Synchronisation very inneficient in the Android EN10 app

Hello,

I find synchronization of EN10 on Android rather inefficient comparing to how it had worked before.

When visiting some authorities today, I needed to produce a document I had previously stored as a PDF attachment in EN. To my embarrassment, I was unable to do so, because my Android EN was continuously showing an error "Unable to download the document at this time". I have tried several times, but I was not successful. When I checked again an hour later (I was already somewhere else) the document was there! Presumably the Android app was downloading all the changes since I opened it previously and this particular note was at the end of some sync queue.

I have noticed several times that if I open EN in my phone after some time it takes really long to sync all the changes since the EN has been previously opened. It is often possible to watch the notes being created/updated/moved. I usually don't care, but today I really needed to share the PDF document quickly.

Some points:

• I understand that if the document is not cached it will not appear immediately. It may take couple of seconds to download a 300k PDF file, maybe even a minute if I am inside some concrete building and the signal is weak. But we are talking about like 10 minutes at least in this case.
  • This particular note with the PDF has been created on a PC a long time ago and I have never accessed it previously from my mobile.
  • I also acknowledge that EN was busy syncing all the changes, I can accept that sync can be slower because of some new features. Nevertheless, the app should prioritize those notes I am working with.

I guess there is no quick solution to this. But if my feedback helps to prioritize this issue, it will be great. I had never seen this behavior in the previous versions of EN. The efficiency of sync used to be a very strong feature according to my experience.

Regards,

Viktor

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2021 at 10:25 PM, ViktorN said:

... I have noticed several times that if I open EN in my phone after some time it takes really long to sync all the changes since the EN has been previously opened. It is often possible to watch the notes being created/updated/moved. I usually don't care, but today I really needed to share the PDF document quickly.

I am facing the same problem. I can not rely on having access to import information when I need it. Two times, I got into serious trouble because of this reason. 

• Like 2

I'm having the same issue. Had to bring up some documents that were saved and synced (so I thought) before I left home, but when I got to the embassy it took at least 10 minutes to try to get what I needed. The agent wasn't impressed, so yeah, I was embarrassed. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RayneS said:

I'm having the same issue. Had to bring up some documents that were saved and synced (so I thought) before I left home, but when I got to the embassy it took at least 10 minutes to try to get what I needed. The agent wasn't impressed, so yeah, I was embarrassed. 

Is the notebook on mobile set for offline use? I've found spotty web connections sometimes cause the green wheel to spin.

I travel by train in the UK a lot so rubbish phone connection all the time... got a few notebooks set for offline use.

Also found flipping to flight mode on the phone speeds up offline notebook access as it doesn't try online first. 

My solution is to stop depending on Evernote as a functioning app on my phone.   It's more like an option these days if I must, but anything I need guaranteed access to, that I put in Google Keep or Email, or Drive which all function fine.  

I have a vague understanding that EN's recent global programming choices were optimized for the corporate side of things (easily changed, looks good, long feature lists) at the cost of speed and functionality. 

• Like 1

The bottom line is that the new Android app v10 has been a horribly slow resource hog from day 1 and EN will not acknowledge it so it is doubtful they intend of fixing it any time soon. The solution to stop depending on it is a good one but it sucks because I am heavily invested. Iv been waiting for a long time now with no improvements so it's time to cancel the paid subscription and find an alternative.

• Like 1
On 12/8/2021 at 10:25 PM, ViktorN said:

I guess there is no quick solution to this

You are right, my first post so support regarding bad sync is from November, they told me that they will look at it.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:18 PM, Jon/t said:

Is the notebook on mobile set for offline use? I've found spotty web connections sometimes cause the green wheel to spin.

I travel by train in the UK a lot so rubbish phone connection all the time... got a few notebooks set for offline use.

Also found flipping to flight mode on the phone speeds up offline notebook access as it doesn't try online first. 

Yeah, it was. My other apps opened quickly, but for some reason Evernote was lagging.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I suppose Evernote is just resource hungry. I finally replaced my old phone, and it is running fine on the new one... I had many performance issues on the Moto G Power since the new major version release of Evernote. I had reinstalled the app a couple times but it still performed SLOW and buggy. Now on the S23 Ultra with 8GB RAM and a Snapdragon 8 Octa-core processor, Evernote runs as fast as it did before the v10 upgrade on the Moto G Power. The G Power is of course a less expensive phone, but in my opinion EN should be designed to run well on a phone like the Moto G Power. Evernote was the only APP of many with performance issues on the phone... Not everyone can (or wants) to afford a $1,000 +/- phone... I love EN, but I wish they would post a minimum hardware spec for running it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I tend to agree, esp. about posting the hardware specs for acceptable performance. I recently upgraded from an older Android 9 phone, which of course couldn't even run v. 10, to an S22 Ultra. (And then the following week the S23 was released. 😠 Did Verizon discount the S22 for me because it was about to become old inventory? They did not. 😡🤬) Ahem. Anyway, Evernote 10 runs fine on the S22, though I've had occasional brief delays in syncing a note, and duplications once or twice, which I assume is all network related. But it was really expensive, and Evernote shouldn't demand that all its users own such devices for it to work well.

• Like 1