Quicker Ways To Play Videos?

Are there currently any better ways to play video attachments (MP4) without needing to download it first? For a productivity application, that seems rather counterproductive. I remember very briefly using Nimbus Note and that being one of the features I miss. Upload MP4, MOV, it didn't really matter, you could just stream it within the note using the built-in video player. I never needed to download anything.

Currently, outside of YouTube embeds, this does not seem possible. Has anyone found a workaround? Perhaps an extension or such for Evernote Web?

I feel like I asked this before but can't remember. In any case, would love to hear any ideas anyone has about how to best workaround this.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Sylvio said:

without needing to download it first?

If you're downloading I assume this is to a mobile device?  (It's always useful to know what device, OS and Evernote version you want help with)

Evernote defaults to not storing notes or their content onto mobile devices for reasons of speed and storage space.  It is possible to make the notes accessible locally if your device has enough storage - just set the note up in a notebook for 'offline access'.  It'll take a while to pre-load the note(s) and their content,  but you should then have pretty quick access.  (Provided of course that you saved the actual video file and not just a link to it.)

Set up offline notebooks on mobile devices

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you're downloading I assume this is to a mobile device?  (It's always useful to know what device, OS and Evernote version you want help with)

Evernote defaults to not storing notes or their content onto mobile devices for reasons of speed and storage space.  It is possible to make the notes accessible locally if your device has enough storage - just set the note up in a notebook for 'offline access'.  It'll take a while to pre-load the note(s) and their content,  but you should then have pretty quick access.  (Provided of course that you saved the actual video file and not just a link to it.)

Thanks for that. For mobile devices that actually makes sense and it's pretty quick, but I was actually referring to the latest Evernote Web. I'm running the latest Evernote V10 and on Chrome / Chromebook.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Sylvio said:

I was actually referring to the latest Evernote Web.

...And the same comments apply really - notes,  which are effectively just web pages,  load a lot faster without the odd 2MB attachment,  and if you're browsing on someone else's device,  the less local clutter you have,  the better.  Use the installed app instead,  where notes and attachments (??) are still (at least temporarily) saved locally.

I don't actually know definitely whether attachments are still part of the local cache - one option,  if that turns out not to be the case,  could be cloud storage.  Some providers allow media files to be played from storage so a link to a cloud file would play much faster than a download-and-play option.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 03.02.2022 at 13:25, gazumped said:

There are several options for an ancient climate change vector, which has piqued my curiosity recently. This gave me a lot of inspiration for creating my own project on this topic. It's fantastic that such upscale photo free may still be available with the aid of modern technology.

I'm trying to do it for offline access, thank you

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, MitchelGregory said:

I'm trying to do it for offline access, thank you

Hi.  You're welcome.  To confirm you're not a 'bot,  can you advise your device, OS and Evernote version?

• 6 months later...

I've had a similar issue and found that using a cloud storage service like Google Drive or Dropbox works well. You can upload your MP4 files there and play them directly without downloading them. It's not a perfect solution, but it helps, especially if juggling multiple files. 

As for your specific need, you should also check out some free MP4 editor options, I really like Movavi; they offer streaming capabilities and can be quite handy for quick edits or previews.