Accessing and Editing Templates as a Standalone Journey

Neil Maxfield

Idea

Hey - as far as I can see there is no way to access your templates menu without starting a note. I would find it to be useful if i was able to access my templates, edit, delete them etc as standalone journey, without the need to start a note and then delete it. To my knowledge this doesn't yet exist, but would be overjoyed to be proved wrong. 

2 replies to this idea

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No, it does not exist. And it makes IMHO no sense, because you need to go through a note if you want to edit a template.

This means if you want to edit a template:

1. Create a new note, from that template or empty. If empty, load the template.
  2. Do the edits. The editor is the same as for every note, so it makes sense you actually have a note open to make the edits.
  3. Save the changed note as template. If necessary, remove other templates, whatever.
  4. If you do not need the note you just have blueprinted to templates in that very moment, send it to the trash.

For me this is straightforward and makes use of existing functionality.

Hey appreciate the reply. Yeh, I guess that all makes sense. And not close to a deal breaker. But I guess if I am wanting to REALLY finesse my workflow I "may" want to edit a template on the fly at a time other than when I want to use it. Say, I experience something during the working week that leads me to want to add a few lines to my GTD review template ahead of the review taking place at the weekend. Right now i have to start a note, apply the template, make the amendment, save as template, start a new note, go into templates again, delete old version, and then I still have two new notes i don't immediately need. EXTREMELY minor issue, but I certainly would appreciate the process shortcut. 

But hey - love to all :) xx

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No, it does not exist. And it makes IMHO no sense, because you need to go through a note if you want to edit a template.

This means if you want to edit a template:

1. Create a new note, from that template or empty. If empty, load the template.
  2. Do the edits. The editor is the same as for every note, so it makes sense you actually have a note open to make the edits.
  3. Save the changed note as template. If necessary, remove other templates, whatever.
  4. If you do not need the note you just have blueprinted to templates in that very moment, send it to the trash.

For me this is straightforward and makes use of existing functionality.