Allow adjustments to line spacing

expressp

Idea

25 replies to this idea

I support this request. Have been a long term user. But the updates where EN introduced horrific formatting with lots of white space hugely disrupted my user experience. I went to a legacy version for a while. Might sound trivial, but this will be the issue where I leave completely. 

Need an option to have single line spacing. Simply cannot get enough text in a single window. and no, reducing font size to 8pt or something stupid like that is not a solution. The experience of reading and reviewing existing notes is just too annoying and fiddly now. 

Also, unless you pay a subscription there is no way of contacting EN. This place is the only option available. 

Straws and the backs of camels - line spacing is going to be the issue where after over a decade of use, I finally bin Evernote

• Like 2

I'm with you @expressp

I have been trying to figure out why I don't enjoy using Evernote for my notes. 

This inability to control line spacing is a contributing factor.  I came here hoping to discover that there was a way to do it that I was just not figuring out on my own.

Having a lot of text on a Note becomes overwhelming. The other solution is to break the notes up into multiple notes, but that is also difficult to work with.

Making text small with basic result of having the lines further apart makes my notes harder to read + it feels so elementary.  This is a note taking app, no?

I don't understand why you @PinkElephant are suggesting not to post this request here -- it's a general feature request thread. I actually just spent [too much] time searching for a feedback feature in the client to no avail. When I googled how to submit feedback to EN, the results were pointing me here.  ??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think pressing more and more characters in tiny spaces is a horrible idea … but anybody as he pleases …

The forum is user2user (these are the guys here that dislike ideas occasionally, and don’t care if you join or quit. However sometimes we can help with an issue).

To reach EN use the feedback function build into the clients, or send a support ticket.

By way of example, in a window of exactly the same size, and same font size, There are over 50 lines of text in Windows Note Pad, and only around 25 lines on the EN window. 

I agree, we all have varying preferences and needs. Which is why I am disappointed that EN has imposed a template that makes it hard to work with texts, and given us no options to have different paragraph and line spacing defaults. 

Seriously Pink Elephant, I think line spacing/leading control isn't too much to ask. I'd like to tighten up the spacing on my document to so as not to have to print a final page with 2 lines of text on it. I'm not asking for a level of control on par with the likes of Adobe InDesign, but a few choices would be nice.  Saying "go to a word processor" isn't a solution. The "I don't see a need for it and thus there isn't a need" is not a logical argument. 

I'm done with this debate.  I've stated my case and explained it. Agree to disagree I guess but history has shown giving your users control over the content they author is a good thing if intuitive design is at its foundation. You can bring progress to a halt with fear if you want though.

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Know what - I don’t care if the count is this here and that there. If I need to, I scroll. And looking at the reactions to this thread, it is not a pressing issue for most users either.

To me it looks as if you simply use the wrong tool.

If you want elaborate formatting instead of a plain, easy to use note editor, just pick your choice out of a wealth of word processing or page layout programs. There are plenty.

You care so little you keep returning to this thread. Not sure why you are so threatened by the possibility of optionality. You also seem to be under the mistaken impression that this thread is about you. 

As I explained this tool worked fine for me for many years, and now it does not. 

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, please don't bother. 

I agree with OP.  If there is a link to vote for this, I will.  
And, Pink Elephant, we aren't asking to make the formatting more complicated, we simply want that little bit of excess line spacing removed, or the option to have it removed.  That bit of line spacing is what's complicating things in the first place. 
It's a nuisance when selecting lines and lines of text, that's my main gripe with it. 

Personally I think pressing more and more characters in tiny spaces is a horrible idea

What's hilarious is that Pink Elephant thinks (as usual) that however Evernote have decided to do it, any more is too much, and any less is... too little.

However Evernote do it, that's just perfect!  Like these lines, for instance.  Just dandy.

🍏 here's an apple for teacher, sir.

• Level 5

If you want to send feedback to EN, use that function in the client.

The EN editor is a compact, lean component. It does not have that sort of detailed layout control, and it does not have it for a reason. I do not expect they will build complex layout controls like this into the note client.

• Level 5

Personally I think pressing more and more characters in tiny spaces is a horrible idea … but anybody as he pleases …

The forum is user2user (these are the guys here that dislike ideas occasionally, and don’t care if you join or quit. However sometimes we can help with an issue).

To reach EN use the feedback function build into the clients, or send a support ticket.

• Level 5

Know what - I don’t care if the count is this here and that there. If I need to, I scroll. And looking at the reactions to this thread, it is not a pressing issue for most users either.

To me it looks as if you simply use the wrong tool.

If you want elaborate formatting instead of a plain, easy to use note editor, just pick your choice out of a wealth of word processing or page layout programs. There are plenty.

29 minutes ago, ebtihal said:

If there is a link to vote for this, I will.  

At the top of the post. Hit the up arrow

image.png.7f5fbec34ee0c52d87eff7189025b31e.png

but also send your feedback to EN directly (e.g. Help -> Share feedback) to make sure they have got the message.

• Evernote Expert

If that's what you need then, possibly, Apple Notes is your best option.

You can tell Evernote your idea via the Feedback option in the app. However, I would anticipate that even if your suggestion is adopted it will take many months to arrive and you will never know whether it will be adopted or not.

• Level 5

This option in Apple Notes makes the font larger or smaller, including the spacing. There are shortcuts for that on EN as well - would have to look them up.

This is not what was requested originally in this thread. It was asked to modify the line spacing independently from the font, explicitly to press more lines of a given font size on a page.

• Level 5

Seriously - ask for what you want. I don’t care.

The only advise was that you shouldn’t expect anything to happen soon (or ever). The use of a word processor or page Lay-out app is the only way that works. Beside this I still can’t see the point to complicate the editor just to allow for Lay-out fine tuning. IMHO not needed for a note app.

Not needed according to you. However, "I don't want or care about" doesn't equate to not needed. I can understand a concern that this could lead to feature creep maybe, but by itself it would be a great addition.  Many features are better to have and those that don't want don't use than it is to just not have a feature and act like those who want it are foolish.

• Level 5

Watch at the ribbons landscape you encounter when opening MS Word, and tell me if I should take you serious about „Features don’t harm, just ignore if you don’t use them“. For most uses Word is broken by overload.

To get more features, devs need to develop them, devs need to maintain them, and users need to ignore them. Doesn’t sound too reasonable for me.

• Like 1

MS has never been known for good UI design.

I think a simple line spacing option is not asking for 20 features. Sure "just one more" can lead to 20 features if done 20 times and thus how feature creep usually happens and why it earns the term "creep." I don't think the solution is to refuse to add new features. Then you end up with an application that is too limiting.

The key is giving people the ability to customize their UI. I can do this in most Adobe apps, in Maya, and various other apps. I can customize Photoshop to have only the tools I need for photo editing, yet switch to a layout that has all the typography tools I need if doing a graphic design project that calls for a lot of type. If I had every palette open, it would be a mess. So, Adobe gives me the ability to show and hide what I want.

So, your concern is valid. I just want options that can be toggled so that we all get what we want and hide the rest.

• Evernote Expert

@gphelps73 Since we are all users around here we do our best to help other users find ways to workaround issues whilst helping to help us manage our expectations.

You can certainly advocate for a feature. You will rightly say that you don't care what I need. The key thing to remember is that development ideas have virtually never been commented upon by Evernote. As noted above, make your ideas known. But you should expect those who try to help to suggest that you are unlikely to see any such development at anytime in the near future.

Evernote staff have said that their entire focus at present is speed and reliability. We also know that AI features are on their agenda. For thr rest expect to be waiting more than a year.

• Level 5

In general I respect the wishes anybody has for features.

About the often mentioned „toggle“ to customize, I just want to mention that each toggle requires at least 1 IF-THEN-ELSE term in the code. Sometimes on startup, sometimes on each execution of a certain function.

20, 50 or 100 of them create a maze of options, make debugging and QA very difficult and slow down the app in general. So as much as it is used as a „peacemaker“ for controversy, I don’t think it is a good strategy with an app that still needs to keep an eye on performance.