Getting this note on my desktop Evernote: "Note Failed to Update."

Go to solution Solved by chshen,

• Level 5

You are likely exceeding the device limit.

Go to your account settings, tab devices and unsync enough devices to be down to only 1 working device left. Then you will be able to add another.

Or if you are comfortable with 2 existing devices, stick with 2, but make sure these are the ones that sync. There is a limit on unsyncs as well, and if you drop the wrong ones, you can lock yourself out of the account. Getting in again means waiting for 30 days, or subscribe at least for a month.

Thank you @PinkElephantfor reaching out and helping me.  Unfortunately, this recommendation is not working.  I have only one device now syncing, and I'm still getting the same message.  

The thing is - I've never had this problem until last week.  I've had two devices synced up for over a decade and this has never been an issue. 

Not sure what I should do.  If you have any other suggestions, I welcome your expertise. Thank you. 

• Level 5

The easiest action first: Check in your account, tab devices that there is really only 1 (or 2) devices showing.

After this, you could try to set the local database back. It will reload from the EN server:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 

Thank you for replying so quickly again, @PinkElephant.  I don't think the sync is the issue. It had never been an issue for years. 

I subscribed to the personal account just to be able to submit a support ticket. In this scenario, I have unlimited devices to sync.  It was still an issue to sync.  

They sent me a workaround until their development team would get into it deeper. Here was the suggestion for the workaround for your knowledge. It worked.  

Please use the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Open Finder
  2. From the menu bar select Go > Go To Folder...
  3. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go.
  4. Locate the folder titled Evernote and rename it to Evernote.old.
  5. Launch Evernote and try signing in.

Thanks again for your quick replies and for trying to help me.  Means a lot.  Take care! 

Vince 

• Level 5

Thanks for the feedback. The above procedure practically does the same as the one I described: It removes the local database (or in your description:  Keeps it, but renamed to xxxx.OLD), and rebuilds it from the server.

Good it is back to work again !

Stay safe !

• Solution

Same problem here on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G9323). It has been ok until last week. There is no way to edit the note even offline since the warning message pops up whenever you edit anything.

The app becomes impossible to use if this doesn't get fixed. 

@chshen try this - I got this from Evernote: 

Please use the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Open Finder
  2. From the menu bar select Go > Go To Folder...
  3. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go.
  4. Locate the folder titled Evernote and rename it to Evernote.old.
  5. Launch Evernote and try signing in.
  • Like 1

Thanks for this thread. I was having the same issue. However, I used your workaround as a starting point and went "scorched earth." I deleted every folder in the library with "evernote" in the title, uninstalled and then reinstalled. So far so good!