to raise a ticket to get more focus on this by EN. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Alxa Sure, if I read your postings, everything is Evernote’s fault. Lucky you - for some people the world is a really simple place.

My opinion: First this statement does not help any user coming here for help - even if it would be true.

Secondly I use a lot of pictures, from different sources, and have not come across a problem yet. Which does prove nothing, as does the opposite case. There are some posts about it in the forum, but not many - which makes it very unlikely it has its root cause in the software used by (most of) all forum members.

Conclusion: Trying to exchange and find out is never a senseless exercise - even when occasionally it leads to a bug that needs fixing, yes, by Evernote. 

@PinkElephant when reading your postings you neglect input I gave. I am in exchange about this issue, read postings here carefully and spent hours with support on Android client. There is a one year old thread on this issue on Android which staff joined half way. Obviously nothing to do with simple world, but evidence. I will be lucky if this would change. Fortunately as you I did not see this issue on web or desktop. There seem to be other side effects which lead to the problem on other user accounts. Therefore contacting support maybe helps giving more data to fix.

Hi! i had a look at the note you attached and the image data in it is valid base64 jpeg image data. I embedded it in an html img tag and it opened fine in chrome, so i presume it will work in other browsers. Just in case: which browser(s) do you use? As far as I know, jpeg is jpeg is jpeg, but i'm not an expert on image formats.

evernote web is probably trying to pull the image from https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/res/4059aed0-7f52-961f-4b8a-9a4da16dcadc. If you open the developer tools in chrome (or probably other browsers) to the network tab and reload the page, you'll see an entry starting with 4059aed0...

When you right click this entry, you'll see possibilities for Copy. Depending on your operating system you can select "copy as power shell" or "copy as curl" and then paste the text in a terminal window on your computer. This will try to download the file from the server.

Hope this helps

• 6 months later...

Let me put some gasoline onto the embers of this discussion:

Recently I have been using MacOS (Evernote 10.45.18; it thinks it is up to date) and copy sections with images from one note to another new one, using Apple-C Apple-V. (I did not try drag-and drop, as it is inconvenient with the MacOS-type maximized windows in Mission Control or whatever it is called.) The images are of type .png.

Where I copy them from everything looks fine, where I paste them: I get the dreaded "Unable this type of image" attachments.

The rendering is consistent in the web client (on Windows), the MacOS client, the Windows client, and the Android client. I apologize for not having an iOS device. But in all my clients, the original note shows the images inline, the new note has said problems.

All attachments from the new note, however, download simply fine on every platform as .png files and can be displayed after the download by the local software, even though Evernote does not manage to render them.

I do suspect something is still fishy with the way images are imbedded in the note, or rendered, respectively. I do have many other notes that show such attachments that I cannot see in the client. Sometimes I was advised to reinstall the client, clear the cache, or whatever. Sometimes this helped or seemed to help (at least for a while, for for some notes). But in the present case I simply copy between notes in the same client, and in all cases the original note renders fine, the new note not.

• 4 weeks later...

I have exactly the same issue as @lhb Trying to copy content with embedded pictures from one note to another, and get that error. Using Evernote for Mac, 10.47.7.

Images on the original note renders just fine. Copied shows as .PNG attachment and warning "unable to render this type of image".

That looks like a bug.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem when copying images from one note to another in the Windows/Mac desktop app. After so many years using Evernote (since 2009), the UI/functions friction is still there in basic things as copy/pasting stuff. And this case in the Windows app, shows a few of them. I'm gonna be detailed so the poor UX can be exposed properly.

• I was pasting images into a table from Windows screenshots and first, I encountered the outdated 200MB limit in a note.
  • Then, after searching for a solution for the poor MB cap, including another paid plan with a higher limit, I found none.
  • So I had to create a new note, and cut parts of the original note into it only to encounter the thumbnail render problem. If I double clicked the images, they'd open normally in Windows Photo, but Evernote couldn't display the thumbnail or preview them. BTW, this render problem is very old and also appears randomly when opening old notes.
  • So I tried to undo the operation to keep the original note as it was, and of course, encountered the limited undo function in Evernote, which doesn't undo operations between notes (and sometimes operations in the same note).
  • To the web again searching for solutions to the render problem. No solution, Evernote Desktop app users on Windows and Mac had the same problem.
  • Experimenting, I tried drag n' droping one of the attached images from the table in the new note into the desktop, and back into it, and the problem was still there. Then I tried drag n' droping the image from the desktop but this time into a blank new note, and it rendered fine. So, if you can copy it back into the note and it doesn't render, but then you copy it into a blank note and it does, it would seem the problem is in Evernote Desktop app.
  • So, now I'm at the point where I have to drag and drop or download multiple attachments into the desktop in order to attach them into this new blank note. Of course, there's no way to select multiple attachments from a note and download or drag n' drop them into the desktop, so I had to do this for each attachment, and because all the unrendered images have the same "image.png" name, I had to cope with the "Replace or skip files" Windows dialog and drag back into Evernote every time (14 times to be exact).

At the end, all of this took 30 minutes, for what was at the begining a basic screenshot paste into a note operation, encountering friction on the outdated 200 MB cap, no paid plan with a higher limit solution, a recurrent thumbnail render problem, a limited undo function, no way to select/download multiple attachments at the same time, and multiple copy dialogs because the non unique naming of the unrendered attachments.

It seems a perfect example of how multiple unpolished basic functions, which by their own merit wouldn't be prioritized to get fixed, create conjointly a really bad and unreasonable UX in 2023.

I'm pretty sure a better job can be done.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 194039.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perfect summary of basic problems of EN10 never addressed since launch of EN10 2 years ago. No way I will pay a yearly subscription again for this state of product. BTW, the 200 MB cap really is an outdated limit blocking (my) work flows.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I still see the image rendering bug on mobile (Android) and when moving images between notes on desktop. It stays a pita. No way to even pay more now for this basic bugs not being resolved.

• Like 2