How do I import from OneNote?

Due to the new version of Evernote becoming unusably slow I continued with OneNote for some time. Now I want to try whether the situation improved. I however did not find any way to import OneNote notebook(s) back to Evernote.

I have a zip file with one *.one file per OneNote page. What I tried

• there is no import that can be used in Windows nor Web version of Evernote
  • the legacy version tells me that I need to use a desktop version of OneNote and not one from the store
  • I downloaded and installed "Version 16001.14326.20674.0", same message appears

So, is there any working way of importing with software one can install today? I cannot believe this workflow is not well supported, is Evernote not interested in users who already have a lot of notes at the most important competitor?

Thanks

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert

I think the only option would be to install the Evernote Legacy program alongside v10. Legacy has an import from OneNote option.

There are some projects floating around in Github and the like.  You could get your favourite search engine to have a trawl for 'export onenote to enex' or something similar and see what you can find.

I'd go with the Legacy import option for now. Once the import is complete you can switch to v10 and do the trial you have in mind.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I think the only option would be to install the Evernote Legacy program alongside v10. Legacy has an import from OneNote option.

I tried that but it was not happy with the OneNote version installed, even though the desktop one is installed, just probably too new.

Thanks for the hint that there are 3rd party projects, I'll definitely try that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

The two apps are not 1:1 compatible, which makes it difficult to build an importer. It can't convert features that have no corresponding twin in the other app. With ON it even starts with a different note - notebook structure.

Typical approaches are:

Stick with the old note application as an archive, start new stuff in the new app.

Export by converting the existing stuff into PDF files. Import the pdfs into the new application, rely on search to find what you need.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, scojjac said:

This third-party tool looks promising: https://sspeiser.github.io/onenote-export

This indeed looks promising, unfortunately it gets stuck after a few tens of MBs for me (there is also an active issue for that). Anyway, if the developer manages to fix that, this might be the least painful solution.

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Stick with the old note application as an archive, start new stuff in the new app.

Export by converting the existing stuff into PDF files. Import the pdfs into the new application, rely on search to find what you need.

Well, after being burned with the Evernote's decision to go to the servers for nearly everything I would really like to test on the full set of notes to also catch performance problems depending on the number of notes... The idea with PDF is however worth considering, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I would not expect any performance issues up to a 5 digit note count. It may become shaky at some 30.000 or more - but the initial claims of bad performance have ebbed away.

Maybe somebody with real world experience in that region can post a report here.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

A little late to this thread... but I had the same problem and finally found the solution!!

Here's how I did it (you'll need to use Windows for steps 2-3):

1. Download your OneNote files (.one) from OneDrive (this youtube video is very helpful)
  2. Open the desktop version OneNote (mine was preinstalled so I didn't have to install it) and use it to open the *.one files from step 1
  3. Install Windows version Evernote Legacy (I downloaded it here: https://www.onenotegem.com/a/others/evernote-download.html)
  4. Open Evernote Legacy and nevigate to File and you should be able to find an option to import from Microsoft OneNote and see the notes that were just opened in the desktop version OneNote.

On 3/3/2022 at 10:23 AM, informationprincess said:

I just tried installing Evernote Legacy and it doesn't have an import from OneNote option. This is really frustrating because the help article officially available makes it sound like it should be an option in the current one anyway.

Are you running Evernote Legacy under iOS?  If so, try the Windows version. (I had the same issue when I first used the iOS version. Only the Windows version Evernote Legacy has the option to import from OneNote... I guess that makes sense) 

Hope this's helpful for anyone still having the same issue!

• Like 1