Duplicate Notes Issues (Mac)

I'm not sure what happened, but evernote has duplicated hundreds (perhaps thousands) of a single note, and because you can only select 50 at a time it's impossible to delete them all without spending potentially hours. Does anyone have the same problem or know a workaround? 

• Level 5

You can raise the note limit, to about 500. This requires changing a system config file.

Apart from this option, deleting often speeds up significantly when you first quit EN, then go offline, then open EN and do the delete. When done, quit EN, go online, open EN again and let the changes sync before using it on any device. If you start using it before, the next duplicates may happen.

• 1 month later...

So I am a Mac user and I have been "storing" stuff in Evernote. Just recently I started to get serious....

One thing I was told there are some scripts out there that you can run to search Evernote for duplicates....can anyone direct me to where these might be? I would be very appreciative. Thank you for your help...

• Level 5

EN v10 does not support any scripting.

The legacy version supports scripting and can be installed side by side with v10. However I am not aware of a duplicate finder script.

I don’t think scripts are needed - just sort in „all notes“ view by title - duplicates always carry the same title, sometimes followed by a „copy + number“ extension. You can then mark unwanted copies and send them to trash.

• Evernote Expert

I'm not sure, at all, how you could get duplicates with an entirely different title. If you choose All Notes and sort by Title then you should be able to scroll the list and see notes with the same name. Possibly not as nifty as having a dupe finder but I think this is all you have at anytime soon.

EDIT: Actually it could be possible to get duplicates if a note is created by an external process. For example, I had a script I used to forward Emails to my account which, for awhile, sent two copies. So this was in effect finger problems at my side of the equation. Knowing it was happening I could quickly delete the dupe. I found the error and fixed it within a short time. Similarly I would magine it could be possible to dupe notes using an IFTTT or Zapier recipe. I don't think it would be possible to generate a duplicate note with a different name (other than with COPY at the end) within Evernote unless you intentionally renamed the duplicate.

Of course, I could be wrong. It has been known ;)

Edited by agsteele
update
  • Level 5*

There's actually no huge benefit to deleting duplicate entries,  unless there are dozens or they're a problem for another reason;  You don't get anything back - your upload limit and usage stay the same;  the amount of space taken on your system and the time to load Evernote will be the same - a single note is too small to affect that.  I just deal with duplicate notes when and if I see them,  just like outdated or incorrect information.  As a database gets bigger and bigger there's always something to tweak and this is just normal maintenance.

For the last 6 weeks or so, I have had multiple saved versions of the same note. I'm coming up empty with a solution as all the previous advice seems dated. Currently using iPhone version 10.28 and MacBook version 7.14. Any help would be appreciated. 

Edit: I'm hesitant to sync as I do not want to lose any work. 

• Level 5*

The reasons and work-arounds for duplicate notes have been well-aired in the forums,  and if you've tried any of the options you should be able to avoid some of the issues - but not syncing will almost guarantee that you DO lose notes,  because individual devices don't talk to each other directly,  they update from the server;  and if each has an 'old' version of any given note you may be updating several different versions of the same note and confusing the server even more.  Sync before and after you view or edit a note,  and frequently while you edit. 

• Shane D. changed the title to Duplicate Notes Issues (Mac)