doubled note!

McVitas

Idea

Hello so I have this one really big note and recently I was surprised few times that I cannot find some text in it while I was pretty sure I typed it there. Today I found out the note is frikin twice in the same Notebook! It has the same name, but it is NOT in the conflicting changes. It's just there twice and now I have no idea which edits I did where! I frequently add and edit text in it and now it seems this sneaky doubling caused utter chaos in the content of this. How could this happen and how can there be two notes with the same name? Now I will have to go through 135kB of text and compare what is where! :((

I am using Evernote legacy because of the shortcut bar

5 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Note names are not unique in Evernote. You can, in theory, have multiple notes with the same name if you choose.

How could this happen...?  Typically by have the same note open on two devices at the same time. But you could also, accidentally created a duplicate copy. But none of these scenarios would give you a note with an identical name. 

If you are a subscriber then you can look at the note histories of each version which MIGHT give a clue as to when the changes occurred.

You might be better using an external text editor which can compare content for differences.

I am using EverNote on a PC windows application and on my Android phone. Of course it can happen that I have the same note open on both devices! You are saying this situation can result in this kind of weird split? Sounds like a major bug to me! I have sync conflicts quite often, but THIS is new.

• Level 5

EN treats the note as an entity. Not a word, not a sentence, not a picture - the whole note. And this is not new.

If you have it open and make changes on one device here, on another there, both will sync to the server. Now you have this situation: One device will have the note in edit mode (which means only local changes allowed), you write from the other device a revised note to the server. The server tries to sync with all other devices - but on one device the note can't sync, because it is in edit mode.

Bingo - because it can not decide which of your changes is the relevant one, it will detect a note conflict, and write a conflict note.

A very simple logic - if you take an informatic course about databases, you learn about it in the first hours. EN solves it by the book - preserve both change threads by writing a conflict data set.

On 1/5/2022 at 12:47 AM, PinkElephant said:

EN treats the note as an entity. Not a word, not a sentence, not a picture - the whole note. And this is not new.

If you have it open and make changes on one device here, on another there, both will sync to the server. Now you have this situation: One device will have the note in edit mode (which means only local changes allowed), you write from the other device a revised note to the server. The server tries to sync with all other devices - but on one device the note can't sync, because it is in edit mode.

Bingo - because it can not decide which of your changes is the relevant one, it will detect a note conflict, and write a conflict note.

A very simple logic - if you take an informatic course about databases, you learn about it in the first hours. EN solves it by the book - preserve both change threads by writing a conflict data set.

I am really sorry, but this is all clear and simple, so why do you explain it? You haven't read the OP properly, because as I said this DID NOT create a "conflict of..." note in the "conflicting changes" section! It just somehow created copy of the note with the same name in the same notebook which is super confusing and I have noticed it after weeks of editing that this have happened.