Integrate tasks with task managers

jvankempen

Idea

21 replies to this idea

Agree completely here @jvankempen.  The updates to Evernote recently have been great overall for me personally, but the only thing its missing is integration with task managers.  I came to this forum for the same reason: to see if there was an API for the new Tasks feature.  Disappointed to see it doesn't exist.

@RobertJLee I use RTM and its integration is for "Reminders" _not_ the new Tasks.  Since there's no API for this (yet?), there can't be an integration with anything.

• Like 4

Same need.

I have todoist to handle my tasks

I have Evernote to handle my notes

When I am creating task in Evernote, I want them to be created in Todoist as well.

• Like 2

Count me in for this as well -- would be great to add to the API for Zapier. Reminders are there, and yes, it works well, but that is to remind related to the note, not a true task. I know the task feature is great and glad it is finally here, especially with the calendar integration for adding action items/ tasks in the meeting notes. But I need to route them to the task manager and can not currently without adding them to the API. 

• Like 2

Voted this up as well. As Evernote is running an interesting additional approach to add tasks to rich notes, opening up the API would be very nice to enhance real task management with rich note taking of Evernote. Would highly appreciate it.

• Like 2

Yes, I recently signed up for a paid professional plan again with this new feature after being away for years, but was rather disappointed to find this missing from the API. 

A Tasks API is really important to me (and my renewal).

Thank you Evernote team for reading and considering.

• Like 2

I would absolutely love if the new Tasks were part of the API and therefore available to automation solutions like Zapier. It would really help my workflow between Evernote and my project management system. (in my case ClickUp, but the API would make it available to any task manager)

I like the Tasks in Evernote, but I kinda feel like I'm doing double work using them, because I still need to add them to the project management software. Please, please consider this one! Seems like a logical next step to the new task feature.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nik2165 said:

I would absolutely love if the new Tasks were part of the API and therefore available to automation solutions like Zapier. It would really help my workflow between Evernote and my project management system. (in my case ClickUp, but the API would make it available to any task manager)

I like the Tasks in Evernote, but I kinda feel like I'm doing double work using them, because I still need to add them to the project management software. Please, please consider this one! Seems like a logical next step to the new task feature.

Same. I read somewhere (can't find it) that they're working on email tasks into the system like you can do with notes.

Waiting for this together with recurring tasks as my CRM, invoice & project management software all create tasks for me automatically in Todoist.

• Like 1

I echo Patricius and Pink Elephant's comments above.

I subscribe to Pleexy to coordinate my tasks and notes because we're a MS campus and I don't love MS notes functions. Pleexy makes it possible for me to sync MS To Do with my Evernote. I have used Evernote for years and really love it - and would like to keep using it. As technology progresses, it's logical to have Evernote tasks sync with other systems. Otherwise, other options for task management start looking better, and Evernote will be left behind. Having tasks included in the API would keep Evernote as my tool of choice for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/1/2021 at 5:46 AM, jvankempen said:

instead of them staying locked up in the minimal internal task manager

I added my vote   
I don't use a task manager service; I just want the data to be available    
I use a spreadsheet for a Gantt view of my sorted task list

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Rob Bernabé said:

bertJLee I use RTM and its integration is for "Reminders" _not_ the new Tasks.  Since there's no API for this (yet?), there can't be an integration with anything.

Correct - and they become "tasks" in RTM which may be edited from within RTM to some degree.

Came here looking for this. Sad that it doesn't exist. Even if it's just bare bones sync tasks back and forth and all you get is either completed or not completed syncing, just SOMETHING. Also the calendar thing in evernote is super cool but I find it to be buggy in that sometimes it doesn't show all my events on the first load. 

I like PinkElephant's approach a lot:

There is no need to build a complex integration through the API. Most task managers can store and open links pointing to a web resource. ... Create a link to a note, copy it and paste it into the task in your task manager. Ready, Done, Integrated.

Say I'm noodling in an EN note about how to have an efficient task app like Todoist NOT gain its own conceptual, textual weight which distracts from or competes with Evernote, but joins Evernote's substance and weight to itself. Nimbleness and focused weightiness. The excitement of EN tasks feature is that its tasks are able to be rooted in a context of thought and problem-solving coming to us in-house. But EN cannot be as nimble as TD and can't give us recurring tasks, etc. The solution, which many of us have already resorted to, is to integrate. I copy the web link from the EN note I'm working in, and I type a Todoist task like this (TD puts the descriptive text into square brackets and the URL into parentheses):

["Work on integrating EN notes with important actionable implications into TD tasks that can pop right back into EN to continue the inquiry]( ... EN note URL ...)

The result is a Todoist with real weight coming from the heartland of our inquiry in EN, and an EN with a real nimbleness borrowed from Todoist. Maybe the best of both worlds will have to come from integration rather than bending singular apps out of their proper shape.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Just tried it again today: You can play with the link types you paste into the todo manager (I am using Things 3, Apple ecosystem only).

When inserting an applink, the embedded note opens in the app. With a weblink, EN opens the note in a browser.

On iOS there is a bug that causes Safari (and other browsers) to crash when the web client is used. So if you use this trick on iOS devices, it currently is better to put applinks into the external  Task Manager.

I must admit the lack of the API for the new tasks in Evernote is holding me back from using the tasks functionality.

My main tasks list is in Todoist which is connected to my other online services via Pleexy for automaton. Having tasks exist in Evernote as an island is not an option so I'm not using that functionality at the moment. But I can see when new Evernote tasks would be useful, if only those tasks could also be replicated so I don't lose track of them in my main task manager.

Providing API access for tasks automation would be a smart move by Evernote to retain users. Here's hoping.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I imagine that the API will get attention at some point in the future but there is no promise and I don't see that being high on the agenda.

Pleexy has a great integration to turn Evernote’s checkboxes into tasks in Todoist, with a great two-way sync. Evernote - please make it possible for programs like Pleexy to integrate with their programs with your new Tasks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • All users = 100%
  • Users who use tasks somehow = 50%*                    (*) unfounded example values
  • Users who use Tasks seriously = 20%*
  • Users who want extended Tasks functions = 5%*
  • Users who want to use the API to work out their own Tasks functions = 1%*
  • Users who will use the API, Pleexy and Todoist to this end = 0,01%*

Pick the position on the backlog for your request !

Very narrow demands are very unlikely to be realized. We have some quite general feature requests pending since long. I would not expect to see anything like this in the next years - just my 5ct, however.

Contact to EN PM can be made through the feedback function build into the clients.