Web clip missing from Win Desktop EN Client

After a year of avoiding the update, I am finally moving from EN v6.25.1 to EN v10.27.5
A little culture shock, but it all looks pretty workable

Problem

Web clipping from FF (Win7) shows up in Android (12) EN & EN web version from my Desktop PC

But, it is missing from the Desktop Client and does not show up in All NOTES or the specified NoteBook
The Web clip does show up in the Desktop Client (HOME) under the widget Recently Captured > Web Clips
And it will show up in a global search

But, click on the associated NoteBook it is in and the clipped Note is missing
It is also missing from the All NOTES ..

There are also other inconsistencies between Web ver and Desktop ver (see img)

Bug or what ??

ScreenCapture 01032022003.jpg

ScreenCapture 01032022009.jpg

• Level 5*

Hi.   To rebuild your desktop local database:

• Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  • Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option
  • Click Sign out.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Sign back in to Evernote
  • Evernote Expert

The sync should work failrly seemlessly. The time it takes for a clipped note to appear in the desktoop app can be a few seconds up to a minute or so.  Very occasionally it doesn't appear to arrive.  I generally find that quitting and returning is sufficient. @gazumped has offered another slightly more radical approach which typically works. Another option is hidden away in the Help | Troubleshooting menu. For Windows, Ctrl+R, will reload your data, Ctrl+Shift+R will force a reload.

If the issue persists when you clip new stuff then the File | Sign Out | Remove my Evernote data approach will repair your local copies of the data.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:06 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.   To rebuild your desktop local database:

• Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  • Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option
  • Click Sign out.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Sign back in to Evernote

Dang, wish I had thought of that .. Rebuild the dB every time I need a Note to sync from Android --> Win Client ;>

After using EN 10 ver for a week now, I see that the desktop sync issue is persistent ..
If the change/addition was introduced in the Win Client, then all is well
But, with things that originate from EN Web or EN Android, the sync to Desktop Client is not reliable ..
It happens too often

Quit EN Win Client and Restart and the material is synced.
.. But, that doesn't seem real efficient either, quit and restart with each change

.. And that, dear Production Team is why we might not want to eliminate the manual sync from Desktop Client
.. Got a little over confident about the certainty of Sync from Web/Phone --> Win Desktop Client, did we ?

Also, I have seemingly made another mistake in finally surrendering my EN ver 6.25.1
I see the newest update EN 10.28 is not longer compatible with Win 7, citing "possible technical issues"

I will research how to reset everything back to EN ver 6.25.1 ..
I think I still have those installation files and the dB will probably sync just fine

Or, I will eventually have to just stop complaining and use the EN Web ver..
Give up the Desktop Client altogether ..

<end of Rant> .. for Now ;>>

ScreenCapture 01062022001.jpg

On 1/4/2022 at 8:14 AM, agsteele said:

The sync should work failrly seemlessly. The time it takes for a clipped note to appear in the desktoop app can be a few seconds up to a minute or so.  Very occasionally it doesn't appear to arrive.  I generally find that quitting and returning is sufficient. @gazumped has offered another slightly more radical approach which typically works. Another option is hidden away in the Help | Troubleshooting menu. For Windows, Ctrl+R, will reload your data, Ctrl+Shift+R will force a reload.

If the issue persists when you clip new stuff then the File | Sign Out | Remove my Evernote data approach will repair your local copies of the data.

The Ctrl+R seems to resolve the lack of a manual sync in the Desktop Client ver 10
Thanks for this tip ..

• Level 5

Removing and rebuilding the local database is not for syncing - it is for correcting errors in the local notes, which can lead to all sort of mistakes. This is nothing new, legacy has similar repair functions (only a bit more granular).

The ctrl/cmd-R option is sort of a manual syncing. It is nice to have, but usually the syncing from the client to the server works fine automatically. Where problems may occur is in syncing from the server to the clients. I had mixed results with cmd-R (on the Mac) to force a down sync. Usually unsynced notes will eventually sync, maybe after several minutes, or maybe half an hour.

57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Removing and rebuilding the local database is not for syncing - it is for correcting errors in the local notes, which can lead to all sort of mistakes. This is nothing new, legacy has similar repair functions (only a bit more granular).

>> Yea, EN 10 lacks the Cntl+Help Functions of EN 6

... Where problems may occur is in syncing from the server to the clients.

>> Yep, this is exactly where the issue comes in

Usually unsynced notes will eventually sync, maybe after several minutes, or maybe half an hour.

>> I'm usually either setting at the PC or using the Phone
>> So, I can live with this
>> Esp, since a quit and start again puts everything in sync.

I'm gonna keep going with EN 10+ Desktop on my Win7 until the updates actually break something
I'm always pretty confident that none of my data gets corrupted even if the GUI breaks on Win7

I do like the new EN 10+, held out for a year with ver 6

Thanks for your input

• Level 5

It doesn't need the former help menu options. The legacy version worked on its local database, and then synced it to the server. v10 is AFAIK more working like a browser, syncing directly. Many operations are running server side, not locally any more.

To get a hold on syncing issues, you can use the web client. It is a direct view on the EN server data. Just keep in mind it needs to refresh before it reflects the latest changes. Usually changes made on one of the clients show up pretty fast in the web client. The up sync device to server seems to work.

Usually it takes some time on the down sync leg, from the server to all other devices. I could not yet find a pattern - maybe it is waiting on some server side action first. This happens fast on occasion, but sometimes the server is in overload, and then it takes much longer. Just my 5ct ...

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

It doesn't need the former help menu options. The legacy version worked on its local database, and then synced it to the server. v10 is AFAIK more working like a browser, syncing directly. Many operations are running server side, not locally any more.

To get a hold on syncing issues, you can use the web client. It is a direct view on the EN server data. Just keep in mind it needs to refresh before it reflects the latest changes. Usually changes made on one of the clients show up pretty fast in the web client. The up sync device to server seems to work.

Usually it takes some time on the down sync leg, from the server to all other devices. I could not yet find a pattern - maybe it is waiting on some server side action first. This happens fast on occasion, but sometimes the server is in overload, and then it takes much longer. Just my 5ct ...

Thanks for all this info ..

I think I just needed (1) good gripe session, moving from v6 --> v10
Overall, I do like the work flow and feel of EN 10 ..
Been getting used to it for a week now :)

EN web lacks the power of a desktop client
No context menus, keyboard functions (del, etc.), or shortcuts

• Like 1