Advanced search syntax - tag

mrkcvr

Idea

15 replies to this idea

From "At MY Fingertips" post I learned that it is now case sensitive. It did not use to be. With some experimentation, I experienced that "tag" needs to be case sensitive but "intitle" does not. Interesting.

• Level 5

Using the search syntax with the "tag:" denominator makes it to create a tag filter. Maybe to do this, it needs the exact spelling, including Upper/Lower case.

It shows in the app: When you miss the writing, a red "filter" will show, indicating that this element is not working. So it is not simply not working, it tells there is a problem and where to find it.

The most valuable thing I have lost is wildcard tags, like Tag:Eco* which used to work, was not case-sensitive and was brilliant. 

My tags are structured as Eco:Air, Eco:Carbon, Eco:Climate, etc.  I can search tags by "Eco:", but I can now only filter one at a time, which is a real pain.

So I would really like to have wildcards back.  

4 minutes ago, Wilf Forrow said:

The most valuable thing I have lost is wildcard tags, like Tag:Eco* which used to work, was not case-sensitive and was brilliant. 

My tags are structured as Eco:Air, Eco:Carbon, Eco:Climate, etc.  I can search tags by "Eco:", but I can now only filter one at a time, which is a real pain.

So I would really like to have wildcards back.  

It still seems to be woking for me. eg

tag:ca*

brings up all the the notes with tags starting ca. I agree that it is now case sensitive. I wonder whether the : in the tag name is confusing it. Perhaps try a different separator in your tag names.

@Wilf Forrow It seems it doesn't work 100% reliably. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It seems to generally work more reliably when the tag name does not contain non-alphanumeric characters but even that is not guaranteed. However it does seem to work as expected on the web version. I have tried the classic thing of deleting my local data but it didn't help.  I have raised a support ticket and will report back.

Windows desktop:

desktop.PNG.34122728ec1aa40c6c6d633d3649ab46.PNG

Web version:

web.PNG.6dcc457651c2b9892c8730cb44704991.PNG

• Like 1

One other interesting observation. When I type into the search bar a list of "Go to..." notes appears. The list meets the search criteria. However when I press enter there are no results.

Before hitting enter:

image.png.9d6e7f93b66d22555c8087416824b5db.png

After hitting enter:

image.png.7b239e65c726ea679aae88bad4ec5eec.png

6 hours ago, Mike P said:

It seems it doesn't work 100% reliably. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It seems to generally work more reliably when the tag name does not contain non-alphanumeric characters but even that is not guaranteed. However it does seem to work as expected on the web version. I have tried the classic thing of deleting my local data but it didn't help.  I have raised a support ticket and will report back.

Thanks!  It seems to work perfectly on the web, but I can't get it to work at all on the Mac, (10.29.7-mac-ddl-public (3186), Editor: v140.0.17554, Service: v1.46.2).

My tags are nested to 2 levels with ":", so I've redone the tests with single level tags, and alpha characters only:
Mac client:

• tag:ByLoc  works
  • tag:byLoc  fails (case sensitive, which is a nuisance)
  • tag:B*.        fails
  • tag:ByLocB*  fails
  • BUT
  • tag:201*   works perfectly, picking up 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
  • tag:2*.      works perfectly, picking up 2, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022

Web client:  All work perfectly, and they're case insensitive, including  tag:bylocb*.

If the web is the pilot for the other client apps, then we'll get that soon - bring it on!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

@mrkcvr @Wilf Forrow Initial testing of 10.30.6 (Windows) looks good. Tag names do not seem to be case sensitive anymore and so far all my tag searches containing the wildcard character (*) have returned the expected results. I'd be interested in your experience.

Mac 10.30.6-mac-ddl-public (3202) now looking good too !!!  

Wildcard "tag:" searches all work perfectly, not case sensitive, eg   "tag:loc:g*"  correctly picks up tags of "Loc:Greece" and "Loc:Germany".

Brilliant, Evernote.  Thank you.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, mrkcvr said:

@Wilf Forrow I have the latest version, according to Evernote, as 10.29.7. Are you saying there is another version available and that it will take care of the tag-case sensitive issue?

Latest version is 10.30.6 and it has solved the case sensitivity issue for me.

10.30.6-win-ddl-public (3202)
Editor: v140.0.17554
Service: v1.47.4
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved