Ctrl+Q in latest evernote version (Evernote 10.26.5) not working when inside a note

The switch to feature, hotkey Ctrl + Q, does not work when the text cursor is active inside of a note. Ctrl+Q used to be my way of quickly navigating evernote and it never failed me in the past. The name of the feature suggests it's meant to switch from one notebook to another, most of the time spent in evernote you are typing in a note so I assume it's supposed to work while the user is active in a note. 
I know there is a new shortcut, ctrl+alt+F that decently replaces Ctrl+Q, BUT Ctrl + Q is way more convenient for switching to notebooks. 
Thank you :)

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 1/5/2022 at 10:26 AM, IFreedawg said:

The switch to feature, hotkey Ctrl + Q, does not work when the text cursor is active inside of a note.

I concur but this is by design. The switch to dialogue is to change your current notebook focus which is not something you would most naturally wish to do whilst editing a note.

Your workaround of Ctl+Alt+F works but with an extra mouse click. I think that may be your only option.  Submit your request via Feedback in app or by raising a support ticket.

• 1 month later...

Ctrl+Q is marvelous, but works inconsistently for me. In the Win desktop version, clicking Ctrl+Q anywhere outside the note -- note title area, up at the top near Evernote or note heading, on the side -- works just fine. But in the web version, nothing seemed to work: Ctrl+Q or Ctrl+Alt+F.

10 minutes ago, Patricius said:

Ctrl+Q is marvelous, but works inconsistently for me. In the Win desktop version, clicking Ctrl+Q anywhere outside the note -- note title area, up at the top near Evernote or note heading, on the side -- works just fine. But in the web version, nothing seemed to work: Ctrl+Q or Ctrl+Alt+F.

From what I've experienced there's less support for keyboard shortcuts in the web than in the apps.

In the desktop app I've reassigned CTRL+Q to CTRL + NUMBER PAD MINUS and it works a treat inside and outside notes.

You need to find a key that's not wanted by the editor or the app and reassign "switch to" in the desktop app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The web client is just a tab inside of a browser. It can’t set keyboard shortcuts as an app executed on the computer does. Otherwise each tab in a Browser (running completely different websites) would mess with keyboard settings of the computer running the browser. Beside being a security nightmare it would create a permanent chaos, when each web designer applies his favorite settings to the keyboard.

This is a structural difference between web and desktop client, and for me it makes perfect sense the web client is not able to switch over the computers keyboard.

• 1 year later...

To get EN10 work similar to good old Legacy, I have assigned following command/keystrokes

• Switch command to <CTRL><Numpad><Minus>
  • Search to <CTRL>-Q

Works fine - but only if my cursor is outside a note 😞
Whilst editing a note, <CTRL>-Q changes the current paragraph to block justification 😤
I've to click <CTRL>-Z (Undo) or <CTRL>-L to get back to my left justificated mode...

Problem: <CTRL>-Q within note text cannot be reassigned to any other keystroke

The problems <CTRL>-Q has been mentioned here before 12 month. What's going wrong with EN's quality assurance?

• Level 5

Or you could use something other than Ctrl+Q. George Bernard Shaw said, "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man seeks to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." This is probably true. However, it is also true of all resistance to progress (or at least to change). :)

3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

To get EN10 work similar to good old Legacy, I have assigned following command/keystrokes

• Switch command to <CTRL><Numpad><Minus>
  • Search to <CTRL>-Q

Works fine - but only if my cursor is outside a note 😞
Whilst editing a note, <CTRL>-Q changes the current paragraph to block justification 😤
I've to click <CTRL>-Z (Undo) or <CTRL>-L to get back to my left justificated mode...

Problem: <CTRL>-Q within note text cannot be reassigned to any other keystroke

The problems <CTRL>-Q has been mentioned here before 12 month. What's going wrong with EN's quality assurance?

Looks like you are offline. Please reconnect to the Internet Reconnect now

Wo I hit <CTRL><Numpad>rks for me inside a note.<Minus> anywhere and Switch To opens. 

I'm on Windows latest version.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:36 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

George Bernard Shaw said

THX for that 😉 But my question is not answered: 

<CTRL>-Q within note text cannot be reassigned to any other keystroke 

There are some other functions within the note editor that cannot be reassigned. Is it because they're "well known" and|or standardized for Windows at all (No - even Word allows to reassign the button to make a text section Left, Right, Center or Block aligned)

And: If <CTRL>-Q cannot be unassigned within the note editor - why did EN use it for a new (and completely other) functionality outside the editor? This is bad UI design...

• Level 5

I agree that the multiple assignments for Ctrl+Q is ridiculous, esp. since it makes no particular sense to assign it to text justification. The duplication is why I changed the "Switch" function to Ctrl+S, which was unique and available. Of course, this does require a disturbing amount of reasonable flexibility on my part, not something I am necessarily well provided with....