Find & Replace

2 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

I wonder if the new EN 10 28 3 has this option

Yes it does! Open the dialogue box from the three dots menu at the top of the right of the note. Alternatively you can do  ctrl + F (Windows) which gives only the find box and use the three dots to expand it to include replace.

image.png.7f35ad644ee892c7db5249685f9bdb15.png

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

Yes. But it is not very explicit... it should be under the Edit menu along with Find

You're welcome. I think this is a product of a piece of software that is cross platform. The whole notion of three dots at the top of the note is not a thing you would see in a "proper" piece of Windows software. Once you get the hang of it you realise that alot of note specific actions are in there. Not trying to agreee or disagree with the way EN now works just  trying to make sense of it in my mind.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately it does not work for finding words in the note title...

Emails that I forward to Evernote always come with "Fwd: " in the title... Quite annoying.

I wish Evernote would put a simple solution where you select a bunch of notes, type "find" and "replace" and have all those notes updated (including words in the title).

That´s not much to ask for.

• Level 5

In some mail clients you can choose „Relay“ instead of „Forwarding“.

This will send the mail completely unchanged to a new address, not introducing changes to the title nor entering empty lines at the beginning, and it will not indent the original mail as it happen when forwarding.

It works for example in the Apple mail client on a Mac (not on iOS however). It can be called from the menus, or you can customize the buttons at the top to show that option. I think other mail clients will have a similar (hidden) option.

About search: There are 2 searches in EN, one to search the note, one to search inside of a note.

The first offers no find&replace at all, but on the other hand a powerful search syntax, and on Professional and Teams accounts boolean search.

The second is declared find IN the note, and that it does, including find&replace. The the IN-note search by definition will search IN the note, which excludes the title field.

If you want an extended search function, you can reach out to EN using the feedback function or by a support ticket.

Edit: Should have tried - yes, it works on titles as well. Kudos to @Mike P

10 hours ago, cesarodri said:

Unfortunately it does not work for finding words in the note title...

For me EN does find (and replace) words in the title. I agree that it does not allow you to select multiple notes and do find and replace on all of them at once.

image.png.b71afea05cd56f44853a1693c942d50e.png

One thing which might speed up the process slightly is that if you search for all notes containing Fwd, the find and replace dialog will be prepopulated with the search term (Fwd). Unfortunately you can't narrow it down to all notes with Fwd in the title (using intitle:Fwd) because then Find and replace is preopulated with the whole search term (intitle:Fwd). It's still a tedious process though.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If I take Word, Excel or similar, I need to do find & replace document by document as well.

I think scripting or batch processing something like this could be done (somehow), but can give weird results if the replace changes unintentional hits. EN v10 does not allow scripting.

Thanks a lot.

6 hours ago, Mike P said:

For me EN does find (and replace) words in the title. I agree that it does not allow you to select multiple notes and do find and replace on all of them at once.

image.png.b71afea05cd56f44853a1693c942d50e.png

One thing which might speed up the process slightly is that if you search for all notes containing Fwd, the find and replace dialog will be prepopulated with the search term (Fwd). Unfortunately you can't narrow it down to all notes with Fwd in the title (using intitle:Fwd) because then Find and replace is preopulated with the whole search term (intitle:Fwd). It's still a tedious process though.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, cesarodri said:

I decided to do it manually, one by one. I created a tag for all messages with Fwd: and am doing 100 corrections a day. It will take almost a month. It sucks having OCD.

At some stage i'd probably break open the IDE, download the Java development kit for Evernote and write a small program to do this automatically 😕