Allow adjustments to line spacing

expressp

Idea

Allow adjustments to line spacing (leading) so the lines in a note can be closer together.  Even when reducing the font size the line spacing does not reduce.  In Word this is controlled by the Paragraph dialog box copied below (or attached)

image.png.85b9d8de637ad666c1d9f7704a90e3f1.png

• Like 4

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

If you want to send feedback to EN, use that function in the client.

The EN editor is a compact, lean component. It does not have that sort of detailed layout control, and it does not have it for a reason. I do not expect they will build complex layout controls like this into the note client.

I'm with you @expressp

I have been trying to figure out why I don't enjoy using Evernote for my notes. 

This inability to control line spacing is a contributing factor.  I came here hoping to discover that there was a way to do it that I was just not figuring out on my own.

Having a lot of text on a Note becomes overwhelming. The other solution is to break the notes up into multiple notes, but that is also difficult to work with.

Making text small with basic result of having the lines further apart makes my notes harder to read + it feels so elementary.  This is a note taking app, no?

I don't understand why you @PinkElephant are suggesting not to post this request here -- it's a general feature request thread. I actually just spent [too much] time searching for a feedback feature in the client to no avail. When I googled how to submit feedback to EN, the results were pointing me here.  ??

• Evernote Expert

You are welcome to post feedback here.  What @PinkElephant is suggesting is that you feedback directly to the developers rather than leave an idea in the forums where it may not be seen other than by fellow users.

I support this request. Have been a long term user. But the updates where EN introduced horrific formatting with lots of white space hugely disrupted my user experience. I went to a legacy version for a while. Might sound trivial, but this will be the issue where I leave completely. 

Need an option to have single line spacing. Simply cannot get enough text in a single window. and no, reducing font size to 8pt or something stupid like that is not a solution. The experience of reading and reviewing existing notes is just too annoying and fiddly now. 

Also, unless you pay a subscription there is no way of contacting EN. This place is the only option available. 

Straws and the backs of camels - line spacing is going to be the issue where after over a decade of use, I finally bin Evernote

• Level 5

Personally I think pressing more and more characters in tiny spaces is a horrible idea … but anybody as he pleases …

The forum is user2user (these are the guys here that dislike ideas occasionally, and don’t care if you join or quit. However sometimes we can help with an issue).

To reach EN use the feedback function build into the clients, or send a support ticket.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think pressing more and more characters in tiny spaces is a horrible idea … but anybody as he pleases …

The forum is user2user (these are the guys here that dislike ideas occasionally, and don’t care if you join or quit. However sometimes we can help with an issue).

To reach EN use the feedback function build into the clients, or send a support ticket.

By way of example, in a window of exactly the same size, and same font size, There are over 50 lines of text in Windows Note Pad, and only around 25 lines on the EN window. 

I agree, we all have varying preferences and needs. Which is why I am disappointed that EN has imposed a template that makes it hard to work with texts, and given us no options to have different paragraph and line spacing defaults. 

• Level 5

Know what - I don’t care if the count is this here and that there. If I need to, I scroll. And looking at the reactions to this thread, it is not a pressing issue for most users either.

To me it looks as if you simply use the wrong tool.

If you want elaborate formatting instead of a plain, easy to use note editor, just pick your choice out of a wealth of word processing or page layout programs. There are plenty.

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Know what - I don’t care if the count is this here and that there. If I need to, I scroll. And looking at the reactions to this thread, it is not a pressing issue for most users either.

To me it looks as if you simply use the wrong tool.

If you want elaborate formatting instead of a plain, easy to use note editor, just pick your choice out of a wealth of word processing or page layout programs. There are plenty.

You care so little you keep returning to this thread. Not sure why you are so threatened by the possibility of optionality. You also seem to be under the mistaken impression that this thread is about you. 

As I explained this tool worked fine for me for many years, and now it does not. 

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, please don't bother.