Encrypted notes not being unencrypted after entering password: content not showing

HI, Encrypted notes not being unencrypted after entering password: i.e., content not showing.

I'm on MacBook Pro, Catalina 10.15.7.

10.25.6-mac-mas-public (458831)
Editor: v135.2.17285
Service: v1.42.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Level 5*

Hi.  Does "not being unencrypted" mean you get an 'invalid password' rejection,  another error message,  or the password box just sits there?  Have you tried all possible options?  The web version in more than one browser plus mobile / pc apps?  Does initial encryption work as expected?  More detail please.

11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Does "not being unencrypted" mean you get an 'invalid password' rejection,  another error message,  or the password box just sits there?  Have you tried all possible options?  The web version in more than one browser plus mobile / pc apps?  Does initial encryption work as expected?  More detail please.

There is no feedback at all. Jim

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Could it be that the notes in question were encrypted using a legacy version of EN ?

Yes this could have started after the last update. Surely - just updating Evernote does not mean that all previously encrypted content is inaccessible? That would be ridiculous - surely? Jim

Just now, Slimjimbo said:

Yes this could have started after the last update. Surely - just updating Evernote does not mean that all previously encrypted content is inaccessible? That would be ridiculous - surely? Jim

The content is still available via the web version. How do I get access to it on my Mac version? 

• Level 5

There is one restriction in v10 compared to the legacy versions (for the Mac this would be 7.14): Any text that contains formatting can have problems on decryption. Formatting means anything: Underline, Bold, but as well indents, bullets or numbered lists.

To make it work with v10 open the encrypted text with a client that does work, and remove all formatting. Then encrypt it again.

Here is the link to the legacy client:

Disclaimer: I am not sure this works in your case, but I think this is the plausible cause. Else there is support to ask.

6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is one restriction in v10 compared to the legacy versions (for the Mac this would be 7.14): Any text that contains formatting can have problems on decryption. Formatting means anything: Underline, Bold, but as well indents, bullets or numbered lists.

To make it work with v10 open the encrypted text with a client that does work, and remove all formatting. Then encrypt it again.

Here is the link to the legacy client:

Disclaimer: I am not sure this works in your case, but I think this is the plausible cause. Else there is support to ask.

Is this going to be fixed? or is my desktop content lost unless I downgrade to an earlier version of the app? Jim

• Level 5

Don‘t know what EN plans about the formatting of encrypted text.

Nothing is lost: You simply open it with the legacy app, remove all the formatting, and encrypt it again. Being plain text it should work on the new clients. This is a one-timer (for each encrypted segment …), you can skip the legacy version after it again.

Just to make this clear: We are here talking user2user, and I think this is the cause. But I can‘t be sure - so if in doubt, make a copy of the note first, and work on the duplicate.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Nothing is lost: You simply open it with the legacy app, remove all the formatting, and encrypt it again. Being plain text it should work on the new clients. This is a one-timer (for each encrypted segment …), you can skip the legacy version after it again.

Just to make this clear: We are here talking user2user, and I think this is the cause. But I can‘t be sure - so if in doubt, make a copy of the note first, and work on the duplicate.

Good to know that nothing is lost. It would not be practical for to go through all of my notes to remove the formatting as I've been using Evernote for years and I'm sure I must have 1000s of notes. I looks like the only practical solution for me is to use the online version when I need to, until this is fixed  (if indeed there is a plan to fix it). 

34 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks. I've used the online version when I need to until this is fixed. 🙂