Files do not open at all in Windows 10

EN user since Nov 2010, paid user since circa 2012. I use EN on my Android phone, 2 x iPads, 1 x Linux laptop, and 1 x Windows 10 laptop. The issue here is with EN on my Windows 10 laptop.

ISSUE: I have been unable to open files on EN on my Windows 10 laptop. I am upgraded to the latest version (EN 10.28.3-win-ddl-public (3151)). Here's what happens.

1) Select note that contains the file I want to open (e.g. PDF file).

2) Left-click once on the PDF file within the note. Select the "three dots" option to get the drop-down menu, and select "Open." 

3) EN thinks for a while. The cursor turns in to a wheel and spins, and the title bar says "Evernote (Not Responding)." It does this for about 30 seconds - 1 minute then stops. And acts like nothing happened. No file opened, nothing.

3a) This happens for any type of file (PDF, MP4, etc.). 

3b) I can select the "Save As" option (rather than "Open"), and this option works. That is, I can save the file to my desktop, then open the file from the desktop.

3c) I can open files on my Linux computer without any issues (i.e. I can open them by selecting "Open" rather than "Save As" and then opening from the desktop).

I first noticed this issue about 1 week ago when I attempted to open a video file (MP4). I did not have issues with PDF files until yesterday. My Windows 10 laptop has all the recent Windows updates. 

Any ideas on what the issue might be?  Thanks in advance.

• Evernote Expert

Thanks for your question. This isn't normal behaviour and I haven't seen this reported recently.

The first two things to try are:

1. File | Sign Out | Remove my Evernote data from this device
When you log back in your Evernote data will be rebuilt. Try opening your documents again.

If that doesn't work...

2. Completely uninstall the Evernote program and data. An uninstaller program such as Revo Uninstall will completely clean the program. This is important to avaoid any left over files.
Reboot the PC and reinstall with the latest installer from the Evernote website. Log back in and give Evernote the the time to recreate your data from the cloud.

If that doesn't work then a support ticket with Evernote is likely to be your way forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for taking too long to reply. Thanks for your advice!

I tried your methods - well, first I uninstalled via Windows 10 uninstaller then reinstalled EN - this didn't correct the problem. I then used a free, open-source uninstaller program then reinstalled EN - this didn't work either. I then used the program you recommended (Revo Uninstall), then reinstalled EN - and this didn't work either!!!

However, I think I know what the problem is. This issue occurs on my Windows 10 laptop with an internal 512GB SSD. A few weeks ago, I got Windows 10 notification about my SSD filling up and that I could use Windows 10 to manage my storage. Essentially Win10 offloads stuff from the SSD to the cloud (I'm guessing my OneDrive account). I decided to "accept" that proposition. 

So now I have a lot more space on my SSD, but I think Win10 moved the EN database to the Microsoft cloud. This might explain why EN can download something (download from my OneDrive cloud account to the laptop), but can't immediately open a file (it first has to download the file from OneDrive, then open the file, which is too much to handle, I guess). 

think that this is the problem, but I'm not going to go through the steps of putting everything back on my SSD to find out. But if anybody else is reading this and experiencing the same problem, consider this as a possibility.