Evernote is really, really good

Hi everybody!

Just thought i'd write a quick message about why i think Evernote is a really, really good tool.

At work we use the Microsoft office 365 product suite. This means outlook (for emails and meetings), onenote (for, well, notes), microsoft ToDo (for tasks) and we have our own internal Wiki and we have an application for organising user-stories/features (the whole agile stuff). 

The result is, that the information actually needed to work is spread across 5 different systems. Emails cannot be forwarded to onenote nor to our agile-management application, nor to the Wiki. ToDo cannot be used to attach tasks to anything else, as far as i can see. Outlook supports labels, but doesn't have a label view, just a folder view. 

There are times when i find this less than ideal. Evernote would be really useful here. Yeah, sure, it doesn't provide the features of a custom agile-process-management software (you'd have to use templates and stuff to do that and you'd have no ability to generate reports for management), but everything i'd need to work would be in one app and viewable with just a search for the right label.

Unfortunately there's no way i'll convince the company to move 😕 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread, thank you for sharing.

I'm sure many companies are fine, if not great, but I never understood why a certain majority still flock to Microsoft like it's the holy grail. It's counter-productive, and in the age of Evernote, Trello, Nimbus Note and Notion, these tools mean modernizing the way you produce data and handle information. I don't think I've used anything Microsoft since my junior high school days, outside of the fact that my college uses them for e-mail. I don't doubt Microsoft adds to the game, but it's not the only viable solution.

I hope you do have good luck with getting your company to transition, though I know it's a pretty big move that is not likely to happen.

• Level 5

Plus practically all ransomware attacks these days happen through gaps in Microsoft software.

Yes, they may be targeted because most companies run them. But they should secure their software much better. They have enough earnings because - most companies run them.

They carry a ton of old code just for backward compatibility - this IMHO kills security when using their platform.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Plus practically all ransomware attacks these days happen through gaps in Microsoft software.

Yes, they may be targeted because most companies run them. But they should secure their software much better. They have enough earnings because - most companies run them.

They carry a ton of old code just for backward compatibility - this IMHO kills security when using their platform.

hmm, many vulnerabilities were in open source software (and apple stuff)  last months...

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/Apple.html

• Level 5

The usual ransom attacks (as far as reported) work by capturing a user allowed to run Windows powershell scripts. Then powershell is used to run scripts that take over the targeted network.

The first hole is usually pried open through macros executing after an email was opened. Office macros … The next target after creating a foothold is the Active Directory. The latest AD attack went through an AD managing software from Indian software house Zoho.

All this fails when tried on a Linux or Mac network. 

There are a few attacks targeted especially at Linux networks, but AFAIK they are far from having any relevance, in terms of damage or ransom paid.

The latest fix for WebKit (the browser engine driving Safari) was closing a serious vulnerability, but has nothing to do with ransomware.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The usual ransom attacks (as far as reported) work by capturing a user allowed to run Windows powershell scripts. Then powershell is used to run scripts that take over the targeted network.

The first hole is usually pried open through macros executing after an email was opened. Office macros … The next target after creating a foothold is the Active Directory. The latest AD attack went through an AD managing software from Indian software house Zoho.

All this fails when tried on a Linux or Mac network. 

There are a few attacks targeted especially at Linux networks, but AFAIK they are far from having any relevance, in terms of damage or ransom paid.

The latest fix for WebKit (the browser engine driving Safari) was closing a serious vulnerability, but has nothing to do with ransomware.

https://www.bgr.in/mobiles/apple-ios-bug-makes-your-iphones-vulnerable-to-ransomware-attacks-1033856/

• Level 5

1) It is fixed

2) Ransomwaring a HomePod Mini is not what I would call a doomsday szenario. Not a single case when this actually might have been used was reported, AFAIK.

3) It was a theoretical, constructed fail  as opposed to ransomware attacks „successfully“ executed on Windows networks every day.