Since 10.25 web clipper not working

Hi there,

since the recent update to 10.25 the web clipper on Android in Chrome doesn't seem to work. It goes through all the motions and no error is displayed, but the note doesn't show up in Evernote. Before it would show up in black, saying that it is loading and after a while was there. This is not happening anymore. Tapping the synchronize button doesn't help.

Any idea what is going on and how I can clip again on my phone?

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

This is a subtle distinction. There isn't a web clipper in the mobile apps. Rather, Evernote uses the Android/iOS share function.

So the first thing to check is that the Share is working from Chrome in general. I am aware that Chrome is currently receiving some significant security updates.

I don't, yet, have v10.25 so I can't check on my device.

Yes, the share function works in Chrome. I am often using it to copy URLs to clipboard. Also sharing from Chrome to Evernote does bring up Evernote and the possiblity to select notebook etc. and the dialog disappears after tapping confirm. However, the content of the URL is not stored.

• Level 5

On iOS clipping still works. It does not look good, but the web Clip is created and stored.

Clipping using the real web clipper on a desktop is infinitely better, since EN controls the way the content is created as well.

As a workaround I often create a pdf from the web site, and share this into EN. To get the URL, I copy it manually form the browser and insert it into the new note. Not into the URL field, because it is locked to editing, but into the notes body.

Creating a pdf of a full website „as it shows“ is super easy with the iOS screenshot feature. It allows to grab „full website“ instead of just the screen, and share it as a pdf into EN.

• Like 1

Raised a support ticket as well. I'm on Android 12 using Firefox 96.3.0 and Evernote app v10.25.

My workaround is to share to email and send it to my Evernote email address. That gets it into Evernote with the source URL and then I go back and clip from my PC.

• Like 1

I had an email conversation with support earlier and the following steps solved the issue, at least for me:

As per support "Before reinstalling Evernote for Android, make sure to copy the contents of any unsynced notes somewhere outside of the Evernote app. Any unsynced notes (marked by red or green corners) and photos are deleted when you reinstall the app. To save any unsynced notes, tap the options menu (three dots) and select Note Info > Export Note and select a save location."

After doing the above, if needed, delete the phone app's cache and data, after which uninstall the app.

Restart your phone.

Download the Evernote phone app from Google Play and reinstall.

Sharing to Evernote on phone now working. Tested on both Firefox and Chrome Android browsers.

Hope that helps someone.

• Thanks 3
On 1/31/2022 at 2:08 AM, JenTo said:

As per support "Before reinstalling Evernote for Android, make sure to copy the contents of any unsynced notes somewhere outside of the Evernote app. Any unsynced notes (marked by red or green corners) and photos are deleted when you reinstall the app. To save any unsynced notes, tap the options menu (three dots) and select Note Info > Export Note and select a save location."

After doing the above, if needed, delete the phone app's cache and data, after which uninstall the app.

I'm not sure why this worked for you as this is not the way the Android interface has ever worked on my phone. When I share something to Evernote no matter what app it comes from, the app I am in is minimized and the Evernote app opens up. The "saving dialogue box" opens and asks where to save the item and for any tags I may have. After tapping save, it plays the saving graphic and then show the plain Evernote app UI, but the note I am sharing is NOT loaded right away.

This is when I, as the user, must wait a minimum of 30 seconds for the note to actually load into my notebook. If I do not wait with the app open and the screen on, the note will not sync, ever. It if I open the app up a day later and wait for 30 seconds, the note will then load into my notebook. If I save 4 more notes in the meantime the same way, and then open Evernote 3 days later and wait 30 seconds, all the notes I have subsequently shared from Android will load 1 at a time. It will take 30 seconds per note I have shared to load, so in this case I would need to wait 2:30 before all my notes will sync into the notebook. If the screen locks while doing this, nothing will sync.

My question here is where are these notes that are in "que"???? They are being cached somewhere because Evernote "known" there is que and loads them chronologically.

I have been saving notes since Jan 25th waiting to do my weekly sync where I leave youtube playing PIP so the screen doesn't lock while I wait for every note to load.

I want to backup the que of notes pending to sync from my Android device before I have to uninstall the app to fix this bug.

Any help is much appreciated!!

• Ex Employees

Hello. Thanks for these reports. We're working on a fix for this issue now. In the meantime please reinstall the app as a workaround. After reinstalling there should be no problems when sharing to Evernote. Please let us know if that's not the case. 

Note: Notes created by sharing to the Evernote app can sometimes take up to 30 seconds to appear within the app, as @EZ-KEELmentioned. We're working on improvements to reduce this time. This is separate from the original report affecting version 10.25  where items shared to Evernote never save. Again, please reinstall to resolve that issue. Thanks for your patience while we work on these improvements! 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...