Lost the older price level of my subscription because of my country's new auto-renewal policies

I have been on the Premium subscription from past 2 years & my yearly subscription was fixed at the price of Rs 1500. I wanted to make use of the New year 50% offer but my billing date (renewal) was just a week ahead of the last date of the offer & also as I was an old user, & thus I couldn't make use of it so I had no options but to continue with the old price (i.e. Rs 1500). 
However, now as because of the recent Reserve Bank of India (RBI) mandate for auto-renewing subscriptions, my auto-renewal on 8 Feb couldn't be automatically processed & now I have to upgrade at a higher price (as the plans got changed some months ago😐).
It is very unfortunate that being an old member I couldn't use the New year offer & now due to my country's updated rules, I also couldn't remain on the older price.

It's really sad that there is nothing encouraging for the old users like me to get any kind of offers while the Evernote itself has been changing a lot. This feels like a 'trap'!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Akshay Dadhwal said:

This feels like a 'trap'!

Hi.  Evernote can hardly control the Bank of India...

However.  they recently reintroduced the 50% offer,  so you might catch that again - or you could contact Evernote Customer Service (which is not us) and raise the problem with them...see https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/135456-how-to-submit-a-ticket-for-a-billingpayment-issue/

14 minutes ago, gazumped said:

However.  they recently reintroduced the 50% offer,  so you might catch that again - or you could contact Evernote Customer Service (which is not us) and raise the problem with them...see https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/135456-how-to-submit-a-ticket-for-a-billingpayment-issue/

😆I am not asking them to 'control' & also this incident was unprecedented for me...I was just concerned about the elevated pricing even though I was on the older subscription plan & wanted to be there. 

And about the possibility of the 50% offer, it would be good if that's possible. Thanks, I will check it. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Fortunately I could get the 50% offer as they have extended it, & also as my account got downgraded to Free due to the failure of auto-renewal (as per the updated rules). I guess this was a blessing in disguise 😆😆 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Kiran Jonnalagadda said:

How/where did you get this offer? My subscription renewal failed this week and I'm now being offered a ₹2000 annual plan instead of the ₹1500 plan I had earlier.

I used the New year offer as it was extended for a week, but now I guess it's no more available.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Kiran Jonnalagadda said:

Evernote support said they can't honour the price they were trying to charge me just two days ago. Since I'm not willing to pay more to rectify Evernote's billing problem, I'm not renewing. Good time to liberate my legacy data from this obsolete app.

Sorry to hear that.  Good luck with whomever you choose to replace this.

• Level 5

It does not sound as a billing problem to me. Probably EN just unifies prices for the different plans all over the planet.

Those users who live with stable currencies can easily forget that users in weak currency countries will experience steep price hikes when their national coin depreciates. Would we tolerate it if the price tag is upped 20-30% per year ?

This is one of the big unresolved problems of the international exchange of goods and especially services.

This is not a currency exchange problem. Evernote has stable prices in INR. Evernote tried to charge me Rs 1500 on Sunday. My card issuer rejected the payment as it was not compliant with current regulations. Evernote promptly downgraded me to Free tier without notice. I had to look up these forums to discover what the problem and proposed solution were (use Google Play or Apple App Store). On Tuesday, customer support told me they can't keep me on the plan I was already on, that Evernote had kicked me out of due to non-compliance on their part. This is a 33% price increase for no fault of mine.

This sort of disregard for the user has been apparent for many years across the app, from horribly slow loading time to unusable formatting controls, so this a wake up call for me to take my data and leave.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

@Kiran Jonnalagadda When I go to the forum, I am annoyed since months by a message that there is a problem with payment processing in India. I am pretty sure EN tried other channels as well to get that message through.

You have my sympathy - but to me it seems a Central Bank playing games at the payment processing is at the core of the problem, not EN being unwilling to renew subscriptions.

And sure, if payment is not received, an account will be downgraded. I intentionally went twice through a downgrade (because it was the only way to use up EN points). It was handled professionally by support, and was only a minor nuisance.

Wish you well to get everything reestablished in due course.