Basic Sort & Filter Function for Tables

Fitzy

Idea

It would be great to have a simple sort and filter function for tables in Evernote. More and more information these days is in tables and spreadsheets and some basic functionality like the ability to sort or filter would make the use of bigger tables a realistic option using Evernote. Presently, only small tables seem to have any useful purpose in Evernote. 

• Like 7

7 replies to this idea

I'll second that. There have been requests to sort entries inside a table all the way back to 2012. (I just found some while searching for this exact functionality.)

Apparently the current "solution" is copy/paste into Excel for sorting, then copy/paste back into Evernote... which makes me wonder why I bothered putting the data into Evernote instead of Excel in the first place.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WJKinne said:

Vote Up

(There is a little upvote arrow that you can click to actually vote it up, but doesn't look like anybody has actually clicked it yet. And seems like voting something up is worth almost nothing on these forums, but it *is* probably better than nothing. 😃)

image.png.9ffb4bd7354830e450e6067b0b01a8e5.png

This additional feature will, of course, add some complexity. Seems like even a basic sort should be able to sort by more than just alphabetical order... we'd also want it to sort on dates and numbers as well and the cells currently have no concept of dates or numbers either - so the tables would need to support that kind of ability as well.

I've also seen another feature request for basic formulas and mathematical equations. I've also seen a feature request to embed a live Google Sheet into the note.

Although I think it would be cool if tables could sort, I'm not sure it's worth adding that kind of complexity into the app.

I think the tables are meant for more basic kinds of things. If we need tables that can sort or do basic formulas, or if we need huge tables of data, then I think it's probably just best to link to an online spreadsheet or embed an Excel, Numbers or other spreadsheet into the note as an attachment.

This feature would help me immensely. The inability to easily reorder, sort, or filter tables is forcing me to look into other applications for my purposes, which sucks because I've had a paid version of Evernote for forever and dont really want to make the switch.  Clicking a column head should give me the option to at least reorder a table alphabetically, or, if there are dates/numbers, chronologically. I just feel that as a user 2022, my expectations are that I can quickly sort any table in any application. 

• Level 5

We can all agree that basic functions would move tables in EN to another level.

Currently a table is more or less a HTML formatting construction, creating a series of „cells“ in which to store content. To make it perform actions the tables feature probably needs a complete recoding. Which means I wouldn’t wait for it to show up any time soon.

To show interest in it, you can send feedback to EN, or issue a support ticket.

• Like 1

I spent. bit of time today figuring out how to sort by a table column until 
I finally did some web searches and learned the feature just isn't part
of Evernote

As noted above, adding sorting especially and filtering would be most welcome.
Those are basic features people have come. to expect from tables. 

Adding sorting should be a high priority task going forward. 

It's perhaps worth noting that the embedding of spreadsheets into a note is one of the things that EN decided to offer to all users. Therefore you get all spreadsheet functionaility including filtering and sorting.

It's definitely not a perfect preview (fixed cell height and width) and you can't interact directly with the data (you have to open the spreadsheet for that) but it is worth bearing in mind.