Jump to content

Windows 11 and Evernote Legacy 6.25.2 Compatability and Issues


Recommended Posts

I am a heavy user and big fan of Evernote Legacy 6.25.2 with finding the all new totally re-designed versions of Evernote to be extremely slow, clunky and puzzlingly lacking many of the features (honed, tweaked, adjusted and optimised incrementally over about a decade) that make the final legacy version great (in fact I think the final Windows version before Legacy was the best (6.25.1 or before)).  I definitely do not want to move off Evernote Legacy which would negatively affect my daily productivity with Evernote significantly.   

I am now being prompted by my PC to update Windows 11.   Before I do this, I am wondering if any Evernote Legacy users have experienced any incompatability issues with Windows 11.  I can not find anything regarding this on the forums but if there is I would be grateful to be pointed in that direction.   Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/14/2022 at 12:14 AM, jono129 said:

I am now being prompted by my PC to update Windows 11.   Before I do this, I am wondering if any Evernote Legacy users have experienced any incompatability issues with Windows 11.  I can not find anything regarding this on the forums but if there is I would be grateful to be pointed in that direction.   Thanks.

Hello, jono129:

Here is a Google search which may be helpful: 
Evernote legacy compatibility Windows 11

I am close to firing Microsoft and Win 10... and buying a new LAPTOP (~ AMD Ryzen 7 CPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, WIN 11)... then I will partition and install Zorin 16 OS Linux (which I understand from Members of this forum, reliably runs EN Legacy using WINE).

I hope this may prove a little helpful.

Positively,
~ Alan

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

EN legacy is end of life, deprecated, nobody will change even a single „1“ to a „0“. When it shows to be not compatible with Windows 11, then it is history.

From other reports in the forum I think it will eventually work - can’t check, I am on a Mac.

v10 is working for sure …

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5

I use v10 nearly exclusively, and for me it works with an absolutely sufficient speed. I don’t care if it could be 2 seconds faster on tagging 20 notes, when it does the job within 5 seconds. The only exception I have experienced with the last releases is selecting multiple notes and then moving them to another notebook. All the other operations like merging notes, applying tags to a selection etc. works snappy.

If it is slow, a corrupted local database can be the reason. To fix it, follow this procedure:

  1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

Beside this, keep the client up to date (currently v10.33). From other forum users a gain of speed was reported when taking the app offline. I can sort of confirm this, but don’t felt the need since it is fast enough when online for me.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, persiomenezes said:

I just posted a coment asking devs to give us old good Evernote. This new Evernote is too slow.

Thanks for doing this.  I really hope Evernote looks at the stats and reverses this crazy migration to a terrible build. When I used it I couldn't find a single redeemable feature that was not already existing in Legacy.  Mind you it was so glacially slow I really had trouble putting it though its paces.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I use v10 nearly exclusively, and for me it works with an absolutely sufficient speed. I don’t care if it could be 2 seconds faster on tagging 20 notes, when it does the job within 5 seconds. The only exception I have experienced with the last releases is selecting multiple notes and then moving them to another notebook. All the other operations like merging notes, applying tags to a selection etc. works snappy.

If it is slow, a corrupted local database can be the reason. To fix it, follow this procedure:

  1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

Beside this, keep the client up to date (currently v10.33). From other forum users a gain of speed was reported when taking the app offline. I can sort of confirm this, but don’t felt the need since it is fast enough when online for me.

Thanks for your input.  When I used the new build it was vastly slower than 2 seconds here or there (which when using Evernote for many hours a day is actually also not an insiginificant delay) in fact it was essentially unusable.  I guess this might be my machine (not a Mac) but Legacy just runs so much faster and with more of the features I used constantly (eg "ctrl :" for adding a date and time stamp into a note. I really use this often - 220326 2043 now for example creates a unique stamp for which I can search for the date 26 Mar 2022 over all my notes esp for updating a register note or a log.

Link to comment
  • Level 5

The speed may depend on the computer - although on every newer equipment (without knowing let’s say 5 years and younger) that is not completely barebones it should perform „fast enough“. I even use v10 on my Raspberry Pi 4 in the web client - this is a 100$ outfit !

Featurewise the balance has tipped to v10 in the last months. There may be this isolated issue that is still missing, but overall v10 has more to offer, and does it in a consistent way.

But anyhow, your choice: Just be aware legacy may stop to work every other day. Have a Plan B ready - I personally don’t care if you decide pro v10, or any other solution. Just pick what makes you a happy camper.

Link to comment
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, jono129 said:

 I really hope Evernote looks at the stats and reverses this crazy migration to a terrible build.

I'm not sure which stats you refer to but it is never going to happen. V10 is where the company has decided to hang is hat.

My expectation is that Legacy will be retained and allowed to wither on the vine. No fixes, no support and one day an OS update will finally break Legacy and that will be it.

My personal experience is that once I committed to switching I quickly changed my ways of doing things and left Legacy behind.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...