Features lost or downgraded?

Hello Forum,

My Evernote seems to have lost some functionality over the last week or two.  Other aspects of how Evernote behaves also seems to have changed, in ways that are not improvements in my opinion.  Specifically.

* There are a limited number of fonts available.  I particularly liked Menlo .  It no longer seems to be available.

* I use check boxes a lot for To Do lists etc.  Now when I check off an item, the text is rendered in "strike-through" font.  This is not what I want, because it makes the text harder to read.  I just want a check in the box.

I have been using Evernote for a few years, and I do believe my account is paid up. 

Thanks for any help you may have.

-- Gerhardt

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  To revert to the previous behaviour on PC or Mac,  please see: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Evernote v10 was released something over a year ago with a completely revamped app - not sure why you'd only be encountering it now,  but you may wish to check that you have the latest version - it was a little basic to begin with,  but has been adding more features over these past few months rather than losing them.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Checklists and Check boxes are a much debated thing. The new list approach was introduced because, apparently, users had been requesting something of this type.

Thankfully boxes continue to be available. The option exists in the Insert menu (the blue button at the top of the note.  Check boxes that not at the beginning of a line will stick.  If you are typing a list and want each item to start with a check box then type the list first, highlight the items, insert check box.  Each item will have a check box rather than a checklist.

The font issue isn't going to change. It seems a decision has been made to limit the fonts offered so that notes look similar on every platform.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it seems no way to use a short cut to add the checkbox, any idea?

Either check list or check box, I don't like the strikethrough thing. If people like to strikethrough it is OK, but why we cannot keep the text without cross out after we marked something done?! Same thing to the task items, I want to mark the task done, but don't want to cross it out. EN new version is currently force the user to adapt a habit, that is not good.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, gy145 said:

Now it seems no way to use a short cut to add the checkbox, any idea?

On 12/28/2021 at 9:25 PM, agsteele said:

If you are typing a list and want each item to start with a check box then type the list first, highlight the items, insert check box.  Each item will have a check box rather than a checklist.

For what sort of alternative scenarios would you require a shortcut?

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

For what sort of alternative scenarios would you require a shortcut?

Scenarios:

1. for all the cases where check list can be used and need a shortcut. I just don't want the check list to strikethrough my text when marked as done but do like the checklist. Then if EN cannot remove the strikethrough for me, it should give me a way to quickly type in check box.

2. When I need to work on a list of items using checkbox, I need to edit everything including indent between items, remove a item, add new ones. You can not currently do this simply with inserting check box for all items. For example:

here is a list

• A
  • B
    • C
    • D
      • E

I want to add check box on all the items and keep editing them, say delete a item, add new ones, indent. It is possible to achieve using a shortcut of check box. But not easy  right now without shortcut. Each time you remove a line or pass enter, EN will change all the checkbox into checklist.  The select all and insert checkbox won't work well when you want to change items. Add each checkbox using mouse is time consuming.

• Level 5

The forum is user2user. EN may or may not review it, but I would assume they don't.

To bring your ideas to the attention of EN for sure, you can use the feedback function in the clients.

My personal view: EN has developed the new editor as the core function of the new clients. It is the same in all clients, unified in features and user interface. They made conscious decisions what to include, and what to drop. I do not expect they will make significant additions to the current editor in the next time.

If you need the editing features you describe, use a word processor and attach the file to the note.

• Like 1

@gy145Have you tried using the "autoformatting" option of [] (<open square bracket> <close square bracket>)? Provided it is not at the beginning of a line it will always insert a checkbox (or a checked checkbox if you type [x]). If you want a checkbox at the beginning of a line you will still need to put another character (e.g. a period) before the checkbox. The key point is that you do not need to use the mouse.

It would be nice if the existing keyboard shortcut for a checklist was context sensitive and added a checkbox if the cursur was not at the begining of a line.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gy145 said:

@Mike P That is the problem: the method you provide no longer works in my EN which is the latest version.

Still works for me.

10.28.3-win-ddl-public (3151)
Editor: v138.1.17456
Service: v1.45.0
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Still works for me.

10.28.3-win-ddl-public (3151)
Editor: v138.1.17456
Service: v1.45.0
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I note that my work version of EN still has check boxes but not my home version.

To me one of the main problems with these version differences, and sudden changes with upgrades, is conceptual: it belies the product name "EverNote" ; It seems "Ever" is certainly not forever, or even for "as long as you maintain the subscription".  

In the end I did not try the work-around for check boxes of reverting versions.  Instead I use my own construct "()" for an empty box and "(*)" for the checked box.  It's basically (very similar) to what I have been doing for awhile before I had EN. 

I also still miss using Menlo as my preferred font.

• Like 1