Find within Note Not Working - Does not Advance to Next Instance - NOW FIXED!

*** As of 2022-01-26 this problem appears to be now fixed across all platforms***

Hi there, using Evernote 10.25.6 on Mac. The "Find within note" function is essentially not working. When I search a keyword within a note, EV will find the keyword/term, but it will NOT advance the screen to the keyword/term in the note.

Also, EV will list that there are multiple instances of the keyword/term found, however when you click the arrow to "find next" it will NOT advance the screen to the next instance. The feature is essentially useless. I have to manually scroll the screen through the entire note looking for the highlighted instances of the keyword/term.

The problem also exists in the web version of EV.

I have to use the web version and the browser's "find next" feature to get proper search function within a note. This is terribly arduous as I rely on the app as my main EV interface.

"Finding" a search keyword/term means taking the user to the instance on the screen. Otherwise it's not much of a search function.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a chance this could get fixed?

Thanks

b...

Quick addition: I just checked the EV iPhone app 10.21 and the find within note is also note working. It does not take you to an instance of the found keyword/term. Incredible!!!Basically, my entire notes are useless if I can't easily search my notes and engage with the content. Please help.

• Level 5

Can’t reproduce this - when we are talking about text notes, not attachments.

After a global search and picking a note with hits, all found Text is highlighted. You can easily navigate to these chunks.

If you want more comfort, use the in-Note search. Then you can jump from highlight to highlight using the arrows in the search box.

It is a known restriction that in tables scrolling will feel sticky. This is because the table jumps from cell to cell.

In attachments you need to open the attachment and then search inside of it. How it behaves depends on the type of attachment and how the search index is build.

With my „usual“ PDFs I get a preview of search hits and can navigate to them.

CFABFE31-8934-48DA-A20A-A62B87F613C2.thumb.png.9c06aafda9b9c1bcd7c95938e867a81a.png

Hi there, thanks for the response. Yes the problem is within a note search "Find within note". Note the global search.

In the Find within Note, the search acknowledges finding the word/term in the note and does list the instances eg. the number of finds. However, when clicking the arrow it does not navigate through the instances. The numbers change but the screen does not jump to the next instance. Yes I am using tables in the note and the table has a lot of cells. However, the feature was working up until at least late October 2021. And yesterday I downloaded the Legacy app (Mac) and confirmed the Find within Note works on my notes as it always has. It highlights and moves through each instance of the find.

Could you take another look. I've uploaded a screen capture showing the problem in the current 10.25.6-mac-ddl-public (3073) Editor: v135.2.17285 Service: v1.42.2

And how it's working in the Legacy App Version 7.14.1 (458325 Direct) Editor: 69.3.10951 (15add1e)

Thanks

Hi there, you can file a support ticket here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I filed one this past Sunday and have been going through trouble shooting with support. As of right now they do not have a handle on it. It would certainly help for you to file a ticket as well. On my end it appears the problem is happening only on notes with tables in it. The problem appears in the Mac app, in the web browser and on iPhone. However, the function works in the Legacy app.

Let me know if you make any headway.

Cheers

b...

• Like 1

Hi thanks a lot. Yes it must be something to do with tables as you say and on mac app as well. Really annoying as it was working perfectly before and wouldn't have set up a table if i knew this would be an issue! 

Will raise a ticket but let's hope it gets sorted.

• Like 1

Hey folks, I just heard back from EV tech support. Sound like they are on it. But looks like we will have to wait fro an update for the fix.

b...

I am able to reproduce this issue exactly as you've described it. I've gathered all the very helpful information you provided and reported this issue to the engineering team for further investigation. At the moment, I don't have a time or date on when this will be resolved, but please know our developers will prioritize and investigate the root cause to determine the best way to correct this issue.

Given the nature of the issue, this isn't something I can fix for you directly, and it will require a fix by the engineering team via a software update. I know that this doesn't immediately correct this issue that's interrupting your workflow, and I'd like to thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to resolve this.

At this time, I'm marking this ticket as answered while the development team investigates the issue. If you have any additional questions or concerns or would like an update on the status of the fixes, please reply to this ticket directly, and I will update you on our progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have this problem also.  It used to work fine.  I would say I have had the problem on all my evernote applications for about 2-3 months.  There have been a few updates since the problem started.  I have a very long note that I use Ctrl F to search everyday. The window will show the number of times the word/phrase is in the note, but will not advance.  Now that I think about it, the note I search in most often is a table, but again, the search shortcut used to work fine.

Hi Pixie, yes you have described the same problem as the others above. I was hoping the fix would come in the last update last week but to no avail. I'm sure there will be an update in Jan and if not fixed then I will reach back out to the tech support person. If you haven't already it would help if you opened a support ticket. Happy holidays!

Hi all,

as a work around for this issue, I export the note and view it as a HTML file. In this form the note is searchable. I note that the issue in this thread occurs for me using Mac desktop app, iPad app, and even using the web app. Hopefully there is a singular root cause for this and it is fixed soon. 

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, SureshB said:

Hi all,

as a work around for this issue, I export the note and view it as a HTML file. In this form the note is searchable. I note that the issue in this thread occurs for me using Mac desktop app, iPad app, and even using the web app. Hopefully there is a singular root cause for this and it is fixed soon. 

See previous comments about Support tickets...

• 4 weeks later...
  • brentstafford changed the title to Find within Note Not Working - Does not Advance to Next Instance - NOW FIXED!
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Banton1906 said:

No, I input the word in the search bar on the top left. 

@Banton1906You are doing this on iOS - correct?

How are you starting your search? From within the note you click on the three horizontal dots in the top right hand corner and then tap "Find in note" from the menu that pops up from the bottom.

I suspect that you are probably tapping the magnifying glass at the bottom right hand corner which is only for searching for a particular note.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

@Banton1906You are doing this on iOS - correct?

How are you starting your search? From within the note you click on the three horizontal dots in the top right hand corner and then tap "Find in note" from the menu that pops up from the bottom.

I suspect that you are probably tapping the magnifying glass at the bottom right hand corner which is only for searching for a particular note.

BOOT17! You are the man! 

Had no clue you could even search like that, I am good to go! 

• Like 2