Seemingly strange comment from Evernote support on the capabilities of sync-ing

Evernote support [1] just told me:
"notes made on Evernote Legacy cannot be automatically synced to other devices since it is made on an older version of Evernote" and "Moreover, notes made on Evernote Legacy cannot be automatically synced to other devices since it is made on an older version of Evernote. If you wish to be able to sync your notes across all devices, I recommend that you only use the latest version of Evernote and not Legacy"

This is totally different from my understanding of the way Evernote sync-ing works between platforms and Evernote versions.  Am I wrong?  Or is Evernote support wrong? 

I suspect that @gazumped can offer some insight here.

Ref.
[1] The tale of woe that caused me to initiate the trouble ticket is probably beyond the scope of the narrow question above.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Dean Dei Cas said:

I suspect that @gazumped can offer some insight here.

OK that's weird.  Thanks for your confidence,  but all I have is 55K notes in Windows and Android Legacy accounts plus v10 in the Web and Linux versions that haven't caused me any issues (that I'm aware of) yet...  and several other frequent flyers around here are (I believe) also running Legacy + 10 accounts,  so you'd think we would have some early warnings if that was an issue. 

Evernote,  of course,  could have decided to give Legacy users some incentive to cross over in 10 - in which event things could get very messy very quickly!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

My understanding is that both Legacy and Version 10 use the same cloud sync store for syncing   

A problem is the new features added to the v10 product    
For example, a note using the new task feature will sync to Legacy   
However,  the Legacy product can't use the data, and may even corrupt it

• Like 3
  • Level 5

@Dean Dei Cas Thanks for reaching out!

I'm reviewing your ticket and it appears that the support agent may not have been accurate in their response.

I'm working with the team to get clarification, and they will be reaching back out via the support ticket.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 3

@Shane D. Thank you for your response.  This is the second time in two months that I have encountered an Evernote support representative that has been unable to understand my clear description of my Evernote problem(s) and response appropriately.  Does my support call need to be transferred to a different customer support agent?

I suspect that a little strategizing over my Evernote problems needs to occur. 

1) Does the within-Evernote-Legacy(Windows)  "Fix Lost Resources" and "[Notes with lost resources]" problem need to be addressed first?
2) Or do my Evernote-Legacy(Windows) sync-ing problems that can be seen in my Evernote need to be addressed first?

I infer that there is a proper sequence to be followed in diagnosing and fixing these problems.  True?

• Level 5

Personally I use a mix of legacy on a Mac, v10 on a Mac and several iOS clients, plus very scarcely legacy Windows.

No problem with syncing. Same note count in searches,  no obviously missing notes or content. The only issue is that if a note contains "new" content (which mainly means Tasks) it will not display in legacy.

The problems themselves are not described, only the answers from support. Based on this it is hard to tell what may be the best strategy. Since v10 works "closer" to the cloud master, I would usually fix all problems with the local legacy database first, using the tools provided with the client. After that a full sync with the server, and from there refresh the v10 clients.

• Like 1

@PinkElephant — I suspect that I am seeing multiple issues.  Woe is me!

1) The description from Evernote support (quoted above) of Legacy & v10 sync-ing behaviors is just way WRONG.
2) *I* have an Evernote Legacy (Windows) sync-ing problem as is evident from errors in my Evernote log file.
3) *I* have (might have?) a problem with  "[Notes with lost resources]"  that might need to be addressed about which I have no idea how to proceed.
4)  I hesitate to mention this now —because I want to first want to get Evernote Legacy (Windows) behaving correctly— but I observe WILD note count differences between Evernote(Web) and Evernote(V10 Windows).

Yes, from the point of "the best strategy",  fixing all the problems with the Evernote (Legacy Windows) first (including the sync-errors) seems like the correct course of action.  Note that (unless I I've gotten something wrong)  I am not using a "local legacy database". 
To my knowledge I have no notes containing new v10 content (e.g. Tasks).

• Level 5

You have a local legacy database, if you have legacy installed at all. You may not have local notebooks in it, so all content is synced with the server. But it still is a full copy of the server content, living on your local computer.

This database can collect errors. I think in the old legacy Windows client it was holding down the ctrl/strg key before clicking on the help menu. This makes new options show, and most of the options are there to repair and streamline the local EN database.

The new client has a local database as well, a different one. There are no tools to fix it, but it can be rebuild from the server data.

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dean Dei Cas said:

4)  I hesitate to mention this now —because I want to first want to get Evernote Legacy (Windows) behaving correctly— but I observe WILD note count differences between Evernote(Web) and Evernote(V10 Windows).

As well as @PinkElephant's excellent response it is worth noting that it can take some time (days?) for the download to complete so if you are new to V10 it may just be a matter of using and waiting. Having said that I would have thought that note counts etc would be correct from day one so there is no harm in trying a local data base rebuild as outlined by @PinkElephant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Shane D.—  Would you please look at my trouble ticket?  My most recent response from Evernote support includes "there are no further fixes for issues occurring in Evernote Legacy". 

Am I to understand that Evernote support is now REFUSING to assist in resolving the problems that I am seeing via Evernote Legacy?  And that Evernote has dropped support for Evernote Legacy?

I am not clear as to how I should proceed in addressing the Evernote problems that I am encountering.  I suspect that I am encountering sync problems that effect my use of Evernote Legacy(Windows) and Evernote V10 (Windows).

• Level 5

Legacy is end of life - what sort of support do you expect: No more bug fixes, no more changes (even if this means it stops working, as it has happened for Android legacy with the newest Android release), and AFAIK no more support.

We advise here in the forum, user2user; our combined experience with legacy will probably cover all sort of operational issues. Those that can be solved, that is ...

What support usually says is: Drop legacy, and we are happy to assist you with v10.

@PinkElephant:  I am showing sync errors in my Evernote log.

"[W]hat sort of support do [I] expect"?  I expect Evernote support to assist me in resolving those errors.  Isn't that what I am paying for?

"[W]hat sort of support do [I] expect"?  I expect that if it is the case the Evernote is no longer providing ANY support for problems that manifest themselves via Evernote Legacy that they state that discontinued support clearly.

• Level 5

You have options to repair the legacy database.

If this is not sufficient, you can uninstall it (use an uninstaller, to really purge it from your computer) and reinstall.

As always when there is more than one database involved, they can get out of sync, and the 2 measures mentioned above will fix that.

Or you can play word games with support.

What do you think is going to fix your problem ?

• Level 5*

As a matter of interest,  and with true irony  - because of an issue with Google Drive my Windows 10 system locked up completely today and had to be killed with the power button.  Evernote 6.25 was running,  and in fact I'd just resized an image and was in progress of saving it back to a note when the system froze.  I gave it a couple of hours and encouragement with several Words of Power but nothing was happening,  so I reluctantly killed it. 

And not surprisingly Evernote gave me a Fatal Error window on restart and won't now load.

Since Evernote have already said that they no longer support 6.25 I'm not even going to bother them with this.  I'll backup my current database folder,  uninstall with Revo and reinstall from a 6.25 installer that I happen to have saved.  My synced notebooks should be rebuilt from the server.  If not I have backup ENEX files.

My offline notebooks are also fully backed up (thanks Backupery!!) so things should be back to normal tomorrow after an hour or so.  If not,  I guess this may be the point at which I rejoin the main bulk of users in v10 and Legacy.

But the moral of this story is mainly - if you have problems with 6.25,  you are pretty much on your own.  Support (as I now understand it) is v10 only.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

The EN website says:

...There will be no future updates or bug fixes in older versions of Evernote, including Evernote Legacy. If you are having trouble with this app, our Support team may recommend that you update Evernote to the newest version...

What can I do if I’m having trouble with this [Legacy] version of the app?

We offer several resources for troubleshooting most issues in Evernote Help & Learning and in the Evernote Discussion Forums. If you’re unable to find a resolution, feel free to contact us. Please note that in most cases, our Support team will encourage you to update to the newest version to receive the latest bug fixes and performance updates.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 2

I suspect that I am having some sort of syn problem(s) that affects both Legacy AND v10.

1) I observed that:
Evernote(v10 Windows)reports that I have 8917 notes.
Evernote(Web) reports that I have have 10304 notes.
2) With a view toward fixing this problem I uninstalled/reinstalled Evernote(v10 Windows).
3) The note count difference between Evernote(v10 Windows) and Evernote(Web) remains.
4) Many on my recently created notes are not visible via Evernote(v10 Windows) and Evernote(v10 Windows) is effective not useable for me.

I have submitted a new trouble ticket that describes the v10 without asking for any Legacy-related help.  

• Level 5

From my limited experience the main reason for a significant difference between the web and the installed client are shared notes. These shares need to be reactivated once in v10 to make them show. Once they are integrated back, they add to the note count as well.

A second issue which was reported in the forum were differences when the web client was still set to the classic editor, plus some of the other "advanced" options were not ticked off.

Can't tell more, since on my devices the note count is on the spot, including my legacy installations.

@PinkElephant:  
1) I am not using "shared notes".
2) The note count that I get from Evernote(Web) is the same (or very close) to the Note count that I got from Legacy.
3) The note count I get from Evernote(v10 Windows) is >1.1k too small.
4) Many notes visible via Evernote(Web) are not visible via Evernote(v10 Windows).

• Level 5

First try would be to clean the local Windows database:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
Next step behind it is a complete uninstall, using an uninstaller like Revo.
  • Like 1

@PinkElephant: Thank you for your response.

I've followed your steps described above.
Performed Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.

Performed: Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
Restarted computer.
Signed back in to Evernote
Uninstalled Evernote Legacy(Windows) using Revo uninstaller.
Uninstalled Evernote(v10 Windows) using Revo uninstaller.
Reinstalled Evernote(v10 Windows)
I observe that Evernote(v10 Windows) and Evernote(Web) note counts agree.
But problems continue ...
The "Evernote.exe" windows process will appear to be quesent. This is what I'd expect.
Periodically the "Evernote.exe" windows process will rise to ~50% CPU usage and the client becomes unresponsive.
There are recent errors in the Evernote log file.

• Level 5

In this case probably only support will be able to make sense of the logged errors. 

We other users can try to help with problems, but when they resist the shared experience in the forum, further poking in the dark will not lead anywhere.

• Confused 1