Change the search rules for tags

Manverus

Idea

Hi,

When I am adding an existing tag to a note by using "Add tag" at the bottom of a note and I am writing the name of the tag it only shows matching tags that their name starts with the letters I have written. This is not helpful when I am looking for a tag that has e. g. some numbers or special characters at the beginning that I do not remember at the moment. Would it possible to show in this list of possible matching tags all tags that have the searched phrase in any place of its name?

E.g. I want to add tag "historical_sources", but in fact its name is "&7historical_sources". I forgot the first characters so I am just typing "historical_sources". Now it will not be searched and I have to look on the structure of my tags to find the full name of this specific tag. In most cases I just want to add tag quickly without browsing my tag list manually so the way the search engine for tags works now is a little bit annoying.

2 replies to this idea

On 2/16/2022 at 10:41 AM, Manverus said:

Would it possible to show in this list of possible matching tags all tags that have the searched phrase in any place of its name

This has been raised before. I personally like the way it works but of course I would have no problem with an option to search the way you suggest. However EN don't seem very keen on options.

The good news for you is there is more than one way to add tags. You could drag and drop form the sidebar but best for you would be to use the edit tags pop up window (alt+ctrl+T or note -> edit tags). This gives you something close to what you want.

image.png.a1f155ba1463ae36e23abdc80261a40c.png

You can only see the tags displayed within the tag hierarchy - I would personally like the option (that word again!) of having a simple alphabetical list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I was dragging tags from the tag list but this often took much time (I have a lot of tags and need to expand big part of my tags hierarchy to find one). The alt+ctrl+T way makes adding them much easier, buy still the fastest step would be just to type them in this bottom field. So, we are waiting for a new "option" from Evernote. Thanks again!

• Like 1