Chat Notebook

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to create a notebook specifically for chatting? So the notebook will contain notes - each note will contain a subject for specific discussion and team members can put in their messages and names or just initials or nicknames ? I am going to experiment this with my team so we don’t have to go to another platform like Slack, WhatsApp etc. to discuss things. I prefer to do everything in Evernote as much as possible. I understand that it wouldn’t be as snappy as instant messaging platforms but in my case I would just check for new messages every hour or so... has anyone tried this?

(I know Evernote has a work chat function but I can’t use notelinks there and sometimes I want to share images by just copy pasting something. Also can’t categorise chat subjects)

Edited by carol_abella
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Are all these chatters Evernote users?  How will they be getting access to the chat note?  And what version of Evernote will be running the host pages?  I'm inclined to believe this is probably an impractical idea as stated - you might be better off with Work Chat and or the Slack integration for Evernote...  Please note I could easily be wrong (and often am!) and what you could do is select a victim...  sorry,  colleague...  and run a trial for a few days,  just to see what happens.

• Level 5*

Aha!  Then I guess you should be able to do it - a central notice board accessed by team members should be ideal.  No clue if anyone else has done it,  but there may be more comments in the next few hours here,  or you could go ahead and try it out as I suggested.  Please do come back and let us know how you get on,  regardless...  :)

• Like 1

Neat idea. I'm sure that would work quite nicely as long as they don't edit at one time.

Collaboration on notes has been a nightmare for my partner and I. It locks you out because it can for some reason only have one person edit at one time and even when they stopped editing, it wouldn't let me type for a few minutes, so I had to wait until they closed/refreshed their tab and I had to do the same for it to unlock for me. Strange, given that collaboration should allow multiple people working on a note at once, but oh well.

I believe what you want should work great though, I personally never thought of doing that but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Sylvio said:

Neat idea. I'm sure that would work quite nicely as long as they don't edit at one time.

NB This works because we're talking about a Teams account where every member has their own individual Personal account,  plus access to a central Teams account that can contain Libraries of data about ongoing business products,  employee onboarding,  how-to's  etc,  etc...

For the reasons you already found in https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/140793-better-collaboration/ it does NOT work on individual accounts,  hence my - 

On 2/2/2022 at 12:07 AM, gazumped said:

I'm inclined to believe this is probably an impractical idea as stated - you might be better off with Work Chat and or the Slack integration for Evernote... 

- which might be alternative suggestions for you too.  (Or you could upgrade to Teams!)

I still have the old EN business account before v10 came out. I sort of do this chat notebook already with 2 other colleagues on the business account. the attachment is a template that shows how we "chat" in the note and how we use notelinks for a client's case. We take turns in editing the note. Sometimes my colleague forgets to "release" the note because he's gone off to do something else, and the note's locked for a long time, so I would have to ping him or DM him that I need to edit the note.

I also have a new personal account that i just bought (as it was 50% off) and I'm curious to see if multiple users of upto 3 can share this one account and using the same way of "chatting". I could use it for family and household management or for a different team in a different region. But I did sign up to Slack as you suggested. ... and already I am loving it. But the chat note will probably remain, as it's sort of like a logbook/table of contents of a notebook showing events that transpired. But it's not really chatting... but I like the idea of categorising chats so youre right slack is probably a much better alternative and i'll just integrate EN.

At any rate I will be subscribing to Teams as well for the experience.

2.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
33 minutes ago, carol_abella said:

Sometimes my colleague forgets to "release" the note because he's gone off to do something else, and the note's locked for a long time

Ah.  I didn't know whether that would be the case in Business/ Teams since there's the 'shared' access to Library notesbooks,  but I guess it makes sense.  Don't know how various other providers (like Google) allow multiple access to the same document for editing - if that's actually what they do;  clearly if changes are being made by more than one person,  there's a good chance that the changes made by one will ruin (or restore) changes made by another...

Everyone needs their own access to make and save changes,  then the next person can get involved,  and the next...   ^_^