Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I create a note in my desktop app, add a table with two contents and add some content. 

A few minutes later I add some content to the same note from my phone Evernote app.

Later I go back to the desktop client. Almost always it has created a duplicate note. This happens all the time working between platforms.

For anything I need to sync frequently across multiple devices I am switching to Google docs.

Greg

Link to comment
  • Level 5*

<Sigh> So your phone and PC both have a note,  content A1.  On the desktop you change that content to A2 and then,  because you like to live an interesting life you then pick up the phone and change it's copy of A1 to A3. 

Evernote's server,  which duly receives TWO SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT changes to A1,  both with your apparently valid sign-in,  thinks "Hmmn.  User made some sort of mistake.  I save both so User can sort it out."

You'll like Google Docs.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 1/15/2022 at 1:13 AM, gazumped said:

<Sigh> So your phone and PC both have a note,  content A1.  On the desktop you change that content to A2 and then,  because you like to live an interesting life you then pick up the phone and change it's copy of A1 to A3. 

Evernote's server,  which duly receives TWO SEPARATE AND DIFFERENT changes to A1,  both with your apparently valid sign-in,  thinks "Hmmn.  User made some sort of mistake.  I save both so User can sort it out."

You'll like Google Docs.

 

This is really not what the original poster described. He created A1 on the PC, modified it on the phone to A2, and then added another thing again on the PC. This is one of the standard use cases for some of my notes too. An since I switched to EN10 I too have way more duplicate notes then before, since I can't manually sync anymore. And just have to hope my notes have synced. An no, I don't change something on my phone and just for fun immediately another thing on my PC. And I don't think the original poster did this, and I don't think your cynism is justified.

The problem is that you simply don't know if the sync has completed, since EN has decided to get rid of manual sync. This will normally not be a big problem on a permanently connected PC, but it is on a mobile phone.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Manual sync: ctrl-R will make EN reload (in practice: sync).

On a Mac it is cmd-R.

But my problem is on my phone. I think taking (or changing) a note, and afterwards switching my phone off (which frankly is what anyone does) is the problem. I think it will not sync until the Android battery saver options decide, when EN might get CPU time and Internet again. But keeping EN open (and my phone switched on) for a minute hoping it will sync eventually is not really the solution.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Wux said:

keeping EN open (and my phone switched on) for a minute hoping it will sync eventually is not really the solution.

You mention your phone being switched off - do you power the thing down,  or just close the display?  Either way I agree that sometimes changes made on the phone take a while to get to a desktop - especially since the phone has to sync up,  and the desktop sync down all the latest information.  I have never expected to be able to move between the phone and a keyboard seamlessly - I use one for remote work and the other for local activity.  If I notice that something I remember adding or changing on the mobile is not yet available,  I open the mobile app and allow it to catch up.  It hasn't caused me any issues in the past several years...

-And of course 'phone syncing depends on your local network connection;  if changes aren't synced,  they're saved until a sync is possible.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Wux said:

This is really not what the original poster described.

I was going by this bit...

On 1/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, gwhall6 said:

I create a note in my desktop app, add a table with two contents and add some content. 

A few minutes later I add some content to the same note from my phone

..but apologies if I got it wrong.

Link to comment
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, Wux said:

But my problem is on my phone. I think taking (or changing) a note, and afterwards switching my phone off (which frankly is what anyone does) is the problem. I think it will not sync until the Android battery saver options decide, when EN might get CPU time and Internet again. But keeping EN open (and my phone switched on) for a minute hoping it will sync eventually is not really the solution.

Perhaps you are not aware that the mobile apps have a sync option: Settings | Sync | Sync Now

Or does that not work for you?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

Perhaps you are not aware that the mobile apps have a sync option: Settings | Sync | Sync Now

Or does that not work for you?

Wow! No! I was not aware! Thank You!

(I thought that the goal was to unify EN on all different platforms, so I didn't even look. Glad, that they differ in this aspect.)

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...