Option to Single Left-Click Tray Icon to Open Program Instead of Quick Note

muzicman82

Idea

17 replies to this idea

On 12/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, Mike P said:

I personally can't see EN allowing a single left click on the elephant icon to do anything other than opening a quick note - otherwise, they might argue, it wouldn't be a quick note.

If it's an option, people can change from the settings, what would be the issue?
The default behavior could still be quicknote, but people who want it to open the main program, would at least have the option to change it.

The thing is, the behavior in the past was that it would open the main program with a left click. This changed when they introduced QuickNote, which is fine and understandable. But if you were used to the old version, having the quick note pop up instead of the main program is quite annoying.

So I don't see a good reason against making this an option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Regardless of the logic there are some practical considerations...

• How much would it cost to add a preference option;  recode the tray icon to include & activate it;  then quality check the update and release it to all users?? 
    I'm guessing "lots".
  • How many votes / how much support does this request have?  This thread has 1 vote so far...
  • Will it improve retention?  Not noticeably
  • Help gain new business?  Not likely...
  • Likelihood of the overall change helping improve cashflow?  Negligable...
  • Like 1

Clicking on the Sytem Tray icon should open up Evernote as it did previously. Totally dumb decision to change this beahviour or not give the user to choose which they prefer. I'll soon be porting my notes to another program even though I've been a paying member since 2010!

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Don't know if the trick/work-around still works in v10,  but if you export a single new note to ENEX and keep that file on your desktop..  does clicking that file open it as a new note?

Not sure, but I also don't want to have to go to my desktop to open since I generally have a dozen programs running. Also don't really want the program to open to a new note either.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, muzicman82 said:

Not sure, but I also don't want to have to go to my desktop to open since I generally have a dozen programs running. Also don't really want the program to open to a new note either.

Sorry - thought you were talking about creating a new note.  If you want to open an existing note, how about saving a note link to the desktop instead?  If you work on several different notes,  create a Table of Contents note and save a shortcut to that...

4 hours ago, muzicman82 said:

I don't use the Quick Note. Instinct with any program in the tray is to just left click to open it. It's currently 2 clicks whether I open from the Quick Note panel or right click to open. Please make this an option. 

Personally I never close EN only minimise it. If the elephant icon is in the task bar it still using just as much resource as if it was simply minimised so you are not saving anything. So for me @agsteelesolution is best.

Having said that, it is slightly odd that there is not a global keyboard shortcut to open EN. A sort of partial work around is to use Win+shift+F to open EN with the focus in the search bar. It will remember the last view. The last view will influence how you get out of the search (if you need to). If it was just a notebook hitting tab should be fine. If it was search results alt+ctrl+2 is a good bet. 

I personally can't see EN allowing a single left click on the elephant icon to do anything other than opening a quick note - otherwise, they might argue, it wouldn't be a quick note.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, RagingRaven said:

So I don't see a good reason against making this an option.

The problem is that EN seem very resistant to have any options for anything. Whether this is just for now or a long term strategy is anybody's guess. Therefore, in practice, you will probably need to live with it for the forseeable future or go elsewhere. In the past (may even have been at the beta stage) somebody (not an EN employee) asked for suggestions for the different options people would like - it ended up a long list! 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

If being able to left click on the tray icon is what you feel you are paying for then, for sure, you should move on. But perhaps you have been paying for the core functions.

I simply have a shortcut to Evernote on the Windows taskbar which launches Evernote. A change in muscle memory which was quickly achieved to open from the new shortcut.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I keep trying to like v 10 over Legacy, but every time I start if I run into this nonsense of the tray icon wanting to create a new note. What I want to do is access my notes, not create a new one. The primary purpose of Evernote used to be just that. It's easy enough to create a new note if I want one, once I'm in the main program. But now it's two clicks to get there just to open it.

IIRC the old Evernote had a global hotkey for creating a new note.

• Evernote Expert
18 hours ago, Brother Tobias said:

I keep trying to like v 10 over Legacy, but every time I start if I run into this nonsense of the tray icon wanting to create a new note. What I want to do is access my notes, not create a new one. The primary purpose of Evernote used to be just that. It's easy enough to create a new note if I want one, once I'm in the main program. But now it's two clicks to get there just to open it.

Create a shortcut on the desktop or taskbar. When you double click Evernote will open at the point where you last left it or in the Home screen if that is the preference you've selected.

• Like 1

Hi, I have been using Evernote for 10 years and it is getting worse and worse with each upgrade. This is another example. I have reinstalled my laptop and my Windows app was upgraded. I hate it! Evernotes hires the worst UX engineer in space. 

A week ago I had Evenote running in the Windows system tray where it did not occupy any precious space of the task bar. I could click it and open the app quickly. Now some genius introduced f*ing quick notes and I cannot get rid off them. I want to open the app as I used to do for years. Proposal of putting EN on the task bar is silly. I do not want it there. I want the previous behaviour.

The only reason I have not left to Notion is that their Evenote import sucks. I am Evernote hostage.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Leos Literak said:

I hate it! Evernotes hires the worst UX engineer in space. 

Er,  hi - we're mainly just users floating around up here,  but if you read the previous entries in this thread there are several suggestions for one-click activation.

...Or you could go back to the older version - Install an older version of Evernote – Evernote Help & Learning

• Like 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Er,  hi - we're mainly just users floating around up here,  but if you read the previous entries in this thread there are several suggestions for one-click activation.

But of course none of those is exactly the way it was before, which is obviously the only possible right way of doing things, since nobody in their right mind ever wanted to make a note quickly with a single click, right? Or ... maybe ... there are different ways of achieving the same purpose, and people can accommodate themselves slightly to the needs of others. Or maybe not.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Leos Literak said:

I have been using Evernote for 10 years and it is getting worse and worse with each upgrade. This is another example. I have reinstalled my laptop and my Windows app was upgraded. I hate it! Evernotes hires the worst UX engineer in space. 

That's just all your opinion, of course, which is not one I share.

5 hours ago, Leos Literak said:

I am Evernote hostage.

A self-imposed prison.

• Like 1