One-click creation of "table of contents note"

gozzilla78

Idea

7 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

This has been well rehearsed since the launch of v10.

There's no sign of it returning but the workaround is to highlight the notes you want to add to a ToC. In Windows the relevant shortcut is Alt+Ctrl+L to copy to the clipboard. Start a new note and type Ctrl+V to paste the ToC into a new note.

Not as nifty as the Legacy application but it works well enough.

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

the multi-select + one-click creation of the table of contents, is missing from the new versions.

I'm going to be a bit contentious here and suggest that the new behaviour is not really a work around but a massive upgrade to the old behaviour. My two main reasons:

• If you paste the ToC into a numbered list you can then drag items around within the list. They will automatically renumber. You can now have have a super flexible ToC which can be changed as your needs change.
  • Secondly, if you want to add further notes to the ToC you can just simply paste them into the existing list and even reorder as before if you want to.

To my mind  theToC has been transformed from a static housekeeping exercise to a dynamic, useful organisation tool!

None of this precludes the addition of a simple creation process as well but expereince suggests that this is unlikely to happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Mike P said:

I'm going to be a bit contentious here and suggest that the new behaviour is not really a work around but a massive upgrade to the old behaviour. My two main reasons:

• If you paste the ToC into a numbered list you can then drag items around within the list. They will automatically renumber. You can now have have a super flexible ToC which can be changed as your needs change.
  • Secondly, if you want to add further notes to the ToC you can just simply paste them into the existing list and even reorder as before if you want to.

Thanks Mike P for this post. I wasn't sure I believed you, but I verified it on Evernote Windows App v10.25.6.

First, the use of a numbered list is brilliant for the reasons you mention.

Second, I had not realized that copy/paste would LINK the ToC note content back to the original notes: Select multiple notes / right-click within the selection / choose 'Copy internal links' ... 'Copy app links'. Then go to the ToC note and simply paste, getting LINKS rather than simple text.

P.S. Credit agsteele for pointing out that 'Copy app links' has the Windows shortcut Alt+Ctrl+L also.

I thought copy/paste was just going to produce text, a massive downgrade from the old 'Create ToC' function. But you showed me it can be an upgrade. : -) Thank you.

• Like 2

AND where is EN "How To" for this technique and way(s) to find/surface this concept beyond blundering into this thread? I've run across TOC topics several other place over the past months and yet here is an answer that could help. Yet how do they find it?

I was looking for help on why the table row insert stopped working with my upgrade to 10.27.5-win-ddl-public (3122); Editor: v137.1.17455; Service: v1.44.3. My searches found nada for my insert row issue. I'd started using a Table and App Links to organize notes for a Notebook ie TOC when I found this thread.

For a content organization App's product support not to provide better ways to solve issues seems wrong. 

YET another helpful suggestion 

On 12/10/2021 at 9:22 PM, r. m said:

And another idea

The Cobbler's Children Have No Shoes
"Another way to group the parts together would be by adding a tag to all of them, and use a saved search to call them quickly."  can't be directly linked in this post --- https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/121581-links-within-notes/page/5 ---

That is a terrific thread linked by "r. m" - full of ideas, options, debate, some frustration, give, and take. Maybe it wanders off topic from some perspective, but I read it as circling the general topics of Evernote tips, tricks, and productive usage.