Departure Announcements

• Level 5*

Credit for the title goes to @Jeremye who posted "This isn't an airport ... you don't need to announce your departures"

Users seem compelled to post their goodbye, so I'm creating this topic as a holding area   
I may post here myself someday.  Today, I'm a satisfied user with over 15,000 notes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, ebow3d said:

I see there are now motre and more restrictions on the free version. Standard old business model. Time to backup and go.

You're using a free service and are upset because it has limits?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • DTLow changed the title to Departure Announcements
  • 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Oh, that is nice. One less who expects a lot, does not contribute a nickel and believes developers live out of thin air. Every business will do better when users of this type just get lost.

Go on, keep moving.

I would think a company would appreciate the feedback and realize that they made a mistake. 

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, shoe96 said:

I would think a company would appreciate the feedback and realize that they made a mistake. 

Actually, you're demonstrating the company did  not make a mistake 

>>The company is not making money

Right, these are non-paying accounts

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Oh, that is nice. One less who expects a lot, does not contribute a nickel and believes developers live out of thin air. Every business will do better when users of this type just get lost.

Go on, keep moving.

How much do you pay for your email?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, shoe96 said:

The rest of the world pays $0. You do not make good financial decisions. 

Well that's kind of personal.  One get's what one pays for.  Interesting how many for pay email clients there are out there for all the world to pay $0.  

Beginning to wonder if I make good time management decisions based upon this thread.  🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

User number 4,279, started using Evernote 3/13/2008. Thousands of notes and gigabytes of data. Paying user for 12 years. Evernote's progress meandered sometimes (selling socks???) but it did meet my needs. This latest "update", what a disaster. Features missing. A bloated, ugly, Electron app. I'm supposed to pay $70/yr for this? With my renewal date approaching, I think my money could be better spent elsewhere. I've worked in IT for 30 years and I can't say I've seen a software release that actually regressed a product as badly as v10 did.

I will say thanks for keeping Evernote Legacy around to allow me to export my notes to .enex files, v10 kept crashing out when I would try. For now I have moved my collection over to Joplin, import was painless and relatively quick. Funny a 3 year old open-source app is more capable than the latest release from a 13 year veteran.

• Like 4

No OCR with Joplin I can handle (just), but I'm struggling with the Joplin bug (?) where deleting a note containing an attachment doesn't delete that attachment. At least, not yet. (A month after deleting the note.) As you say though Scott, this is amazing progress for an application so new. And progress far more rapid, excitingly so, than Evernote has ever managed.

@avevers Check your 'note history' setting. default is 90 days. a note, and attachments, aren't actually purged until the history expires. i've seen the same report from others and that was the issue.

@DTLow maybe we report our departure to let evernote why we are leaving in hopes that it might actually have an impact on future development. vote with your wallet.

• Like 1

I've also been frustrated with some of the missing features (and I lost a note and part of another note).

I remember trying Notion out a couple of years ago and didn't think much about it. Then, back in May (I know it was May, because I wrote in Evernote about it...) I tried it again because I watched some video about how awesome it was. 

Here is what I wrote about Notion back then: 5/28 - It literally gives me such a headache to try and work with this app. Tedious is definitely the right word for it.

I'm not sure I could even use Notion if that was the only option out there.

I tried out Notejoy last night (and, wow, not even close to Evernote) because I've been frustrated with a few things in Evernote Version 10.

Here is hoping it doesn't take too long for Evernote to come back close to feature parity and make things more snappy.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, shoe96 said:

How much do you pay for your email?

I use Apple Mail
Payment included in the device purchase

I have no problem paying for services I use

• Like 1
23 hours ago, CalS said:

Well that's kind of personal.  One get's what one pays for.  Interesting how many for pay email clients there are out there for all the world to pay $0.  

Beginning to wonder if I make good time management decisions based upon this thread.  🤷‍♂️

You make poor time management decisions if you have anything to do with Evernote.  

Billions of people use email that they to not pay for.  Use Google to find out how many.  Google is free.  It's great.  You should use it to search for things and buy Google stock too.  

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use Apple Mail
Payment included in the device purchase

I have no problem paying for services I use

Apple email is free. 

Google Keep is also free.  You should use it instead of Evernote.   

18 hours ago, scottjl said:

User number 4,279, started using Evernote 3/13/2008. Thousands of notes and gigabytes of data. Paying user for 12 years. Evernote's progress meandered sometimes (selling socks???) but it did meet my needs. This latest "update", what a disaster. Features missing. A bloated, ugly, Electron app. I'm supposed to pay $70/yr for this? With my renewal date approaching, I think my money could be better spent elsewhere. I've worked in IT for 30 years and I can't say I've seen a software release that actually regressed a product as badly as v10 did.

I will say thanks for keeping Evernote Legacy around to allow me to export my notes to .enex files, v10 kept crashing out when I would try. For now I have moved my collection over to Joplin, import was painless and relatively quick. Funny a 3 year old open-source app is more capable than the latest release from a 13 year veteran.

I am in a very similar situation with thousands of notes and  a long time paid user. I just hate the system now. The lack of a viable backup option is a disaster for me, I also attach PDFs to notes all the time but the new version just shows you that the file is there, but not it's contents. I'm struggling to find things, it doesn't seem to search within PDFs any more and it's just now generally horrible. I wish I could find a workable alternative that I could migrate to easily. In the meantime the legacy version is just about doing the job but as things stand I would NEVER recommend Evernote to anyone again.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
52 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

I am in a very similar situation with thousands of notes and  a long time paid user. I just hate the system now. The lack of a viable backup option is a disaster for me, I also attach PDFs to notes all the time but the new version just shows you that the file is there, but not it's contents. I'm struggling to find things, it doesn't seem to search within PDFs any more and it's just now generally horrible. I wish I could find a workable alternative that I could migrate to easily. In the meantime the legacy version is just about doing the job but as things stand I would NEVER recommend Evernote to anyone again.

You can go back to a pre V10 version for a bit pending EN getting this sorted.  More than a few folks doing this I believe.  As you say V10 is still unworkable for some preexisting use cases.

9 minutes ago, CalS said:

You can go back to a pre V10 version for a bit pending EN getting this sorted.  More than a few folks doing this I believe.  As you say V10 is still unworkable for some preexisting use cases.

Yes, and that is exactly what I have had to do. The fact that this is necessary and considered even remotely acceptable is what I find totally unbelievable. I want to jump ship but at the moment I can't.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

Yes, and that is exactly what I have had to do. The fact that this is necessary and considered even remotely acceptable is what I find totally unbelievable. I want to jump ship but at the moment I can't.

Yup.  EN made some trade offs with this roll out.  Not trade offs I agree with either.  Mind numbing.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, shoe96 said:

Not a troll, just offering some constructive criticism on how to not have people leave your platform. It is going to fail if you continue to make it suck more.  

Constructive??  You are complaining about the lost of devices on the free plan and stating that you are leaving as a result.  The change is nudging some people off the free plan who will likely never upgrade to premium.  I think Evernote may consider this a win ... or at least I do.

• Like 2
Just now, s2sailor said:

Constructive??  You are complaining about the lost of devices on the free plan and stating that you are leaving as a result.  The change is nudging some people off the free plan who will likely never upgrade to premium.  I think Evernote may consider this a win ... or at least I do.

I am amazed at the whinyness of all you you Lvl 5 people.  It's comical.  A bunch of children with something they know sucks and trying to defend it. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

You all should read some of the 1 star ratings on the play store.  There are a lot of them.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, shoe96 said:

I am amazed at the whinyness of all you you Lvl 5 people.  It's comical.  A bunch of children with something they know sucks and trying to defend it. 

It appears you are confused with the definition of whiny.  Go back and read your original post.

Ok, feeding time is over.

• Haha 2

Just today, there have been 14 1 star reviews on Google Play Store. You should really read them. 

Do you work at Evernote?  If you do, you are going to be out of a job soon. You should go work at Google.  If you don't, you are wasting your time "helping" people on a worthless platform.  

Do you pay for email?  CalS says he does.  Seems pretty dumb, just like paying for Evernote.  

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, shoe96 said:

Do you work at Evernote? 

This is a user discussion forum - we're all users   
Evernote staff do pop in occasionally - they are clearly identified in the sidebar

>>Apple email is free.    Google Keep is also free.  You should use it instead of Evernote.   

Apple email is not free - you have to buy an Apple device
Google Keep is a fine service, but I need extended features
I'm looking at Devonthink - no subscription but the apps are purchased

• Like 1

You all seem to be happy that people are leaving because Evernote sucks.  

"Departure Announcements"?  Really?  You have this crappy app/website and don't like it when people don't like it and leave.  Maybe if you made it not suck, people would stay here.  I have used Evernote for probably close to 10 years.  It was an adequate note taking app, and it is too bad that you are making things worse.  A lot of others are leaving too.  Read the 1 star ratings.

What a miserable group of people.

• Like 1

@shoe96 farewell and goodbye.

"we" are mainly users and do not own this "Web-site" nor are we in the position to like or dislike, if users leave Evernote.

But you are, as far as I can see, a non paying user but feel free, to deeply critzise a product you aren't paying for?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

@shoe96 farewell and goodbye.

"we" are mainly users and do not own this "Web-site" nor are we in the position to like or dislike, if users leave Evernote.

But you are, as far as I can see, a non paying user but feel free, to deeply critzise a product you aren't paying for?

Can I criticize network tv if I don't pay for it? Can I criticize Facebook if I don't pay for it? Can I criticize Google if I don't pay for it? Can I criticize a single app on my phone if I don't pay for them? 

There is no way to provide feedback about the app being reduced to 2 devices. I am sure that an employee will read this and see at least one users dissatisfaction with their decision. Or maybe they can read the 1 star ratings. Do I need to pay for apps in onder to write a review on play Store? 

9 hours ago, shoe96 said:

Suck less! Read the 1 star reviews and fix stuff!  Be relevant!

who cares for or even reads 1 star reviews if they are as low constructive and irrelevant as these posts???

• Like 2
18 hours ago, shoe96 said:

Apple email is free. 

Google Keep is also free.  You should use it instead of Evernote.   

Google Keep is different to Evernote (it depends how you use it, of course) - so the amount of payment may not the only one criteria.

I'm another user adding my voice to the "I'm a long-time Evernote user and have been greatly disappointed by it lately" pool. Currently, with 20,000 notes over the last 12 years, I'm looking to exit Evernote for more than a few reasons:

• Performance has been absolutely terrible and is getting worse. Was trying my best not to lose my patience with the 50 selected note limit on PC (20 on Android!), but deleting 50 text notes should take MINUTES, and doing that dozens of times in a row isn't my idea of being productive or efficient. 
  • The Windows version has gone backwards like 10 steps and I simply cannot stand the directly that Evernote is taking with it. 
  • The lack of a proper way to export my data into a future-proof format has me worried about what happens when I'm forced to move my data away from the platform. 
  • Price increases, while I've tolerated them, seem to go up without any substantial benefit to me as a user. I feel like I was getting far more value from the product 10 years ago. 
  • Still no way to compress notes (more specifically the jpeg files inside of notes). My database is over 15GB and it was too big when it was approaching 5gb...
  • The web clipper has been unreliable and I tend to use it often; being unreliable often is a recipe for frustration. 

I have been a fan of Evernote and have recommended it hundreds of times to family, friends, and follows of my social media platforms (tens of thousands of people) but I feel that my time with Evernote has finally come to an and. I have until July before my yearly subscription ends, so I'll be looking for ways to get my data off their platform in the meantime. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
15 minutes ago, EP2008 said:

I have been a fan of Evernote and have recommended it hundreds of times to family, friends, and follows of my social media platforms (tens of thousands of people) but I feel that my time with Evernote has finally come to an and. I have until July before my yearly subscription ends, so I'll be looking for ways to get my data off their platform in the meantime. 

I'm in a very similar position though I have about half the number of notes. My big problem is finding a comparable service to move to AND finding a service that it is technically easy to move to. Please let us know when you have answers to those issues, I'd love to know the way out.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, charlieedstrom said:

How do you quantify 'a lot'? How does that impact the company? Do you see Evernote as a business or a charity?1

1. There are a lot of 1 star reviews. 

2. It impacts the company because they can see complaints and do nothing to fix them. People will not use this app if there are other better options out there. 

3. Evernote is a business that will be gone in a few years if they do not improve. 

• Confused 1
  • 1 month later...

You can tell by the number of posts that I'm new and not very active here. I only signed up because I was dumbfounded by EN10 and wanted to see what others' experience was and what they were going to do.  The other thing to know about me is that I'm a light user of EN.  That is, I use it only to take notes and write down my thoughts, not to archive media/email/etc.  But EN is still very important because my notes/thoughts are valuable to me, and it's a tool that worked very well--until the bad surprise that was EN10. 

Through this forum's help, I was able to download EN Legacy and I've been using it just fine.  However, as I got to hear about EN alternatives, I tried a few out, mostly out of curiosity.  Notion was just too different.  Google Keep was too limited.  OneNote didn't handle Bangla font well, and also felt too different.  For user-experience, Nimbus was quite similar to EN, but opening and syncing was slow, especially on my Kindle Fire, and the free plan couldn't handle the number of notes I'd want to import from EN.  Finally, I tried Joplin and I've found an app that I think will work as a replacement for EN Legacy. 

I've had to learn a bit about using markdown and add some plugins, but overall it's been quite a smooth transition to Joplin. The import for all ~1200 notes in 5 notebooks worked perfectly.  In the rich text editor view, my EN notes have the exact same formatting.  It perfectly kept all my tags.  It even has a web clipper that works on Opera (though this isn't that important for me).   And it helps that the layout of the panes is quite similar to EN Legacy.  It has all the essential features I need, without any annoyances (e.g. spellcheck that can't be turned off).

Joplin checks these important boxes for me: 1) handle typing and viewing Bangla and Korean fonts well, 2) quick access to shortcuts/favorites (which Joplin lets me arrange as tabs through a plugin), 3) equally fast and accurate search, 4) problem-free and fast syncing (though I needed to do a bit of set-up on Dropbox), 5) lots of useful keyboard shortcuts, 6) easy tagging, 7) dark theme, 8] fast to open/no lag during usage, and 9) it's free.

I do lose a few features, but I can easily live without them: 1) choice of fonts, 2) one-click highlighting and strikethrough, 3) sharing a note, 4) presentation mode, 5) lack of Trash bin for deleted notes.  I'm sure there might be some other features missing, but it just means that I don't notice them because I never used them in EN.

So if the experience/features are quite similar--and in fact, I don't think I gain any new features in Joplin (other than dark theme)--why switch at all?  Why not just stay with EN Legacy?  The main reason is that I can have Joplin working on the 3 devices I own: laptop, phone, and Kindle Fire.  Before, I'd used Simplenote, and lately Nimbus, as a way to transfer some key notes back and forth between the Fire and my laptop.  But as you can imagine, copying/pasting text and syncing between two different apps was rather cumbersome.  But Joplin now allows me to keep all my notes in sync on all 3 devices for free.  Also, as far as I can tell, the open source nature of Joplin means that there are lots of people actively requesting/producing new features and plugins, whereas the development on EN Legacy is no more.

Again, Joplin won't be the solution for other types of users.  But for note takers and text-info archivers (and cheapskates) like me, I think it's a perfectly viable alternative to EN Legacy.

BTW, I'm not trying to take users away from EN or dump on EN or anything like that.  I just wanted to share my experience with a bunch of EN alternatives.  EN Legacy is a wonderful program, evidenced by the fact that only one of many alternatives came anywhere close to replacing it.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Since v10 was launched in September last year, people have different opinions on the new version. Unlike most people I do appreciate the new UI and the note editor. Maybe I didn't engage in many functions in the old version.

But what makes me feel tired is its unreliability.

I downloaded v10.8.2 (the latest version so far) on my iPhone X, downloaded all my notes and tried to use it when offline. The app said I have all my notes downloaded, and that means I can access them without the internet. But some of the images in my notes can't appear, and my phone gets hotter even offline. When I connect my phone, those images can't be shown. And then I tried to look for workaround like clearing notes and redownloading and even reinstalling the app. Sometimes it's successful but sometimes other problems occur. I submit the ticket to the support team. Sometimes they are helpful with steps for me to follow, but sometimes they ask me to repeat the steps again (e.g. clear all my notes and download again).

I illustrate the above example to show that even though the performance and functionality of Evernote v10 is improving, it's still not ready for some users at least. At least I have to "help" them test the app to find out the real root of the issue. I test the app more than I use it, i.e. more than the app helps me.

Workaround is not a new thing on v10. It has been happening for at least nearly 10 years of my using. I can endure because it was acceptable, and there were support team members here to help. After v10, I think why, as a paid user, has to test your app more and more frequently; why it's not Evernote engineers who need to actively finding out all the bugs to fix before the customers report to them. I have spent a lot of time submitting and emailing to them, sending a lot of activity logs. But I'm really frustrated because I still can't see the app is reliable for me. Ranting mode: it seems I pay to work for them.

Actually I have already mitigated all my notes to Bear. But sometimes come back to Evernote and see. Every time I found that I wasted a lot of time. The productivity app does not make me more productive, not because of the design. It can be the team does not have any focus and goals (if I am not wrong, they can't provide a roadmap as required by many users, and they said that they didn't have goals. They sometimes fixed this and that while they introduced some things to the apps. Remember that on v10.3 they said Apple Watch version would be back, but they now don't say anything on this.). I wonder if the team does have some thoughts and ideas on what and how productivity is. Wonder if they don't know and don't want to know. If you are still frequent users, you may find they recently have some pop-ups to show what they have improved and added on the latest update (and they have checklists on the desktop to ensure you to know all the new things first). Do they know these "ads" can interrupt users' workflow? Do they really the app they are making is Evernote but not Facebook or Netflix?

And I think it's time to say the final goodbye to Evernote. The company may be much better in the future, but surely not these coming months. Maybe more than a decade. But I also need to say thanks to Evernote for the past nine years in my life.

• Alvin C changed the title to Thanks, and goodbye Evernote!
  • 8 months later...

Before you get in there first ... yes this is not an airport, no need to announce my departure.

I just hope the devs, or the bean counters, read this.

Have been with Evernote since 2012, first free plan for a while, then upgraded to a paid plan, then recently decided not to renew. I have countless friends that I converted to the Evernote service.

But, Evernote has gotten worse over the last few years, not better;

Restrictions on the paid plan I was on - features etc. Other issues were constant bugs, offline device issues (not sync, but when using a device offline, it wanted to connect first, before showing content. The whole point of offline is I use devices in the field that have no connection. Went back to free, and its now restricted to 2 devices. Ugghh.

Bunch of stuff that have been repeated around and around in these forums.

I have re-discovered Microsoft OneNote. It runs rings. And it's free (at the very least, I pay no extra for it than what I already use in the MS suite.)

So, so many features, easy to use, full featured, really. Full featured.

I'm slowly moving over my Evernote stuff into OneNote then will close account.

So, goodbye to an old friend. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, JohnF2 said:

Restrictions on the paid plan I was on - namely, the amount of devices I can sync to

I wasn't aware of any restrictions on devices for paid users.

3 minutes ago, JohnF2 said:

when using a device offline, it wanted to connect first, before showing content.

If you sign out of Evernote it has to connect to the server to sign you back in.  Known issue - the fix is: don't sign out.

-And if the new v10 was a contributory factor,  a lot of us are still using the original Legacy version until things catch up.

However:  entirely your choice;  objections noted - hope MS is good for you.  Bye!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No devices limit for subscribers. If a device doesn’t sync, there is a specific problem with that device. Sometimes it will be on device (like a corrupted local database), sometimes a network issue (like a firewall setting).

About offline use, it clearly says the client must be logged in when online last to work offline. The client can be closed, the computer can be turned off - as long as the client „remembers“ it was logged in, it works.

Personally I often use EN (both Mac and iOS) while on the train. Because the internet connection is not stable, I prefer to go offline then. EN has never failed me. The data just needs to be downloaded (different on desktop and mobile), and the client logged in before traveling.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005917

I'm leaving Evernote early 2022 - why?

• loosing automation via Filterize.net (service is shutting down)
  • V10 is much too slow, much too hungry for resources, has a cumbersome UI (too many clicks needed)
  • V10 has dropped the REAL tag filter
  • V10 is displaying HTML badly (HTML frames are much too narrow on mobile devices)
  • still no Atlas (gone long time ago) - and some new features I'm not interested in (Home, Tasks)

a pity, but inevitable

===

this was not an easy decision (long-term use), but now it finally had to be done. I have almost 10,000 notes - thanks to Apple Script the data is quickly migrated to the new environment - I don't lose anything (e. g. all Tags are taken over) - only the reminders I have to transfer manually, done step by step without rushing.

I wish you all the best, stay healthy and happy ☺️

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, stocky2605 said:

thanks to Apple Script the data is quickly migrated to the new environment

Good luck, and thanks for your forum contributions

Just wondering about the"Applescript" use   
I found the Evernote export useful, except metadata ended up embedded

• Like 1
  • DTLow changed the title to Departure Announcements
  • Level 5*

I merged new posts with this discussion and am posting my own departure announcement

I was a long time Evernote user and hung on with the Legacy product to see how v10 progressed

Thanks to Evernote for storing my notes over the years, and support for the final data export   
Also thanks for introducing me to the value of organization using tag methodology,    
and automation using applescript 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
On 12/29/2021 at 7:45 PM, gazumped said:

No,  it's not - check their website.  And - it's nothing to do with Evernote anyway!  B)

Filterize will shut down end of 2022 - you're no longer able to sign up for annual subscription anymore - sure, Filterizer.net has 'nothing' to do with Evernote, but it was handling tons of automation steps for me. Since EN doesn't provide anything like that right now (and I don't have any info something like this will arrive) this is just one more reason for me to leave. The new environment does provide automation (it's not a cloud service but a desktop application), so I have a replacement for that part.

Update: just saw your comment about a possible investor in a different post - OK, hope they'll continue for all the remaining 'power users' 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

This has been round for more than a year or longer since they pushed the new version of EN for iOS.  I have have many notes, several thousand in my account and it is hard to pinpoint why secrets in notes have this specific issue. Reinstall of Evernote app only temporary solves the problem and after a while the issue again happens perhaps with different notes this time.  The notes are perfectly visible on the desktop app and the web. The notes contain text and pictures, sometimes embedded PDFs.. 

Yes evernote servers are fine.  Yes I on fast and reliable wifi.

I emailed support and they suggested me to try starting with a blank new Evernote account or to try resetting my iPad or to try another device... which are all absurd suggestions to be honest. 

I am in the process of moving away from Evernote because my patience is over for long time.  I'm able to live with the old versions of Evernote metalled on my Android devices, my Macs and Windows because those to be honest work for me better than the new versions of the applications.  Unfortunately there is no way back for Evernote on iOS unless of course I use a jailbrk device which would defeat the purpose of using iOS.

I'm no longer willing t accept the fact that completely randomly I will not have access to my Evernote content on my iPad.

The issue with unavailable note is one of many on iOS... like search that doesn't fine notes, like edits that get lost....etc.... but this one is critical.

it's been a year I complained about the issues in fact same issue and still happens.  Good bye Evernote. It's been a long journey and I really liked your product.  I spent lots of money on it over the years.  Sad to leave.  

2D6FB1C3-2084-4E0E-B2BB-BCC34649EEDA.jpeg

On 1/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, QFieldBoden said:

You have the option to set PDFs to attachment, single page or full document view. OCR is pretty much flawless.

People love bitching without having the facts straight. 

https://share.getcloudapp.com/o0uZmW0b

On 12/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, DTLow said:

I merged new posts with this discussion and am posting my own departure announcement

I was a long time Evernote user and hung on with the Legacy product to see how v10 progressed

Thanks to Evernote for storing my notes over the years, and support for the final data export   
Also thanks for introducing me to the value of organization using tag methodology,    

Seriously @DTLow? Where are you heading? That's a sad day in the Evernote world.

• Like 1

I migrated from Springpad to Evernote in 2012, and I was impressed. Very rarely a service has satisfied me like it did.

I am a prose writer and I use it mainly to store short notes, ideas, quotations and some reference material such as web articles. Naturally, as more and more features were added, I also enjoyed the convenience of saving the odd file, scanned receipt and document, but have never been a heavy user. I've amassed fewer than 1400 notes all these years.

I have paid for the premium plans some specific years, not because I needed any of the paid features, mostly to support the service. And the price was reasonable. Meanwhile, EN experimented a lot and evolved to provide fantastic integration and even automation resources. I can only imagine how hard it must be to find a new system for those who've grown to rely on Import Folders and other power features.

More recently though, EN has been laying siege to non-paying users. The arbitrary limitations and the overt nagging of free users seem to show they want to make clear that sticking with the free tier is no longer a welcome choice. It's almost "demo mode" for non-subscribers. My annual subscription expired this week and I was immediately bombarded with pop-up screens, a permanent orange reminder and paid feature announcements overlapping content, such as in search results (I know these features, I've enjoyed them until 2 minutes ago, OK?).

That aggressive approach has been the needle on the camel's back for me. And before that, we had the new apps fiasco. Too much has already been said about them, I'll just stress that they're sluggish. I suspect people won't keep waiting much longer if they don't change that fundamentally.

So I had been using version 6.25 on Windows and it had been serving me fine. It is actually a great program, it feels completely native and integrated. It's smooth, it's consistent, it could launch a search with a system-wide hotkey, it would even spell-check a bunch of different languages simultaneously for Christ's sake! 

But on Android I have no choice, so I was stuck with my modest phone and a bloated, slow as molasses app. A no longer supported app on the computer, a sluggish one on my phone, and now they put a knife to my neck while I try to enjoy the free tier, which is more than enough for my needs. 

So 10 years after I've migrated again, this time to Zoho Notebook (it's a bit obscure and probably won't match the needs of most here, but apparently does the trick for me, despite the frivolous look) and I've already tried its own export tool to make sure I won't be stuck when times like these come again.

I'm nonetheless thankful to Evernote, they've provided a mostly solid service through all these years. From this experience and comments I read here, I've taken a few lessons:
  • Several users have reviewed their workflows to rely on files, folders and docs again and have reported positive experiences with their operating systems' search and tagging capabilities. Own storage and manual routines, all the more power to the user and data owner!
  • Export features are crucial to avoid dependence from a single service provider
  • Open source is not mainly about Linux or even operating systems, it's about maintaining the ability to dispose of a piece of software you've come to rely on for as long as it's convenient to you. Don't get me wrong, we can all afford Evernote, but trusting your data and workflow to a single company without equivalent competitors is uncomfortable to say the least. Joplin would be my ideal replacement, but its search doesn't quite cut it for me right now.
I've heard a few presentations about EN's new directions and learned they've build a common base for the apps in all platforms, to code once and deploy on multiple systems. It makes sense and I hope they succeed, but the currently sluggish apps, coupled with the suppression of some power features look like a very bold move. This jack of all trades app is likely to be the master of none, succeeding one that, at least on Windows, felt powerfully and beautifully native. 

Farewell and good luck to all!
  • Like 1
On 12/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, DTLow said:

Good luck, and thanks for your forum contributions

Just wondering about the"Applescript" use   
I found the Evernote export useful, except metadata ended up embedded

the new Environment (you know which one) is providing an import feature based on AppleScript, easy for me to use

• Haha 1

Farewell everyone ! It was a nice 10 year journey. I will be happy to return if EN comes back with a native app and a respectful -not luring- approach towards premium users.

👇 Below my transition experience

• Like 1
On 12/29/2021 at 7:23 PM, DTLow said:

What do you use instead of Evernote?