Web versions won't sync with...themselves? or the desktop app

Liss

So there appear to be three web clients. The 'classic' one, the 'new classic' one, and the 'new new' one.

The classic one has all of the correct notes, organized properly, and matches what I see in my desktop version of Evernote Legacy with the exception that it has one new note (added via web clipper) that will not sync to my desktop.

The "new classic" version also has the correct notes and matches the version above.

The "new new" one (with the home page) is...a disaster. It has thousands of notes that have been deleted from other version. It has entire notebooks and stacks that should no longer exist. Loading any new notebook just spins for...well, I gave up after an hour or so.

If Evernote stores everything in a common database, and each version should be polling that database for content, why does the latest and (cough ahem cough) "greatest" (morbid laugh) version not match anything else? Where is it getting all of this old ***** and (more importantly) how do I make it GO AWAY so that (as I suspect) the "new fancy" Evernote stops choking everything else from syncing properly?

• Evernote Expert

So since all is not lost, carry on with the better of the Classic versions, and ask tech support for help.

No doubt support is restricted over the Christmas and New Year holidays but you will get a response.

• Level 5*

...Just a general point:  most browsers have a local 'cache' - storage which holds copies of the websites you have used recently sp it doesn't have to download them all over again.  Clearing that cache might get you an updated copy of the database...

50 minutes ago, agsteele said:

So since all is not lost, carry on with the better of the Classic versions, and ask tech support for help.

Actually all IS lost because the none of the above will sync properly to iOS, and they are so inconsistent as to render the entire ecosystem unreliably unusable.

• Level 5

Before making wild assumptions … ask support.

My different clients (Mac, both legacy and v10, several iOS, web, Windows as my least used one) are consistent between each other. Syncing works.

From my experience a difference between installed clients usually points to a local database that was corrupted at a time in the past. It depends on the platform how to resolve it. Yes, the famed legacy as well has database corruption.

Differences on the web client observed by me were all related to some shared notebooks and notes. These don’t show in the count on the web. Beside this effect all web version match nicely.

I have uninstalled, deleted databases, deleted caches, rebooted computers and devices, reinstalled, and it still does not work. Out of six different options (three web versions, legacy app, new app, and iOS) I have five different versions of the database and nothing I do appears to change any of them.

For those of you who appear to think I'm an idiot: Yes, I have submitted a support ticket. Given the holiday, I was (obviously wrongly) hopeful that someone here may have run into this issue and resolved it so that I can resolve it rather than waiting for support to respond. I have worked as a software developer for decades and done technical support in the past, so I'm not exactly fresh off the technology farm. There is clearly something very, very broken.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Liss said:

Actually all IS lost because the none of the above will sync properly to iOS, and they are so inconsistent as to render the entire ecosystem unreliably unusable.

Apologies. There was no mention of the iOS dimension in your initial post. Sorry to have attempted to provide reassurance.

• Level 5

To give a path to follow, I would do this. It always means all other clients are shut down while making the cleaning.

First step: Cycle through all clients, log out once, shut down the host device, restart it, log back in, open EN and wait until the syncing stops.

Shut all EN clients (or the devices) down

From this point, after each step check what is showing in the web client. Do not leave the web client open, restart it  after each cycle. Use a private browser tab to make sure there is no old data somewhere in a browser cache

Second step: Clean the legacy database*. Sync the changes with the server.

Third step: Clean the v10 desktop clients*. Let them finish syncing.

Fourth step: Log out and uninstall all iOS clients. Shut the I-device off, restart it, reinstall the EN app.

(*) There are descriptions in the forum about how to do this in the respective clients.