Web Capture: Links in the article are rewritten to another URL

bborghi

Idea

MacOs Monterey 12.0.1, Brave or Google Chrome, Evernote Web Clipper Version: 7.17.0.273-302f6e1

When clipping an article, the links in the article are rewritten, so that the original URL of tyhje link is replaced by the URL of the article.

For example, the post https://dariusforoux.medium.com/a-simple-technique-for-inner-peace-b5ed99284fcb

The line He has a series of lectures on the Waking Up app, based on his meditation retreats. has a link (Waking Up). In the article, the reference URL is https://wakingup.com/ when in the clipped note in evernote, the reference URL has been transformed to https://dariusforoux.medium.com/a-simple-technique-for-inner-peace-b5ed99284fcb

That means that every link in evry page i clip with Evernote Web Clipper is not the original link. Clipping web pages with Evernote web clipper is mostly useless in these conditions.

Please fix this quick !

• Sad 1

4 replies to this idea

Most problems of this type are related to (not necessarily caused by) a certain behavior of the EN Web Clipper: In most modes, the clipper creates EN notes whose content is populated by a query from the EN server (or from a browser sandbox?) not from your actual browser with all your cookies and other identifying information. That is a great feature, and it has saved me some headaches over the years, and causes a few; on balance, saved > caused.

That feature interacts in a negative way with how medium.com renders URLs such that they can track if you click on them while making it appear in your browser's UI that they are plain old, unadored (?) unadorned links, nothing to see here, etc. The clipper is probably ignoring the JavaScript that medium.com provides to "adorn" the links. Which is good, because that JavaScript is an added attack service (heh) surface that web sites could potentially exploit...but it does cause undesired side-effects.

There was a time when support would try and fix this for you, especially for a popular web site such as medium.com. I wonder if they still do that...

Edited by John in Michigan USA
typos, freudian sub-type
1 hour ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Most problems of this type are related to (not necessarily caused by) a certain behavior of the EN Web Clipper: In most modes, the clipper creates EN notes whose content is populated by a query from the EN server (or from a browser sandbox?) not from your actual browser with all your cookies and other identifying information. That is a great feature, and it has saved me some headaches over the years, and causes a few; on balance, saved > caused.

There is another post about this topic here

After a bit of a false start you will see my response showing that sites that clipped sucesfully in October (eg the BBC) no longer work. I had also thought that this was  a medium.com problem but it seems to be far more general.

• Thanks 1