Auto-start minimised to system tray

skrembo

Idea

All I want is:

• Cloud storage note taking.
  • Auto start minimised to tray.
  • Able to click tray icon to create and upload quick note.

Can Evernote do that?
If not, is there a rough eta on that feature?

This is the only reason I have evernote installed. Currently looking for alternatives.

14 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, DougInNC said:

Auto start: I don't have Evernote auto start, but I'm sure I could do that in Windows.

Auto start is a standard Windows configuration but EN doesn't auto-start minimised.

With Windows 10, it seems "All you want" is provided.

1. Cloud: Evernote does store everything in the cloud.

2. Tray: On start, Evernote puts an icon in the task bar 'Hidden Icons' tray (an elephant icon).

3. Quick: Click Tray icon (shortcut Alt+Ctrl+H) to create a quick note, where there is a 'Convert to Note' button (image attached).

2a. Auto start: I don't have Evernote auto start, but I'm sure I could do that in Windows.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 122555.jpg

3 hours ago, skrembo said:

There is no way to start minimized to tray. This is sad.

So close to a seamless experience.

You can copy Evernote to your Windows list of auto-start apps. Just Google for it (adding apps to auto-start in Windows). Ideally, there should be an option within Evernote but until then you can manually do the above.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:05 PM, gazumped said:

If you currently have Evernote installed,  why not try it out and see what you think?  I have no idea what you're expecting,  and you're the best judge of whether this is an app you can use.

What he is expecting is normal options that the legacy version provides. I just upgraded since it will now export to HTML again and find I have the same issues. The auto start is obnoxious as it opens a full window instead of minimized and the task bar icon has very few options. I preferred the double click to bring up the window that previously existed. Does that explain it well enough for you to have an idea?

• Evernote Expert

Since this thread was 18 months old there have been some changes in that there is now a setting to start Evernote at start-up instead of what we were recommending at the time which was to create a shortcut in Windows.

There is still no option to start minimised.  I believe that is a limitation of the Electron Framework that Evernote 10 runs within. There is no workaround.

Those who prefer to be able to double click to open from the system tray tend, instead, to create a shortcut in the taskbar or on the desktop and click on that instead. As it happens I use the Nexus Dock program on my Win 11 machine and the Evernote shortcut there just requires a single click and the program opens.  I hide the tray icon out of view and never use it. It took about two days for my brain to readjust to opening Evernote in the new sequence.

I also have a shortcut in Windows so that Ctrl+F12 opens Evernote.

Right-click on an item appearing on the Taskbar.
    Right-click on the program and click on Properties.
    Taskbar program properties
    Add a keyboard shortcut to the Shortcut key field.
    Save the change.

• Like 1

You could use AutoHotKey to write a script that opened EN and then immediately "closed" it to the system tray (or just minimised it). That script could then be added to the Windows startup folder.

{
	Run "C:\Users\mike\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Evernote.lnk"
	Sleep 5000
	Send "^w"
}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Desert Dog said:

the task bar icon has very few options.

I rarely use the system tray icon because I tend to minimise rather than "close" EN. Many Windows programs do not have system tray icons and closing them really does close them (and loose your unsaved data) so it's not a habit I personally want to get into. However it would be nice if there was a simpler way of using it to open EN rather than having to right click and then left click "open Evernote".

The easiest and fastest way to open EN, in my experience,  when it is either minimised or in the system tray, is to use the "search" global hotkey {Win}+{Shift}+{F}. If you don't want to search {Esc} closes the search box.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was hoping these issues were fixed in the years since version 10 came out. I waited this long to switch from the legacy version because some of the missing items at the time were deal breakers. I must say that even after all this time the old version seems more intuitive and user friendly. This is just flashy in exchange for usability when it comes to my uses. I'll just remove AutoStart and put a link in my quick launch taskbar.

On 7/11/2023 at 6:19 PM, Mike P said:

You could use AutoHotKey to write a script that opened EN and then immediately "closed" it to the system tray (or just minimised it). That script could then be added to the Windows startup folder.

{
	Run "C:\Users\mike\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Evernote.lnk"
	Sleep 5000
	Send "^w"
}

Thank you for this script. It works great.

It's sad that developers can't make a normal program. Evernote Legacy worked much better than the new version and had a lot of useful things.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
On 8/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, PhilY said:

It's sad that developers can't make a normal program. Evernote Legacy worked much better than the new version and had a lot of useful things.

Well,  the original developers no longer work for Evernote;  the company has been acquired by an Italian tech firm and the Legacy app is no longer supported.  The new owners are focussed on improving both speed and reliability in v10 and have recently issued several fixes for ongoing issues.

I just wanted to bump this and say that the devs should make it easier to do this without having to download a third party app and run a script. Also, I had to uninstall and reinstall because the microsoft store installer puts the app somewhere I can't find it and therefore couldn't make the script properly.

Also, once installed from the downloadable installer, the executable can likely be found at "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe"