(Archived) How do you digitise your stuff?

I've found that digitising your stuff is extremely useful - You don't have to keep the physical items anymore, it's all organised within Evernote, and you get text recognition and searching if the file is a PDF or an image, which is usually the case.

However, I don't really have a system that I can use for when scanning in my stuff, which means that I have scattered and unorganised digitised stuff that reside in Evernote now. I've tried using tags like Files-Scan, but I can't manage to keep track of the scans.

What do you guys do? Do you lump all the picture/PDF files of the scans into one note for each particular document/book, or...?

• Level 5
I've found that digitising your stuff is extremely useful - You don't have to keep the physical items anymore, it's all organised within Evernote, and you get text recognition and searching if the file is a PDF or an image, which is usually the case.

However, I don't really have a system that I can use for when scanning in my stuff, which means that I have scattered and unorganised digitised stuff that reside in Evernote now. I've tried using tags like Files-Scan, but I can't manage to keep track of the scans.

What do you guys do? Do you lump all the picture/PDF files of the scans into one note for each particular document/book, or...?

The vast majority of my notes are filed in 5 high level notebooks - Personal, Hobbies, Business, Politics and Miscellaneous.

A few of my original scanned documents are quite important and I need to retain them. Items such as: our Automobile titles, social security cards, wedding certificate, birth certificates, etc. Those scanned items are put into a dedicated local non-sync'd folder named Local-copy.

I've tried using tags like Files-Scan, but I can't manage to keep track of the scans.

I agree with Gurkha. If I scan some pages from a tech book, I don't really care that they are scans. I just label the note "vi editor commands." Then when I need to find it, I just do this search:

intitle:"vi editor"

If what I'm scanning is multipage, I scan as a PDF. If it's a single page, I may do it as PDF or jpg. I don't really have valid logic which way to go on the single pages. Normally it depends upon which scanner I'm using.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I've got 8,000 notes and never approached the limit. I even added a 78 page instruction manual just for the heck of it.

If I had a monstrosity that exceeded the limit, I would save it in multiple PDF's, but after a couple years of using Evernote, I don't foresee that happening anytime in the near future.

And if I did find the need for many huge documents to be scanned, I would double check on my scanner specs. Does it have a bright xenon lamp and high-quality lens to create a clearer and sharper image than a standard fluorescent lamp and basic lens? If yes, then I would consider scanning them at a lower CPI.

Does anyone find the 50MB storage attachment per note limiting? I've scanned in 17 pages A4 400DPI and it's used up 39MB already. The whole thing is ~80 pages and I don't think I'll be able to fit all of it into one PDF.

My largest note is 46.6 mb & that's a short video. There was a video I wanted to add, but it was too large. So I simply made a note with all info & references I would use to find that note. Then I added the full file name (with the full path), so can simply copy that & paste it into Explorer, should I need to view the movie. I know that doesn't help, if you need to actually view the attachment away from your computer. In that case, like jbenson suggested, I'd either scan at a lower resolution or divide it into parts.

Archived