Question about features of Evernote web?

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I have had a free Evernote account for a few years.  I just got a new laptop and when I came to log in, it told me that due to the new account types, I have to unsync two devices to use the free account.  When I looked at the list to choose what to unsync I see 

iphone
iPad
Mac
Evernote web

I searched and while I fine a list of features of Evernote Web, I cannot find a comparison between Evernote web and the Mac or the iPad.  I want to learn what the limitations are to choose to keep Evernote Web and my iPhone and un sync iPad and Mac.   If I choose web, can I just access that from either the iPad or the Mac to see all the same notes?  Can I have as many notes on Evernote Web as I can if I keep Mac?   

Thank you for any guidance you can give me.

Michelle

• Level 5*

Hi.  Your free account is limited to access through two devices only.  Evernote features are broadly similar whatever device you are using.  The web client is slightly more restricting since you're getting Evernote services via a third-party browser.  Installed apps tend to be a little faster and more flexible.  The web is available on any desktop device that can run a browser,  plus most tablets.  Mobiles however have their own installable apps.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Goldogmom said:

to see all the same notes?

Your account has a single set of notes with the master maintained on the Evernote servers   
The same notes are accessed from any device

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Your free account is limited to access through two devices only.  Evernote features are broadly similar whatever device you are using.  The web client is slightly more restricting since you're getting Evernote services via a third-party browser.  Installed apps tend to be a little faster and more flexible.  The web is available on any desktop device that can run a browser,  plus most tablets.  Mobiles however have their own installable apps.

Thanks for this. So is it accurate that if I choose Evernote web, it counts as one of my devices?  Or can I choose ipad and MacBook Pro and still have access via Evernote web for those times when I don’t have.the iPad or Mackbook with me?

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

The web client counts as a device. 1-2- over …

If you can buy an iPad and a MacBook Pro, and now have nothing to spare for a subscription, you may have invested too much into metal, and not enough into making it work intelligently …

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The web client counts as a device. 1-2- over …

If you can buy an iPad and a MacBook Pro, and now have nothing to spare for a subscription, you may have invested too much into metal, and not enough into making it work intelligently …

Thank you for this link, it is very helpful and I've bookmarked it for future reference.

From my perspective, it isn't quite as simple as metal vs buy a subscription to Evernote.  I've owned my iPad since early 2016 and the MBP since 2017 so these are not recent purchases.  I have had evernote for quite awhile as well and have had a hard time sorting out if it helps me manage my world or not.  For most of us, the various productivity programs have to connect with the way our brain works as well as the amount of tracking, sorting and storing of information we need/want to do.  For whatever reason, I've not gotten a good grasp of how to best use Evernote for my needs so investing in $100 a year has caused me concern.  So I'll look again for more tutorials on how I might best benefit from a subscription to Evernote .

Thank you again for responding to my query.

• Level 5

The web client will work independently from a physical device. However it is build to work with desktop browsers - it usually won’t open on mobile devices. Since iPadOS the Safari browser will run in desktop mode.

The main difference between desktop and mobile clients is that on mobile you can only work on one note at a time. Desktop and web clients work on multiple notes at a time.

When on Free the combination of web client and mobile client on a phone can offer the largest flexibility. An alternative would be one (Mac) desktop client for the heavy lifting plus the mobile client on the phone for EN on the fly.

• Thanks 1