CalDAV support

jianfry

Idea

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5

EN mentioned next on their agenda is Outlook integration.

Note that all integrations are with cloud services. CalDAV is often used to connect to local servers. I do not expect EN to integrate with local servers at all. As a cloud service, integration with sources on a local network can only cause trouble.

• Level 5

Synology Calendar (I run 2 of these systems myself) is a local server installation - as I mentioned above, I doubt EN will go down the rabbit hole to try syncing with local resources. It would be a prescription for disaster, producing syncing conflicts.

Personally I think they will stick with the "standard" cloud services, as O365 (Outlook) and maybe iCal after that.

• Evernote Expert

Google was an easy win to start with. The next on the list seems to be Outlook from what I hear. I would imagine that Apple calendar will get a highish priority too.

I don't see CalDav getting attention but it is possible I suppose. I think the more likely route would be to share a CalDav calendar with a Google/Outlook/Apple account and connect that to Evernote. Given that the calendar connection to Evernote is one way, read-only, that's probably good enough at the moment.

15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Synology Calendar (I run 2 of these systems myself) is a local server installation - as I mentioned above, I doubt EN will go down the rabbit hole to try syncing with local resources.

Ok but it is the same as with Google, you have to login to server. And if server is not reachable EN have to handle this no matter if you are using Google, Outlook, CalDAV.

15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It would be a prescription for disaster, producing syncing conflicts.

It depends how it will be implemented. But lots of clients support CalDAV standard and have no problem with conflicts so this should not be the problem.

• Level 5

It makes a difference if a Google server is down for a little, and comes back.

Or users running their "own" calendar installation on a server in their basement, asking EN support to sort out how they can link it up to the EN server.

I am in a Synology forum as well - you would not believe the weird ideas that are floated about external access to self hosted data and services. If I were EN, I would not touch this segment of the market.

Anybody can link his calendar to a Google calendar, and sync through it. When EN adds O365 and iCal, I think they pretty much cover the main sources, without a need to deliver your personal data to Google.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It makes a difference if a Google server is down for a little, and comes back.

Google, Microsofts etc. servers could be down for a while (minutes, hours, days) it does not matter EN has to handle this.

Or users running their "own" calendar installation on a server in their basement, asking EN support to sort out how they can link it up to the EN server.

No I am not asking to support my own server. I am asking for supporting internet standard allowing a client to access scheduling information on a remote server. Fastmail, Yahoo calendar (based on wiki I have no personal experience), NextCloud (yes could be selfhosted) are using CalDAV.

Anybody can link his calendar to a Google calendar, and sync through it. When EN adds O365 and iCal, I think they pretty much cover the main sources

Agree it will cover the vast majority of users.

But for me it would be nice to see that EN implements common internet standard, not only proprietary solutions of big companies. But I understand. Why they should allocate resources to feature nobody will be using it. :) 

On 12/26/2021 at 11:12 AM, jianfry said:

Hello,

it would be nice if you add CalDAV to connect to a calendar, not only Google Calendar.

Thanks.

Totaly agree! I'm working with Nextcloud and integration with it's agenda would be great. Even greater would be if the tasks could be integrated with Nextcloud Deck, it's Kaplan board option.

• Level 5

When looking at the development of the last years, we may see some more integrations with major (this means a few) cloud services.

For calendar we know Outlook will be next, but without any date, and although requested by users, there is no announcement about iCal.

From what I see, forget anything about open standards or self hosted (be it at home or on a rented server) solutions. This won’t happen.

If it is important for your use of EN, avoid waiting for a bus that will never come. Search and pick a different solution that supports what you need.

One solution is to sync whatever calendar with Google Calendar and pick it up in Evernote. This is what I do as I use Zoho Calendar.

For self hosted calendars I think waiting for an API update is probably the best thing. Hopefully his will happen at some point so more niche services can create their own integrations.