PDFs say "Couldn't display this PDF file" on my work computer only

On my work computer, most of my PDFs say "Couldn't display this PDF file." If I try to open it, it corrupts the file. The attachments are fine on Evernote web, and on my other computers, using both Evernote 6 and Evernote 10. But just on my work computer.

I wonder if it may have something to do with where the files are stored. Maybe I don't have complete access rights? With Evernote 6, I'd sometimes get error messages that it couldn't find the attachment, until I clicked it a few times. However, here, it's a real problem where I cannot access the attachment unless I download it first (if I try to open it first, then it is corrupted).

• Level 5

If you save it outside of EN, does it open normally ?

What happens when you open EN on the work computer in the web client ?

From what you describe, it may well be that security software or restrictions set by IT does not allow the PDFs to be opened by an unknown app.

If I save it from Evernote Windows onto my work computer, it does not open. It says it is corrupted.

However, if I save it from Evernote Web, it opens fine. 

From a security perspective, it seems the latter would be riskier, but they allow it, whereas the former wouldn't be. It almost seems like Evernote for Windows is corrupting the file. But how? 

• Level 5

I doubt that EN itself is corrupting files. But since it is an installed app with a local database, it can be targeted by security or access restrictions.

EN running in the browser is only caching data, which is harder to control.

Just my 5ct …

PS Since EN leaves data on your drive, it is recommended to only use the web client on work devices.

Not just PDFs. I can't even open JPGs.

The reason I keep the Windows version on my work computer is it is just easier and quicker to search, and also, Send a Copy by E-mail if I need to send an article to someone that I just clipped (which doesn't exist on the Web version).

I think I will drop back down to the 6.25 version on my work computer. On my home computer, I have both versions because there are aspects of both that I like.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It all sounds like there is an interference with something specific to your work computer. I doubt we can find it by remote analysis.

The reason I think it is Evernote is because it is not such a big problem with Evernote 6.

I'm back home now, and it's random as to which notes it affects and which it doesn't. My wife scanned 3 pieces of artwork that our kids did today. One of them says unreadable, the other 2 I can read. I scanned my kids tests before signing them today, they look good. 

Anyhows, I was successfully able to install Evernote 6 on my work computer, so I will proceed to uninstall Evernote 10.

Aaah, but here's the other problem. Every attachment I attempted to open on my work computer is now corrupted on EVERY computer. So I need to restore them from Note History.

• Evernote Expert

@notetakeingguy I've not seen any indication of this issue arising with any other user so I think we have to conclude that the issue arises in the combination of your Work PC and the associated software(s). Evernote 10 could be part of the problem or just an innocent bystander.

I wish you well in the diagnostic process and you may well be right that, in the short-term switching to the Legacy application could give you a pathway.

The normal route for this type of issue is the complete removal of v10 including the data and program directories. Then reinstall from scratch and allow Evernote 10 to rebuild the data structure. Have you tried that?

Uninstalling using the default Windows uninstaller isn't always effective so be sure to check that %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote are both deleted before reinistalling. Others swear by Revo Uninstaller which I find effective too.

• Like 1

Tech Support replied to me today that they have been able to duplicate the issue, but are still trying to find the cause. They are not sure if it is network or not.

This is good for Evernote to know because it affects if people can use it at work or not. If it requires Evernote be granted permissions through a Firewall, then Evernote knows they have to improve their reputation a bit (stop releasing buggy software).

57 minutes ago, notetakeingguy said:

Tech Support replied to me today that they have been able to duplicate the issue, but are still trying to find the cause. They are not sure if it is network or not.

This is good for Evernote to know because it affects if people can use it at work or not. If it requires Evernote be granted permissions through a Firewall, then Evernote knows they have to improve their reputation a bit (stop releasing buggy software).

Glad to hear you are getting them to duplicate the issue.  I went nowhere with my attempt to get support (and I am a Premium user).  I hope you get an answer we can both use.  I'm starting to explore alternatives.  I have already started using Apple Notes for a lot of stuff, and I'm looking into Notion and OneNote.

Frankly, if Evernote was working properly, it would still be my tool of choice.

22 hours ago, mhw23 said:

Glad to hear you are getting them to duplicate the issue.  I went nowhere with my attempt to get support (and I am a Premium user).  I hope you get an answer we can both use.  I'm starting to explore alternatives.  I have already started using Apple Notes for a lot of stuff, and I'm looking into Notion and OneNote.

Frankly, if Evernote was working properly, it would still be my tool of choice.

Yes, it very much bothers me that Evernote does not work properly. On that work computer, I have dropped back to Evernote 6, which I mostly like better. The only thing I liked better on Evernote 10 was that they had fixed the problem of pasting bulleted text, until that problem came back, and you don't have to type "tag:" to search for a tag.

I work in the field of software that is used with medical devices and healthcare. You can't have software like this where you release it and it may or may not work, not when it is used for people's health and safety. Also, see this article on Harvard Business Review and see if you can relate: https://hbr.org/2021/11/4-common-ways-companies-alienate-people-with-disabilities?utm_source=pocket_mylist

• Level 5

If a firewall is blocking something, it is done by design, the admin or supplier of its blocking database. Your comment of EN being faulty is plain nonsense. If you are in software yourself, you should know better.

There are especially in companies firewalls that don’t work by a blacklist (known offenders locked out), but by a whitelist. Then every app that wants to run on that network or device and connect to the internet needs to be preallowed. No permit, no use.

Bad for ransomware (hopefully), and it stops the use of private software on company resources as well.

Which it seems in your case has worked pretty well, seen from the company perspective. So if your admin does not like you enough to allow your app wish in, don‘t blame others.

47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If a firewall is blocking something, it is done by design, the admin or supplier of its blocking database. Your comment of EN being faulty is plain nonsense. If you are in software yourself, you should know better.

There are especially in companies firewalls that don’t work by a blacklist (known offenders locked out), but by a whitelist. Then every app that wants to run on that network or device and connect to the internet needs to be preallowed. No permit, no use.

Bad for ransomware (hopefully), and it stops the use of private software on company resources as well.

Which it seems in your case has worked pretty well, seen from the company perspective. So if your admin does not like you enough to allow your app wish in, don‘t blame others.

Evernote 6.25, no problem, Evernote 10, problem. At my last job, where there was a lot of security, they blocked all syncing of Evernote while I was at work, and blocked access to the Evernote website and even these forums. At my current job, they don't block any of this. Yet Evernote 10 seems to have a problem.

I don't actually develop software but am involved from a medical perspective when they are released for medical applications.Y es, Evernote is faulty in the way versions are released with bugs they may or may not fix promptly, and adding or taking feature out with no warning. This would not be allowed for medical applications.

• 3 months later...

I'm having this exact same issue with Evernote 10.33.4-mac-ddl-public (3285) on a M1 MBP running macOS 12.2.

It's very annoying as I am a longtime Premium user and have many years' worth of scanned PDFs in there and depend on Evernote as filing system for my personal and professional life.

Since this affects multiple users, is there an open issue that Evernote is actively addressing?

21 minutes ago, stepkad said:

I'm having this exact same issue with Evernote 10.33.4-mac-ddl-public (3285) on a M1 MBP running macOS 12.2.

It's very annoying as I am a longtime Premium user and have many years' worth of scanned PDFs in there and depend on Evernote as filing system for my personal and professional life.

Since this affects multiple users, is there an open issue that Evernote is actively addressing?

Thanks for validating my concern. I have not heard anything from Evernote since I put in my service request awhile ago. I'm also a longtime Premium user. I though switched my work computer back to an old Evernote so I wouldn't know if the problem was addressed.