New Windows client

The new Windows client (10.28.3) forced itself on me today. It erased my Home widgets and it would not update. It kept saying changes saved, but looking on the web version, nothing was happening. Since there is no longer a SYNC button, I couldn't really force a sync. I thought, "Well, before I get too far, why don't I log off and log back in?"

Big mistake.

It has been logging in for the past hour, even though I saved the backup on my PC.

I don't think the Windows client has improved since the old Legacy version. Now, I'm not sure it even functions as a fake web client. Can we get this fixed?

I uninstalled. Reinstalled from Windows Store. Just a spinning wheel. Wouldn't even let me log out to sign in fresh. Uninstalled. Reinstalled from downloaded executable from the website. Same thing. Spinning wheel. Can't log out. Nothing. Frustrating.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, PageantCast said:

I uninstalled. Reinstalled from Windows Store. Just a spinning wheel. Wouldn't even let me log out to sign in fresh. Uninstalled. Reinstalled from downloaded executable from the website. Same thing. Spinning wheel. Can't log out. Nothing. Frustrating.

OK - if @PinkElephant's suggestion doesn't work,  try the nuclear option:  use Revo Uninstaller Free to zap everything connected with Evernote (it reaches the files other uninstallers don't reach) and restart,  re-download,  reinstall.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PageantCast said:

So, fun thing: Revo Uninstaller doesn't even see the new Evernote. Only Evernote Legacy is showing up and I'm a little scared to blow that away.

Odd.  There's NBD about uninstalling/ reinstalling Legacy - just find out where your Databases folder is and save a zipped copy to your desktop just in case.  Then go ahead and uninstall/ restart/ reinstall (Legacy is freely available still) and let your database get rebuilt from the server.  I literally just did this with a 56K-note account a couple of days ago and while I'm still getting back up to my full note count (currently at 48K and counting...) I got most of it back within a day.  YMMV.

Up to you when or whether you then reinstall v10!

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, PageantCast said:

So, fun thing: Revo Uninstaller doesn't even see the new Evernote. Only Evernote Legacy is showing up and I'm a little scared to blow that away.

Did you install from the Microsoft Store or the direct download? I'm not sure that Revo will handle the Store version...

Uninstall via the store and ensure that the data directory has been removed. Use the direct download in preference to the Store.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

You don’t need to be logged out to uninstall. An app that is not running can’t resist to be uninstalled (unless it is something creepy).

Since Windows runs this registry thing, it is no longer „erase this or that folder“. My experience if an uninstall was only partial, and an uninstaller did not work any more, the best way was to reinstall first. Use the same source as before,

Then use the uninstaller software (for Windows fellow forum users reported Revo Uninstaller did the job) to make a full uninstall again. This will eventually remove the traces left from the first installation as well.

• Evernote Expert
6 hours ago, PageantCast said:

Doesn't look like it will let me fully uninstall or even log out. With or without Revo. Is there a directory I should be targeting?

A manual uninstall needs to ensure that %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote are deleted

• Like 1

I don't think I could find those folders. I was able to install 10.2.4 but beyond that version (I've tried a few) it just keeps loading forever. I got that to install after uninstalling both 10.2.26 and Legacy 6.25.2. Beyond 10.2.4 just doesn't want to go.

• Level 5

No idea - could be anything.

Is it your personal personal computer, or is it managed (like from a company or other institution) ? Any security software that may interfere ?

If on a subscription, ask support. They can look into the activity log, among other options.