Web clipper keyboard combination no longer seems to work EN v10 windows desktop

When I started EN v10 windows desktop today I noticed that the web clipper was no longer working.  I opened the keyboards shortcuts and tried to enter the combination of keys that I always use under the "capture screen" global option.  I usually use the windows logo+Pring Scrn.  This was not accepted as an option.  So I tried another combination of keys and this one worked.  However,  now I see something pop up called "Snipping tool" which I don't really recognize.  It seems to work in the sense that it allows me to capture part of the screen and send it to EN but it also has a lot of other functionalities that I've never encountered before. In fact, it looks more like a windows tool than an EN feature.  Anyone know how I can use the clipping key combo I've always used?  And is this snipping tool something new?

There has always been two quite distinct clipping tools. I'm not really sure which one you are talking about. There is an extension to the browser for clipping webpages. There is an extensive list of shortcuts found in settings

image.png.9add8173fd674a4cde25b6daff511d2c.png

There is also a screeen capture utilty that can be accessed from the elephant icon in the task bar (or from the shortcut):

image.png.a7bb760ec2addcc0792b6b72b848ea22.png

Does that help?

When I used to clip on my windows desktop I would simply use Windows Logo+Print Scrn and it would immediately open up the EN clipper.  Now I am unable to select that particular key combination and when I set a different key combination (Win Logo + C) it just opens up this "snipping tool" which has a little scissors icon and all sorts of options that I've never seen before.  Fortunately it does clip the selection and it does drop it into EN but it certainly looks like nothing I've ever used before (and I've been clipping in EN for 12 years).   One very nice feature of this snipping tool is that it also allows you to email the snipped section but for some reason the default client that it chooses is Outlook??  I haven't used outlook in many years but it resides on my computer as part of an older Microsoft office 2007 program.  My operating system is windows 7 and I am still trying to understand why the snipping tool is choosing this as the default.

1 hour ago, idoc said:

When I used to clip on my windows desktop I would simply use Windows Logo+Print Scrn and it would immediately open up the EN clipper.  Now I am unable to select that particular key combination and when I set a different key combination (Win Logo + C) it just opens up this "snipping tool" which has a little scissors icon and all sorts of options that I've never seen before.  Fortunately it does clip the selection and it does drop it into EN but it certainly looks like nothing I've ever used before (and I've been clipping in EN for 12 years).   One very nice feature of this snipping tool is that it also allows you to email the snipped section but for some reason the default client that it chooses is Outlook??  I haven't used outlook in many years but it resides on my computer as part of an older Microsoft office 2007 program.  My operating system is windows 7 and I am still trying to understand why the snipping tool is choosing this as the default.

So what happens with alt+ctrl+S?

1 hour ago, idoc said:

I have this problem on a Win 10 laptop. When I press alt+ctrl+S the snipping tool opens. I have to open Evernote Legacy and minimize or close it for the EN clipper to work on Evernote v10

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, jmckimm said:

I have this problem on a Win 10 laptop. When I press alt+ctrl+S the snipping tool opens. I have to open Evernote Legacy and minimize or close it for the EN clipper to work on Evernote v10

You can't have the same shortcut working in both Legacy and v10 at the same time. Disable three screen snip inside legacy and it will work just fine in V10 or vice versa.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, agsteele said:

You can't have the same shortcut working in both Legacy and v10 at the same time. Disable three screen snip inside legacy and it will work just fine in V10 or vice versa.

Appreciate the tip. I just disabled the capture screen shortcut in Legacy. With v10, it still doesn't work. I just submitted a ticket. It seems Windows 10 wants to open the Snipping Tool first. My other install works fine, but I never installed Legacy there. 

Yes,  I still have the same problem even after disabling the capture screen shortcut in Legacy. No matter which shortcut I use it still defaults to the snipping tool. Another oddity is that  EN v10 does not seem to allow me to use Win Logo+Print Scrn as a clipping option (which I believe used to work with v10).  

Actually I got in touch with tech support and they told me that this bizarre "snipping tool" is the expected behavior in v10.  They also told me that I could not use the shortcut combination keys that I had previously used.  In essence, they are telling me that this is normal.  Bottom line is that on v10 the usual clipper that we've always used is not the one that pops up when you want to do a screen capture.  Instead you get this "snipping tool" which is totally different.  It doesn't seem to give you options of how you want your clip to look eg:article, or which notebook in EN it goes to etc.  So this seems to have replaced the clipper that Legacy used.  Also, shortcut key combos that work on Legacy will not work on v10 in all cases (according to EN tech support).

• Level 5

There - is - no - web - clipper -on - mobile - - -  it - uses - the - sharing - function !

It is that simple, but sure anybody can make a fuzz out of the simple things.

Best clipping: Use a „real“ computer, install the web clipper extension on the browser and use it for clipping. When you do, EN is in control of what it takes from the website, and how it is rebuild as that web clip container in the new note.

On mobile devices the OS decides about which content they will fetch from the website. It puts it into a „sharing container“ and sends it to the target app. Only when this container is received by EN, the EN app kicks in and tries to make sense of what it finds in the sharing inbox. Little wonder the result is not always convincing.

Personally I often grab web pages as pdf on my iOS devices. Links will not work, but I get a very clean, perfectly readable visual copy of the site. Most of the times all the ***** filling modern websites is simply eliminated by screenshooting it - sometimes assisted by flipping the site to all-on-one-page display and reader mode.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There - is - no - web - clipper -on - mobile - - -  it - uses - the - sharing - function !

It is that simple, but sure anybody can make a fuzz out of the simple things.

Best clipping: Use a „real“ computer, install the web clipper extension on the browser and use it for clipping. When you do, EN is in control of what it takes from the website, and how it is rebuild as that web clip container in the new note.

On mobile devices the OS decides about which content they will fetch from the website. It puts it into a „sharing container“ and sends it to the target app. Only when this container is received by EN, the EN app kicks in and tries to make sense of what it finds in the sharing inbox. Little wonder the result is not always convincing.

Personally I often grab web pages as pdf on my iOS devices. Links will not work, but I get a very clean, perfectly readable visual copy of the site. Most of the times all the ***** filling modern websites is simply eliminated by screenshooting it - sometimes assisted by flipping the site to all-on-one-page display and reader mode.

Pink, maybe we are misunderstanding.  I am using EN v10 on a my windows desktop ie: it is not a "mobile".  The extension on Chrome is already there because it is the webclipper extension that I have used for many years with Legacy.  It always worked flawlessly.  My point is that v10 is no longer using that webclipper as far as I can tell.  Legacy's webclipper was set up using the extension in Chrome and you could ask it to do all sorts of things.  It would open up with crosshairs etc.  It was a very nice webclipper.  The one with v10 is a snipping tool and it does not seem to interface with the google chrome extension or to give you any of those options we used to have with webclipper on legacy.  Am I misunderstanding something?

I got my original workaround working again. For me, I have to disable the Snipping Tool. I went to: C:\windows\system32 and renamed it from snippingtool.exe to snippingtool.bak (I got a TrustedInstaller error and had to google how to get around this)

For the clipping tool to work I have load Evernote Legacy. Then I close it and run v10. As long as I have Evernote Legacy loaded, I can use the Web Clipper. 

But it remains perplexing. My other installation of Win 10 and v10 Evernote works fine with the Web Clipper (and without Evernote Legacy).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jmckimm said:

I got my original workaround working again. For me, I have to disable the Snipping Tool. I went to: C:\windows\system32 and renamed it from snippingtool.exe to snippingtool.bak (I got a TrustedInstaller error and had to google how to get around this)

For the clipping tool to work I have load Evernote Legacy. Then I close it and run v10. As long as I have Evernote Legacy loaded, I can use the Web Clipper. 

But it remains perplexing. My other installation of Win 10 and v10 Evernote works fine with the Web Clipper (and without Evernote Legacy).

Yes, you're right...this works perfectly.  As long as I have Legacy working in the background I can use the correct webclipper and even the key combo that I like.  It works perfectly clipping directly into v10.  This even works if shut down Legacy by clicking the little X on the upper right.  However, if I formally exit from Legacy by quitting it ceases to work.  The tech support people never mentioned this workaround so I'm very glad jmckimm pointed this out.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Web clipper ...

Bildschirmfoto_2022-01-26_um_02_51_49.jpeg.54490efc4c0c907af5d45e3d0aa66efb.jpeg

Installed in a browser, as an extension, made to clip content from websites. Opposite to the EN helpers, it needs to be installed separately, by the extensions manager of the browser you use.

There is just one web clipper, it does not depend on whether you are on v10 or legacy. It clips through its own access into the server database, it runs independent from the EN client. It can even be used when there is no EN client installed on a computer.

The helpers depend on the client. v10 always starts with he main app, the legacy helper can be configured to start without the app starting first. But still the legacy client must be installed to make it work.

• Level 5

Conclusion: If you want to talk about cats, and you say what you want to say, but instead of cat you always say dog, the conversation may get difficult to follow, and tips & tricks about how to take your lovely pet for a walk may sound of little practical use.

If you want to discuss the helpers, call them what they are officially called.

If you want to talk about the web clipper, we can continue to talk about the web clipper. There is only one its breed.

9 hours ago, idoc said:

The extension on Chrome is already there because it is the webclipper extension that I have used for many years with Legacy.  It always worked flawlessly.

And it still does. After numerous posts I am still confused about whether you are talking about the webclipper chrome extension (which is nothing to do with V10) or the screencapture facility accessed from the elephant icon in the taskbar.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mike P said:

And it still does. After numerous posts I am still confused about whether you are talking about the webclipper chrome extension (which is nothing to do with V10) or the screencapture facility accessed from the elephant icon in the taskbar.

In my post I did inadvertently mention the "Web Clipper." I meant the "Capture Screen" in Evernote v10 (Windows Version). I saw mention of the dreaded Windows Snipping Tool, which I have been wrestling with for months and wanted to chime in. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, jmckimm said:

In my post I did inadvertently mention the "Web Clipper." I meant the "Capture Screen" in Evernote v10 (Windows Version). I saw mention of the dreaded Windows Snipping Tool, which I have been wrestling with for months and wanted to chime in. 

Fortunately for me the Windows snipping tool is reliably Win+shift+S and the EN clipping tool is alt+ctrl+S. I haven't attempted to change either form the default.

OK.  I will try to be as clear as possible.  In Legacy I was able to utilize clipping and screen captures quite effortlessly in a variety of ways.  I could click on the green elephant icon (a chrome extension) and select how to clip and where to put it.  I actually rarely did that.  The other way was for me to activate a key combo (in my case Win+Prt Scrn) and this would bring up some cross hairs which allowed me to clip anything I wanted and to place it anywhere I want.  I could clip from websites, pdfs, word docs etc and place these clips into EN or into an email etc.  It was seamless.  When I started to use ENv10 as a standalone on my win 7 desktop computer I lost many of these functions.  So now, not only does Win+Prt Scrn not work, the system doesn't even allow me to select that as a key combo.  No matter, I selected another key combo instead and tried that one.  So now this opens up a "snipping tool" which I don't like and is not the same at all as the cross hairs I used to see. No problem, I'll just click on the green elephant and select "screenshot" which brings up the crosshair clipping tool instead.  However, this doesn't work well at all and has multiple problems.  For example, I use a two monitor setup and the crosshairs can not be dragged to the other monitor.  Also, for some reason, it's not clear to me how to capture the screen shot and then paste it into an email or some other place ie: when I try this it seems to paste the previous clip and not the current one.  Perhaps I need to work on why this is happening but it doesn't work well at all.  Now, if I open Windows Legacy but immediately minimize it or even close it (by clicking the "x") I once again have access to my crosshairs via the Win+Prt Scrn combo and it works great.  I no longer see the "snipping tool" and can work as I've always worked.  The problem with the green elephant icon still persists ie: I cannot drag the crosshairs to the other screen and I do not quite understand why the paste is always the previous clip and not the current one.  The bottom line is that as long as Legacy is percolating somewhere in the background I can use ENv10 on my win7 desktop and I can clip and paste using the screen capture tool that I am comfortable with.   Because I fear that Legacy is going away some day I would like to figure out how to become less dependent on it.  By having to use v10 while Legacy is minimized I am still not achieving Legacy independence.  I need to solve these clipping issues.

• Evernote Expert

The EN helper Screen Capture from the taskbar icon (which can also be accessed with the keyboard shortcut Alt+Ctrl+S) places the captured image into a new note inside Evernote. This allows you to select the area of the screen you wish to capture into the new note in Evernote. I just used this option and I find that after the new note is created the screen capture remains on the OS clipboard. I could paste that into Photoshop or Word. So pasting from the clipboard is an option although you will always get a new note.

Win+PrtScrn has a number of alternatives inside Windows. It is, of course, an OS keyboard shortcut.  According to my books of words it is also found with
Alt key + PrtScrn / Ctrl+PrtScrn and, on laptops, Fn + WinKey + PrtScrn - However, none of those shortcuts are designed to produce a set of crosshairs. So, it would seem that whatever your previous experience, your PC is now operating as it should and defaulting to the OS settings.  Perhaps, in the Legacy version you had a setting in options which overrode the OS settings. Since you seem to be able to recover this by giving Legacy the focus I think I would look in the Legacy program options and see what, if anything, you have set for screen capture.

For sure, one of the areas where there is significant potential for problems if you have both v10 and Legacy installed, is having the same shortuts assigned inside both programs. I've disabled all keyboard shortcuts in Legacy so that v10 always takes the command and processes the output. You can change the v10 keyboard shortcuts to something of your choosing. Whether it is wise to allocate an OS default to Evernote is questionable.

I don't know why you would have the issue with multiple monitors.

I wish you well as you test the various options.

22 minutes ago, idoc said:

OK.  I will try to be as clear as possible.

Thankyou, I think that is really clear now. Your use of the word webclipper confused me. I agree that the EN screen clipper functionality is much reduced. There is no longer the option to save to clipboard, file etc. I would be interested in knowing what happens for you when you press the capture screen icon in the pop up that appears when you press the elephant icon in the task bar. (See second image in my post above). What happens for me is that after a short pause the screeen goes dim and a cross hair appears. There are no other icons or menu items. I can use that cross hair to select a portion of the screen to capture:

image.thumb.png.2324dbe3376c04679fe65861fd6de9b3.png

When I release the mouse button it is captured to EN with the familiar confirmation message:

image.png.9047059a412ac0e7521653d287dc03fe.png

To make up for the lack of general screen capture capabilities I use Gadwin Printscreen but the Windows snipping tool also works well. So if I want to add an image to an existing note I will use Gadwin Printscreen while in Legacy I would have used the screen clipper. I suppose EN could argue that the general screen capture capabilities of Legacy are well provided for by the OS or free high quality utilities that provide much more functionaility than was ever in EN.

I overall agree.  The "snipping tool" is really the only thing that works for me.  It's not what I want to use but it does do the trick.  The elephant icon produces a series of options including simplified article, article, full page, bookmark and they all work pretty well.  The only thing that I still can't get to work properly is the option called "screenshot".  That one (crosshairs) used to work great with Legacy but here it does not seem to allow me to clip from both my screens and I can't understand why it pastes the previous shot and not the current one.  Very confusing.  Perhaps I'll open up a ticket about this with EN.

8 hours ago, idoc said:

The elephant icon produces a series of options including simplified article, article, full page, bookmark and they all work pretty well.

In Chrome obviously not the task bar. We are back to the webclipper again and not the EN V10 screen capture utility. 

I'm still interested in

11 hours ago, Mike P said:

I would be interested in knowing what happens for you when you press the capture screen icon in the pop up that appears when you press the elephant icon in the task bar.

I would be interested in knowing what happens for you when you press the capture screen icon in the pop up that appears when you press the elephant icon in the task bar.

When I do that I get the "crosshairs" that I like as a capture tool but am unable to capture anything on my second screen ie: I can only capture things on the screen that I happen to be on (either the left or the right one).  But I can't drag the crosshairs across to the opposite screen.  However, when I use this screen capture tool through the icon on Legacy it works flawlessly.  I did a chat yesterday with EN but after a half hour it was apparent that the representative didn't really know why this was happening.  I do a lot of clipping and pasting on a daily basis and these issues with EN v10 are making it more difficult but not impossible to do what I've always done seamlessly with Legacy.

• Like 1