Random GMail user requests access to my most sensitive note(s) ?!

Hello there,

I was pretty shocked to find the following request in my e-mail inbox today. Someone specifically (and only) requested access to one of the few very sensitive and encrypted notes within my 26,000 Evernote notes and did not do so by e.g. using an Evernote e-mail address, but their private GMail account. Why do I mention an "Evernote e-mail address" in this context?

Because I recently (re)opened a ticket with support about (another) encrypted note and I don't know how else anybody would be able to gain access to my EN database, to even ask for this permission? Worryingly, all Evernote support agents are supposed to be on a holiday break until 3rd of January 2022 ?

So what should I make of this odd request (that I cannot even deny / cancel !!) ? Can I report or block the e-mail address somewhere?

1194657774_2022-01-01_Requestfornoteaccess.png.ff1a3647059fbbf31397ec8095335e80.png

• Level 5*

Definitely report this to Support - they'll be back working in a couple of days,  but with a backlog of holiday requests to work through... 

It looks like the Evernote system is working correctly - someone attempting access to a note via it's 'share' link would get a link to the effect of "you're not authorised to see this note - ask the author for permission" with a disguised link to your email address.  The attempted access might have been intended for another URL,  but occurred through a misquoted or mistyped address.  

Check the details of that note to make sure the share link is not active.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AlwaysTired said:

Someone specifically (and only) requested access to one of the few very sensitive and encrypted notes within my 26,000 Evernote notes

It's happened to me in the forums    
I provided a copy of a note that contained a link to one of my notes   
Users clicked on the link, triggering the access request

• Evernote Expert

I can understand your concern. I would be equally concerned. It is quite possible for a scammer to attempt access to random notes by generating random note IDs. Good thing that the EN system has caught this and referred it to you. @DTLow has suggested another way this could have happened.

Check that sharing is disabled for this note. Definitely report this. Ensure your take the normal security checks for your account.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I provided a copy of a note that contained a link to one of my notes

Which prompts a lightbulb moment - we occasionally get requests to provide limited access to a shared page - it hadn't occurred to me before that if you send out a publicly shared note (or a link to a public share) which basically says:  please request access to <this information> by clicking the link, you could then allow individual users access  - or not - by email address;  and you'd know who has actually accessed that link.  (Sorry for the brief side line there)