search with single quote causes immediate app hang

A multi word search, with context at Home, and a single double quote at the end of the search string (no matching quote at the beginning) causes the windows app to hang.

10.30.6-win-ddl-public (3202)
Editor: v140.0.17554
Service: v1.47.4
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

2 hours ago, markeh said:

A multi word search, with context at Home, and a single double quote at the end of the search string (no matching quote at the beginning) causes the windows app to hang.

Not sure what "context" means but I'm assuming it is a tag. I could not replicate this but a single quotation mark at the end of a multi word search does behave strangely. In my particular example I got:

• no quotation marks 105 hits. It is searching for both words independently
  • quotation marks at the beginning and the end. 2 hits for notes containing that exact phrase
  • single quotation mark at the end (or the beginning) no hits. EN is confused as to what you want?

We all make typos from time to time and EN should fail nicely when we do. In your case it obviously doesn't.

Sorry for lack of precision. I meant while on the EN Home page/screen.

I tried a few combinations of multiple word strings with a single  "  at the end and got weird results.

But at least a few combinations caused an app hang. By hang I mean that I could neither exit or get any response from EN.

Windows would then volunteer to restart the app, but it re-started with the same search string an immediately hung again. If I deleted it quickly enough I could get out of the hang.

IMO a single " at the end of the search string could be treated as a quoted string -  I think Google searches work that way. Sort of a nice friendly behavior.

But in any case EN should behave nicely. Seems like a few cases to add to their test suite.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, markeh said:

Sorry for lack of precision. I meant while on the EN Home page/screen.

OK I did the search while on the Home screen and I can repeat the behaviour you see. EN hangs and then Windows offers to relaunch