Notes are missing while searching

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hi Everyone,

I am using Evernote for years. It is an amazing app and it has supported and helped me a lot in so many things. I was very disappointed with the new versions though and I remained with the Legacy one. In the last 10 days though I have started using the Evernote 10.27.5 which has improved a lot and I can’t find a reason using the Legacy anymore. The last Evernote updates have closed the gap I believe with our old great Evernote and now we have a NEW great Evernote. I would like to thank everyone involved and keeps Evernote alive behind the keyboards.

I have a small issue with the search function, there are times where a note is not displayed after a search while in Legacy version is displayed (with the same search). When I retype the note title (in the last Evernote update) then the problem is solved and the note is found while searching. Any clue?

Thank you and happy new year to all.

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's difficult to suggest why random searches don't work immediately - best advice when it fails would be to carefully document when and how a note was added to the database,  and how long after you searched for it,  then raise a ticket with Support so they can look into it.  Remember that the new version is very much more dependent on the server for main storage and search indexing,  and the new temporary local storage isn't quite the same thing as having a complete local database.  Sync before search is probably more important these days.  If you find that searches are really failing,  you could rebuild the local cache - which involves signing out,  unticking 'save a copy of my notes on this machine' and (maybe) a restart to refresh everything.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. I am trying to find a pattern for why certain notes do not appear in the new Evernote while the same search words displays more notes in legacy version.

One thing that i noticed is that the "new" Evernote does not display large pdf files. For example a pdf of 50MB is shown as attachment and there is no option to convert it to all pages. The only way is to open manually the pdf. i suspect that the search process does not look inside those large pdf files therefore they are not displayed. In Legacy version large files are displayed perfectly. Any hint on this?

Once more, thank you for your support and help

Spyros Bonatsos

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Markaseos said:

I am trying to find a pattern for why certain notes do not appear in the new Evernote while the same search words displays more notes in legacy version.

A better comparison might be between the desktop version and the web version. If you can't find the notes in either there is obviously some fundamental change to the search algorithm. If on the other hand you can find them on the web version then it may just be a matter of deleting and reloading the local data base.

I don't believe large pdfs are the issue as I have had  plenty of search results which include large pdfs.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Mike P said:

I don't believe large pdfs are the issue as I have had  plenty of search results which include large pdfs.

Thank you for the reply. I just uploaded a pdf file of 27MB and when I right click on it (to view it as pages) this is what I get - there is no option "view as attachment" or "all pages". Am I doing something wrong? In smaller files I can see the two options. 

I believe that in the below 27MB file search doesn't look inside the file (but this is my guess of course).

big file in evernote.jpg

5 minutes ago, Markaseos said:

Thank you for the reply. I just uploaded a pdf file of 27MB and when I right click on it (to view it as pages) this is what I get - there is no option "view as attachment" or "all pages". Am I doing something wrong? In smaller files I can see the two options. 

I believe that in the below 27MB file search doesn't look inside the file (but this is my guess of course).

big file in evernote.jpg

Have you tried to click the ellipsis menu (tree dots)  at the top of the document? You should be able to select "All pages" instead of a single page.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

Have you tried to click the ellipsis menu (tree dots)  at the top of the document? You should be able to select "All pages" instead of a single page.

There are no options for large files. eg this 59MB one when you hit the three dots :

image.png.e11c6078398c7c22e34be5b76d408292.png

However I still get results from within these large pdf files. I think whether they are dispayed inline or as an attachment is a red herring.

My suggestion is still to compare the Evernote web search with  the desktop search.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:08 PM, Mike P said:

My suggestion is still to compare the Evernote web search with  the desktop search.

Dear Mike P - thank you so much for your suggestion. The web search brings the same number of results as the legacy version. The new Evernote brings less results - all with the same search phrase of-course.

So I will follow the next step of your advice - how do I delete and reload the local data base ?? Any help? I have no idea.

Thank you so much.

Spyros

On 1/6/2022 at 11:08 PM, Mike P said:

There are no options for large files. eg this 59MB one when you hit the three dots :

Following Eric99's advice I have used the three dots and it works for me !!!! This is different from Mike's drop down menu - crazy !!!

three dots.jpg

• Level 5
  • Solution

Rebuild the local database on Windows:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

On a Mac, it is similar, just the menu items are named a bit differently.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Markaseos said:

Following Eric99's advice I have used the three dots and it works for me !!!! This is different from Mike's drop down menu - crazy !!!

How big was your pdf file? I normally get the option for attachment, single page and all pages but not for very big files (59MB in my example)

5 minutes ago, Mike P said:

How big was your pdf file? I normally get the option for attachment, single page and all pages but not for very big files (59MB in my example)

My file is a book 27MB. Another issue with the new Evernote is that I cant see the number of pages even if i select "all pages" from the three dots. I had to look from Legacy ... 337 pages.

17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Rebuild the local database on Windows:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

On a Mac, it is similar, just the menu items are named a bit differently.

Worked !!!! One million thanks. Same number of results now in both Legacy and New Evernote. You are both great.

Mike P thank you so much for your idea towards the solution and PinkElephant your technical advice is highly appreciated.

Problem solved !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/6/2022 at 10:35 AM, Mike P said:

A better comparison might be between the desktop version and the web version. If you can't find the notes in either there is obviously some fundamental change to the search algorithm. If on the other hand you can find them on the web version then it may just be a matter of deleting and reloading the local data base.

To the target !!! Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

I experienced a search difference between the legacy version and V10 desktop or web.

A simple single word search  that should be found just in a plain note (not in an attachment), isn't found by V10 desktop or web  but it does show up in legacy ! This is such a basic search expression that I can't believe that it doesn't work in V10. I can live with many bugs, but not with this one since searching is my only way to retrieve my notes.

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Sure your notes are synced up to date?  Support ticket if you can't find something you know has been uploaded.

Yes, all my notes are synced, on legacy as well.  I can understand that a desktop can be out of sync, but the search doesn't work in the web version either. Only the good old legacy delivers the expected notes.

I did an interesting experiment: the same query with disconnected network does find the notes (these are old notes, they should have been indexed on the server for a long time already) . Why do we need that server again 🙄