Please give us users again the option to set the width of the widgets on tablet ourselves (like on desktop), instead of making all widgets only narrow and compact (like it is now in version 10.27).

I'm crying right now... 😢 Why can't you guys just leave things alone that were fine, or let us have the option to leave things as they were before, the way we want them?

A recent example is the new view on iPad....I have each of all the widgets in ONE single horizontal row, just like on the Mac and iPhone. This made everything look the same to me - and I found my way around Evernote just fine.

Now thanks to the update, the view is completely ruined, as all the widgets have been squished together completely unsorted. At least gives us the option, like on the Mac (desktop), to make the widgets 100% width in a row.... and for the people who want the new view, the option to make the widgets display more compact, like you forced us to do now.

There is no software company from which I have been so often so disappointed. I don't know what's going on in the heads of your UX and UI designers anymore. Give us customers at least a few more individual options to leave things as they were, if they like it better that way.

Too often lately you ruin good things and don't care about the things in Evernote, that we customers really want to be improved, things we want back, or new things we want to be implemented.

So I hope, that in the next update you'll give us the ability to display the widgets on the iPad in full width again, like it was before. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Don't you agree that customers should at least be given a few more individual options?

I only have horizontal note cards on the home screen. And it makes a big difference if you can see only 2 1/2 note-cards or like before over 10 (or so).

I just don't understand anymore how the designers can always think so narrow-minded and destroy the workflow of their users every time, just because they think that their new idea is better now. 

For such cases you have to give the users the possibility to leave some things as they are. And it can't be that hard this time, because the option already exists on the desktop...

• Like 1

And the widgets should at least have the same height on the iPad.

The Pinned Notes widget has double the size, compared to filterable widgets or the Task widget. Therefore it looks very asymmetrical and inconsistent, if for example Pinned Notes is in the first row and all other widgets below it are offset and not on one line...

• Level 5

Round corners ...

Tell you what: There is a feedback function build into the clients. You can use it to feed EN-PM directly. Give them the corner radius as well, just to make sure the new design will match your distinguished sense of space and time.

16 hours ago, ABEN said:
I'm crying right now... 😢 Why can't you guys just leave things alone that were fine, or let us have the option to leave things as they were before, the way we want them?

A recent example is the new view on iPad....I have each of all the widgets in ONE single horizontal row, just like on the Mac and iPhone. This made everything look the same to me - and I found my way around Evernote just fine.

Now thanks to the crappy update, the view is completely ruined, as all the widgets have been squished together completely unsorted. At least gives us the option, like on the Mac (desktop), to make the widgets 100% width in a row.... and for the people who want the new view, the option to make the widgets display more compact, like you forced us to do now.

There is no software company from which I have been so often so disappointed. I don't know what's going on in the heads of your UX and UI designers anymore. Give us customers at least a few more individual options to leave things as they were, if they like it better that way.

Too often lately you ruin good things and don't give a damn about the things in Evernote, that we customers really want to be improved, things we want back, or new things we want to be implemented.

So I hope, that in the next update you'll give us the ability to display the widgets on the iPad in full width again, like it was before. 

I couldn’t disagree stronger! Who on earth wants an iPad to function like a giant iPhone? If you want iPhone - use the phone, I think it’s entirely reasonable that the larger screen estate is used to present more information. 

Im genuinely flabbergasted by this!. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Round corners ...

Tell you what: There is a feedback function build into the clients. You can use it to feed EN-PM directly. Give them the corner radius as well, just to make sure the new design will match your distinguished sense of space and time.

That was more of a joke to cool things down here. Thought one understands that it was not meant so seriously. :P

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, WilliamL said:

I couldn’t disagree stronger! Who on earth wants an iPad to function like a giant iPhone? If you want iPhone - use the phone, I think it’s entirely reasonable that the larger screen estate is used to present more information. 

I only use long, horizontal rows with filterable widgets (no pinned-notes-widget, no tasks-widget, no tags-widget).

The design I had before the update was similar to Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon Prime, etc. - Just wide horizontal rows below each other. And that worked best for my workflow.

I can understand that some users find the new layout better than the old one, but other users found the old one better. And that's why I think it's so important, that Evernote gives us at least a few options (like the one I mentioned above).

Because you know what? Tomorrow Evernote changes a design that you don't like and then you would want to be able to change it back to your individual needs, or don't you see it that way?

Different tastes -> And therefore different options to achieve that. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, ABEN said:

I only use long, horizontal rows with filterable widgets (no pinned-notes, no tasks, no tags).

The design I had before the update was similar to Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon Prime, etc. - Just wide horizontal rows below each other. And that worked best for my workflow.

I can understand that some users find the new layout better than the old one, but other users found the old one better. And that's why I think it's so important, that Evernote gives us at least a few options (like the one I mentioned above).

Because you know what? Tomorrow Evernote changes a design that you don't like and then you would want to be able to change it back to your individual needs, or don't you see it that way?

Different tastes -> And therefore different options to achieve that. :)

I see it as feature parity with desktop - which is what the iPad should be targeted for, not parity with a phone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

A screen is wider than tall - at least when used in landscape orientation. For iPads this is the standard, all keyboards ask for landscape. 

In landscape reaching several widgets directly from a single screen means a vertical grid. This is exactly what EN did when designing the new tablet layout.

Well done !

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

For iPads this is the standard, all keyboards ask for landscape. 

Not true - I have a BT keyboard that I use in portrait mode. And I actually use my iPad more in portrait mode than landscape for sure on a daily basis.@ABEN had a great solution above and hopefully it is something that can be implemented on iPad in the future:

image.png.21864796b0d1da45d9061e8d52b91c59.png

I would like the Home to go back to how it was before, but understand that EN made this change and am stuck with it.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

A Bluetooth Keyboard usually does not couple physically with the iPad. But you understood very well, I am talking about the official Apple keyboards, and similar designs by 3rd party providers. Who uses the iPad as a prioritized device will usually go with these keyboards, because they protect the screen on the move as well.

For me the new design feels great.

What is IMHO more important than that: EN seems to start to acknowledge the importance of tablets as an own class of devices, and that a plain mobile app will not do in the long run. The creation of a home screen for tablets is a great move in that direction.

I see the very fundamental criticism - the first post about it screams "RUINED" in capital letters - as a slap into the face of those who worked (presumably hard) to develop it. Do you guys intend to stop that tablets are served better in the future ? At least you behave as if this was your goal !

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

What is IMHO more important than that: EN seems to start to acknowledge the importance of tablets as an own class of devices, and that a plain mobile app will not do in the long run. The creation of a home screen for tablets is a great move in that direction.

This I agree with 100%!

I do not agree that the recent update RUINED it at all. I also see it as a great step in the direction of iPadOS branching from iOS that can only lead to a much more robust and functional iPad app. Even if I would like the old home back, or at least the option to go back to it :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

A Bluetooth Keyboard usually does not couple physically with the iPad. But you understood very well, I am talking about the official Apple keyboards, and similar designs by 3rd party providers. Who uses the iPad as a prioritized device will usually go with these keyboards, because they protect the screen on the move as well.

I see the very fundamental criticism - the first post about it screams "RUINED" in capital letters - as a slap into the face of those who worked (presumably hard) to develop it. Do you guys intend to stop that tablets are served better in the future ? At least you behave as if this was your goal !

I agree with you that Evernote is going in the right direction and paying more attention to the tablet, for example.

But I would also like you to understand, that I was so frustrated, because Evernote (once again) broke something that was actually fine. And the reason I was so emotional is, because again the emotions and frustration came up from the switch to Evernote 10 at the end of 2020, where they broke a lot of things that (at least from the user's perspective) were actually fine.

Many users, like you and me, have almost their entire digital life in Evernote and work several hours a day with it. And if you can't rely on certain things staying stable for once (and you don't always have to be afraid that everything will be arbitrarily changed again with the next update), then hopefully you can understand me why I reacted so emotionally and why my trust in Evernote was broken once again.

And that's why I plead over and over again to give users more setting options and try to understand and consider multiple perspectives of users!!

And then it doesn't matter if they worked on it for a long time or not, if the users don't like it, they don't like it and you have to listen to the users, respond to their wishes and improve it if necessary.

(I myself have worked on software projects, that I thought were awesome. It's just that the users didn't think so. Then I got together with the users, listened to them and improved things -> And now they love it! And that's again the reason why I say, that you always should look at one thing (in this case a new feature) from different perspectives. I hope you're starting to understand, that just because you like it yourself, doesn't mean everyone else will!)  🙏

• Level 5

The prior version of the Home Screen was IMHO far from ideal, because it was the „infinity“ version of a phone app. The screen extended to the right, turning its dimensions from phone-portrait into tablet-landscape. 

But it did not allow to place more widgets, because these stayed one on top of the other, like on the narrow phone display. 

What they did now was to add a vertical segmentation, and use it to display more widgets in the available width.

Anybody can ask for different. However since the forum is mainly populated by other users, it is better to use the feedback function to reach EN PM.

49 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The prior version of the Home Screen was IMHO far from ideal, because it was the „infinity“ version of a phone app. The screen extended to the right, turning its dimensions from phone-portrait into tablet-landscape. 

But it did not allow to place more widgets, because these stayed one on top of the other, like on the narrow phone display. 

What they did now was to add a vertical segmentation, and use it to display more widgets in the available width.

Anybody can ask for different. However since the forum is mainly populated by other users, it is better to use the feedback function to reach EN PM.

And once again you look at the matter only from your perspective - instead of considering other perspectives as well. 

And how other perspectives (like mine) look at the matter, I have already explained X times.

Well, let's leave this topic for now and hope that Evernote offers a solution for both perspectives, where you can set yourself which width each widget should have.

I still appreciate your work and contribution here on the forum and also thank Evernote for continuing to provide a great product - and something like the above solution will hopefully be integrated into the updates for the tablet very soon. 😇

Toröö :)

• ABEN changed the title to Please give us users again the option to set the width of the widgets on tablet ourselves (like on desktop), instead of making all widgets only narrow and compact (like it is now in version 10.27).
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I've now taken my emotions out of the title and written it a bit more soberly, as I've calmed down and just hope they'll still provide the customization (mentioned in the thread above) in the near future. 😇

• Like 3

I agree, the change is annoying. I work in multiple notes and notebooks every week. With the current layout, I can only see two notes/notebooks at a time. I’m constantly finding myself scrolling to get to the notes I need to update.

We’re paying to customize our homes. How about giving up the option of 1, 2, or 3 column layouts? How hard could that be?

Bret

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 4:37 PM, PinkElephant said:

OK, you are disappointed. And I am happy (about the new view, not your disappointment).

So I would say it is in a balance now. We will see from the comments how it goes from here.

PinkElephant - your replies are the meanest replies I've ever seen on this forum!  NVM that I don't like the vertical layout on my tablet either, your post is all about being right.  

I'm with ABEN.  Options and choice is good... not mandates without options. 

• Like 1
On 2/18/2022 at 2:17 AM, PinkElephant said:

Round corners ...

How do I block PinkElephant?

On 2/18/2022 at 11:04 AM, WilliamL said:

I see it as feature parity with desktop - which is what the iPad should be targeted for, not parity with a phone. 

I love the way Home works on a desktop and would like to duplicate that with my ipad. The current Home on the ipad is way too busy.

Being able to widen the most commonly used widgets would prioritize the real estate for individual tastes.

It’s wonderful on here without narcissistic PinkElephants!

• Confused 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/18/2022 at 2:15 PM, WilliamL said:

I agree with Aben. I wonder if some of the disagreements here are because maybe there are different understanding of what he wants. For instance you (WilliamL) say "I think it’s entirely reasonable that the larger screen estate is used to present more information" and yes, what you say is entirely reasonable and if I thought that Aben's suggestion meant presenting less information then I too would be flabbergasted but, as someone who shares his strong desire for more flexibility on widget sizes, I do not believe that is what he is saying.

As an example my biggest frustration when using the Evernote Home page on my 12.9" iPad pro vs accessing the Home page via the Windows 11 Evernote app is the Notes widget which is by far the most important widget for me and is the first one on my home page. On Windows the Evernote app expands the width of the Notes widget to width to fill the whole top row of my home page so that I can see at least the top 6 of my most recent notes without scrolling. On my 12.9" iPad pro however the Notes widget only uses about 30% of the width of the iPad screen so I can only see my two most recently used notes without having to scroll within the widget (and about half of my third most recently used note). If only there was the option on the iPad to customise a widget to use the full width of the screen then my notes widget would show me at least my last 6 most recently used notes and would be far more useful.

So for me it's not about somehow making the home screen on the iPad display less information, it's actually about making it able to display more information by allowing at least some of the widgets to show a decent amount of content in them instead of only a tiny bit of content. Ironically I would say that the was the Notes widget works on the iPad right now it actually is behaving as if it was on a small phone screen rather than taking advantage of being on a big tablet screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

To reach out to EN PM, use the feedback function build into the clients.

Just as a reminder: iPad Pro users make up a fraction of all iPad users, and of those again 12.9 is a minority. I think most users of normal 10-11“ iPads are quite happy they now have the chance to see more widgets than before.

I doubt there will be another makeover just for the 12.9“ segment. But who knows …