Cannot add more fonts and change default font ?

12 hours ago, TrentGT said:

change default font

The only way of doing this, that I know of, is to create a template with "normal text" changed to your desired font. New notes can then be created from that template. Only a partial solution as It doesn't do anything to existing notes and obviously doesn't increase the number of fonts available.

• Like 2

I think one of the driving needs behind the V10 clients was to standardize font handling across all clients. This means that Evernote is limited to a small number of core fonts, where you can be sure that these are available on all platforms. 

If you added text in a new font to a note, what should be displayed on another device if you open this note? Should the entire font be embedded in the note so the other device can open it? What happens if the font is in a format that the other client doesn't support? What happens if the font has a safety bug? (Quite possible with Unicode fonts) that the virus checker on one platform detects but not another etc. etc. 

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

Being able to use preferred fonts should be a standard feature of any writing app.   The dismissive attitude of Evernote demostrates a lack of understanding, and a puerile attitude to customers.  

This is a puerile approach to customer service and I am glad I learned the company culture before I committed time, money and other resources to this outfit.  

I will say goodbye, and hope the new owners of the company are better qualified to deliver service.  

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, ErnaSheree said:

What a great feature to drop

Oddly,  it was a user-demanded feature to have Evernote appear exactly the same on every device connected to it.  Since MacOS fonts don't work in WIndows or Android,  the only answer was to develop in-house fonts and abandon all others.

The incredibly simple answer is: if you want your notes to look pretty,  use a word processor and attach PDF output plus the editable file to your note.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Well they manage to have multiple fonts in this discussion forum but they can't add more than 6 House fonts in their app? If they can have 6 fonts why not 60?

Not offering formatting choice in an app dedicated primarily to writing shows they are not thinking much about the customer. Just how much clutter they can add to up the price, but to many customers this isn't adding value it's reducing it. I don't want to upgrade from my older version despite constant nagging by Evernote is all the clutter and no formatting. Some people just want to write notes. It's all in the name. 

• Thanks 1

I prefer the way it is in v10. It looks exaclty the same on all my devices, and I can switch to a serif or mono font if I wish. Apple Notes, Notion etc all behave the same way as they are note taking apps.

Agree with others, if you're looking to output formatted documents, then I'd start a draft in Evernote and then move to Google Docs/Word/Pages when I was at the formatting stage.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, C L said:

Well they manage to have multiple fonts in this discussion forum

'They' are using third party software for the forum.

2 hours ago, C L said:

Not offering formatting choice in an app dedicated primarily to writing

Did you miss the memo about "Note Taking"?

Actually,  it was users who backed Evernote into this position.  There were many demands that Evernote look the same on all platforms and devices.  Android,  Apple,  Windows and MacOS all use their own proprietary fonts,  and cannot show fonts created on other platforms.  So Evernote had to create its own font that looks the same everywhere.  Which is why the new options are not fancy:  they're just intended to work.

3 hours ago, C L said:

I don't want to upgrade from my older version

The old Evernote is clearly going to be unavailable at some stage in the next few months.  Better to get a jump on the change-over rather than be forced to use an completely unfamiliar package to see your notes. 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

There is a simple way to accommodate both groups of users. Either highlight the fonts that will appear the same on all platforms or provide a compatibility switch the greys out all of the non-compatible cross platform fonts.  This type of flexibility is standard on Macs but this product feels more like Microsoft every new version.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
39 minutes ago, Jackk said:

There is a simple way to accommodate both groups of users. Either highlight the fonts that will appear the same on all platforms or provide a compatibility switch the greys out all of the non-compatible cross platform fonts.  This type of flexibility is standard on Macs but this product feels more like Microsoft every new version.

So Evernote would have all the Mac-specific and Windows-specific fonts, but gray them out when one is on a non-compatible device? But the point is that those fonts are not free. MS, Google, and Apple pay developers to have them (or at least some of them), and Evernote would have to do the same. And then charge us for it. And we would scream bloody murder, because that's how we do.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

There is a simple way to forget all that font business for developers: Bring along your own fonts, license paid, and install them with the app. 

This is exactly what was done when v10 launched. We had exactly the same discussions back then, 3 years ago. Exactly the same solutions were posted and (I assume) send to support and PM ad well.

With the result that nothing was changed.

Who is discussing it today has decided to stick with legacy, for whatever reason. Now legacy is taken off the plate.

Tell you what: Your leverage to change features that have proven themselves for 3 years now is practically zero. What maybe still was seen as debatable back then now has the proof of 3 years without a change against it.

Take them as they are is the best advise I can offer.

5 hours ago, Jackk said:

There is a simple way to accommodate both groups of users. Either highlight the fonts that will appear the same on all platforms or provide a compatibility switch the greys out all of the non-compatible cross platform fonts.

I think that's a good idea and could maybe work if Bending Spoons wanted to invest the time and energy into typography. I mean, Evernote pre-v10 had way more fonts but as I recall my notes that I created first on Mac looked pretty terrible/inconsistent on Windows -- and they could do that and just kind of give a disclaimer like "hey this font isn't going to be supported on other systems so it will look not quite right on other platforms". Then if you were to update that note on other platforms, perhaps it would mess up the font on the originating platform?

Anyway, that is just to say I think *something* could be done in this area if they thought it was worth it. I'm hedging my bets that they don't though since multi-platform use is much more common now than when Evernote first started out.

5 hours ago, Jackk said:

This type of flexibility is standard on Macs but this product feels more like Microsoft every new version.

Yeah - I agree with that. Especially since Evernote v10 is meant to have a universal look across Android, Web, Windows, Mac, and iOS/iPadOS and they have succeeded fantastically at that. I rather like it, but it definitely is a very far stretch from looking like a native Mac App.

I was just going to suggest that you give Bear a look as that it is very much a native (and native looking) Mac app, but the font selection on that is even more limited as is the native Notes app. 🤷