Issue with "Speak Selection" in Evernote Desktop for Mac

Go to solution Solved by BattousaiX,

I found 12 entries for "text to speech", and none of them addresses my issue, so I presume this is not a repeated topic.

On the Mac "Option + ESC" (default shortcut) activates Speak Selection, which works very well in almost every other app. Like most, I use Evernote extensively and frequently have sections of notes read back to me. 

The issue is with Evernote Desktop, which I prefer over the web app, which doesn't have this problem. 

In the desktop app, Speak Selection only works on the first selection. When I want to have another selection readout, it starts reading from the top of the note instead of reading just the selection. If I go to another note, the same thing happens. If I restart Evernote, it will read the first selection, and again after that, it will start reverting to the top, ignoring the selection.

Evernote for iPhone and iPad do not have this problem. 

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

___
Evernote
10.28.3-mac-mas-public (458898) 
Editor: v138.1.17456 
Service: v1.45.0

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
On 3/27/2022 at 2:34 AM, kper said:

I'm also having this issue. 

Hi, kper. 

Yes, the issue was resolved by Evernote Support. It turns out that the problem only happens with the Apple Mac Store version. Downloading the app directly from evernote.com resolved the issue.

I am not sure whether it will work for you, but there is no harm in trying.

Best,

B-X

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for posting. This matches a pattern with the AppStore download. It is the same software, but it runs in a sandbox, sort of protected mode.

We had a similar problem with sharing - it only worked with the direct install.