Table of contents no longer available in Evernote Personal?

Since the new releases of Evernote (I was before on Evernote Premium and now moved to Personal), I cannot create any longer table of contents. All the video support and information available in the help pages does not work. The merge option only merges notes and does not have the feature Create table of content.

What am I missing or doing wrong here?

Also I would like to create a table of contents of ALL my staples and urls to the notebooks under need it.

Thanks for your help

Peter

2 minutes ago, pgjlemmens said:

I cannot create any longer table of contents.

You are right thet the old TOC function is not in V10. The new system is slightly more longwinded but much more flexible.

1. Select all the notes that you want to add to your table of contents
  2. From the blue pop up menu or by right clicking choose "copy internal links" and then copy app links (alt_ctrl+L on windows)
  3. Create a new note. Ideally start a numbered list although this step can be omitted
  4. Paste the note links.
  5. If you have pasted into a numbered list the items will be automatically numbered for you. You can also drag them around to reorder them and they will automatically be renumbered. If at some later date you want to add further items simply add them to the end of the list
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thank you, Mike. This helped. Another question, is it possible to have this not with notes but with the notebooks, so to create have a nice hierarchy of my Evernote, also would it be possible to have this/these Table of Contents automatically updated with new notes?

3 hours ago, pgjlemmens said:

Thank you, Mike. This helped. Another question, is it possible to have this not with notes but with the notebooks, so to create have a nice hierarchy of my Evernote, also would it be possible to have this/these Table of Contents automatically updated with new notes?

As far as I know you can't do either of these things. The answer for the first I guess is to use stacks and a sensible naming convention. You have never been able to link to notebooks, stacks or searches from within a note. I would personally especially love to be able to link to saved searches from within a note. Would be real useful for my "dashboard" notes that provide an overview of a particular topic.

• Like 2
On 1/10/2022 at 9:51 AM, Mike P said:

From the blue pop up menu or by right clicking choose "copy internal links" and then copy app links (alt_ctrl+L on windows)

Thanks for this tip! This does not seem be be supported in the Web version (that I use on the WIN laptop at work). Very happy to be using this on the Mac at home.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mike McGowan said:

This does not seem be be supported in the Web version

You are right - I'd not noticed that before. The "copy internal links" option is missing from the three dots menu on the blue popup.

• 3 months later...
On 1/10/2022 at 4:51 PM, Mike P said:

You are right thet the old TOC function is not in V10. The new system is slightly more longwinded but much more flexible.

1. Select all the notes that you want to add to your table of contents
  2. From the blue pop up menu or by right clicking choose "copy internal links" and then copy app links (alt_ctrl+L on windows)
  3. Create a new note. Ideally start a numbered list although this step can be omitted
  4. Paste the note links.
  5. If you have pasted into a numbered list the items will be automatically numbered for you. You can also drag them around to reorder them and they will automatically be renumbered. If at some later date you want to add further items simply add them to the end of the list

Is there a possibility to do this on Evernote Android?

At Android I cannot mark several notes together ...

• Level 5

Well, let me correct this in theory: You can open every note you want to include, open note information, copy the link to that note, go to the TOC note and paste the link there. Continue this until you have collected and pasted all links.

This means it is possible, but it is not really feasible unless you accept to spend a tremendous amount of time and effort .

• 3 months later...

An additional drawback to the new way is that it doesn't embed source metadata anymore.  One of my favorite saved searches was for that source type.  I suppose I could solve with tag, but just one more step in a process that used to one click.

Search is

sourceurl:"file://Table of Contents"

In legacy which I've abandoned yesterday this info was in the information section of the note by default of using TOC command.

Screenshot 2022-08-20 073253.png

UPDATE: I can copy 'file://Table of Contents' into URL property of note information for consistency vs switching to a tag, but still the entire process was one click maybe 2 seconds once the notes were initially selected. Now it's several actions.

Other examples I haven't tried in new version yet.

resource:application/pdf

resource:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document

UPDATE: These still seem to be valid on new notes in new version.

I tracked down incentive pricing for upgrading from legacy subscription, so now I've given myself a year to embrace the new version or move on...  Mostly it looks promising since revisiting the new version this week.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:59 AM, PinkElephant said:

TOC is super easy now in v10: Select a number of notes, click on the 3 dots in the blue popup menu, select copy internal links, Copy App links, go to the TOC note, insert the links.

Done.

The key difference is the TOC note needs to be pre-created and then toggle back and force at least one cycle.  The old way created and populated the note in one click.  So the old way was super easier. ..and it had the built in link for search filtering. So I guess I'll try a template if I can prepopulate the url to a 'type' like the old way.  Then get links copied, create the new note, apply template, paste links.

• Level 5

For me the new method to create a TOC works better. I can create the TOC wherever I want - it is way more flexible.

Beside this we should stop click peeping. The question of this thread was if a TOC is available. This is answered: YES.

One side aspect of the TOC in v10 is that you get a nice handle to reorder TOC entries in a numbered list. You can easily draw any TOC line to a new position, and the numbering updates by itself.

In the legacies TOC view, when you moved an entry to the end, it fell out of the numbered range. Clumsy ...

So tested flow to get what I had...  From the point of selected notes, the old way was one click.  The new way is to manually copy the links, make a new note, apply a template. Paste the links. The template has the url in note body.  I cut that, then Ctrl-Shift-I, paste into url.  Even going tag driven, I'd need to click tag field and select tag.  It doesn't seem you can prepopulate those either.  I think it's ultimately note info as well.

Maybe a matter of semantics but I would argue no, there is no TOC feature. Evernote supports linked notes period. Sure, you can have multiple links and call it a TOC, but there is nothing native to the product to distinguish a list for any purpose from one being used as a TOC.  The old way was an actual additive feature that served a strong purpose for me.

• Level 5

2 questions, from someone who has both old v. 6.25.1 and current v. 10:

#1:

1 hour ago, Gear64 said:

So the old way was super easier. ..and it had the built in link for search filtering. So I guess I'll try a template if I can prepopulate the url to a 'type' like the old way

8 minutes ago, Gear64 said:

The template has the url in note body.  I cut that, then Ctrl-Shift-I, paste into url.

think I understand your process, but I'm not sure I get the reason. How does putting "file://Table of Contents" into the file info get you to any useful search filtering? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

#2:

22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

One side aspect of the TOC in v10 is that you get a nice handle to reorder TOC entries in a numbered list. You can easily draw any TOC line to a new position, and the numbering updates by itself.

In the legacies TOC view, when you moved an entry to the end, it fell out of the numbered range. Clumsy ...

Sorry to differ, your honor, but in 6.25.1 the auto-generated TOC is a numbered listed with draggable handles, and I can drag an entry to the end of the list without issue. The problem you describe only happens when I drag it to the blank line past the end of the list; or when I accidentally drag it to an indented position--both of which are regrettably easy to do.

Personally, I have to think that the auto-generated TOC is on their to-do list, since it seems to me that if you can select notes and merge them, select notes and add tags to them all, select notes and copy their links, etc., a way can be found to add those links to a new note in the form of a numbered list.

• Level 5

You are right that the entries can be moved - but not by handles like in the v10 client, it works by moving the link. The numbered elements stay where they are. This is why you can drop out of the list on top and at the end.

In v10 there is a handle that moves the whole list item, including the number element. Even when you move it to the top or end, you will not drop out of the numbered range.

You can try with a TOC created with legacy - v10 adds the handles feature to it, as it does to any other numbered list.

• Like 1