New Evernote update for Android - *****!!!

It's the *****..est update for a long time.

It doesn't stop syncing! 

The LOADING colour bar doesn't stop either - it is loading something all the time. 

The app also turned OFF the offline notebooks by itself! 

C'mon!!! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  We're mainly just other users around here.  I suggest raising a support ticket if you can to send a copy of the logs to Evernote.  Otherwise,  just kill and uninstall the app,  restart your device and re-download/ install the latest version.  NB you'll have to re-create your offline notebooks and wait for them to be repopulated with notes from the server via sync. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  We're mainly just other users around here.  I suggest raising a support ticket if you can to send a copy of the logs to Evernote.  Otherwise,  just kill and uninstall the app,  restart your device and re-download/ install the latest version.  NB you'll have to re-create your offline notebooks and wait for them to be repopulated with notes from the server via sync. 

Thanks for reply anyway. I think I want them to fix this. This is not the first bug of this new iteration. Of course, I created the support tickets. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this, but I'm glad that you created a ticket. Good luck!

I've also had similar experiences, so I'm hoping for the best.

For me, what usually works is selecting Force stop of the Evernote application in Android settings. What I find is that it does in fact sync, but the sync bar just keeps going like there's more to do.

I don't understand it, but it seems the Android version gets minimal attention at Evernote. I never see an Android PM or Dev commenting about plans or issues, and the app has known bugs that haven't been fixed in over a year. I just don't get it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I don't understand it, but it seems the Android version gets minimal attention at Evernote. I never see an Android PM or Dev commenting about plans or issues, and the app has known bugs that haven't been fixed in over a year. I just don't get it.

I don't understand it either. One of the best philosophies in the tech industry that I love is an excerpt from an article that read: "Don’t build an app based on your website. Build the app that acts as if websites never existed in the first place. Build the app for the person who has never used a desktop computer. Because they’re coming. Soon."  Looks like Evernote still hasn't caught up with how fast things are moving in the world of smartphones. Right now, although improved, it seems like an afterthought. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Actually the Android app has had plenty of attention. In fact the same as iOS. It has had 25 revisions since v10 was launched.

Whether the attention given is what we think is needed is an entirely different question.

Until the latest version I've found each update to be an improvement. V10.25 seems to have broken the ability to share from other applications into Evernote. This is particularly frustrating for me but I anticipate that a fix will be along soon.

I don't consider Android to be the poor relation compared to others but, yes, it does need more work.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

Actually the Android app has had plenty of attention. In fact the same as iOS. It has had 25 revisions since v10 was launched.

Whether the attention given is what we think is needed is an entirely different question.

Until the latest version I've found each update to be an improvement. V10.25 seems to have broken the ability to share from other applications into Evernote. This is particularly frustrating for me but I anticipate that a fix will be along soon.

I don't consider Android to be the poor relation compared to others but, yes, it does need more work.

I believe Android version is constantly developed. It has the same changes Windows version has, so I have no issues here. But this bug annoys me. 

12 hours ago, agsteele said:

8 hours ago, Doministry said:

I believe Android version is constantly developed. It has the same changes Windows version has, so I have no issues here. But this bug annoys me. 

I don't buy that the Android and iOS versions are on par. The iOS version appears to have fewer annoying bugs and better performance. Some off the record chatter from Evernote employees indicates that almost none of them run Android as a daily driver, including the CEO and most leadership, which in my opinion likely factors into why the Android app is behind the iOS app.

I see they have an open position for a principal Android engineer, and not for iOS. Hopefully that's an indication that they know they need some more engineering talent with deep experience in the Android ecosystem. 

• Level 5

From the feature set and general design I think Android and iOS app are virtual twins.

From what I see on the forum this is not true for bugs & performance. iOS had the main issues fixed with rel. 10.6 (now on 10.25). There are a few remaining bugs, some even iOS exclusive. But their impact is minor.

With Android there are still much more reports in the forum about issues unknown to me from the iOS client.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have moved back to the legacy version as I REALLY do NOT like the look of the new version.

I just want my notes and not all the glut of other stuff that comes with the new version.

If I could get the new version to look like the legacy version I would move up to it in a heart beat.

• Level 5

You ever use Excel ? Or Numbers ? Or similar ?

Imagine: Excel sports more than 400 functions. How many have you ever used ? 40 ? But still you have to pick „your“ functions from an endless list of 400. The ribbons or side menus are full of stuff you never used, and will never use. Still it is there.

But you continue to use these programs.

Why do you expect from EN to be tailored to your personal use cases ? Just what you want, nothing else. Or worse: Only what you have already used in the past, forbidding every step of innovation and added value. The world is turning, like it or not.

Take what you want, and ignore the rest.

I use excel and the main look of the program has not really changed that much.

Evernote has changed quite a bit though

As I pay a yearly subscription what is wrong with me wanting it to look how I want it to look.

I am willing to pay money every year just to have an app to take and show my notes.

If you can tailor the home screen why not let me Taylor it to just show my notes and nothing else?

• Level 5

Nice one … I used Excel with version 1.5.1 when I used it first*. Boy, it looked a lot different from what it looks today. It WAS a lot different from what it is today - although if you know the nucleus, you can still see it below all the layers that were added since.

(*) Just to mention: This was 1989, running on an original Macintosh SE. Excel initially was Mac only, it did not exist for MS-DOS or the first MS Windows 3.1.

Sure you can wish to get options to strip EN down. I doubt it will happen, but I might be proven wrong, who knows.

You should use the feedback function of the clients, or issue a support ticket. The forum is mainly user2user.

• Like 1