Evernote locking me out / buggy unsync behavior

I just got a new phone so when I signed into Evernote, it told me I need to unsync a device to use it. Fine, so I selected my old phone. As soon as I opened a note and tried to interact with it, I was interrupted by saying I would be signed out since I have too many devices being synced. 

This repeated 2x until it told me I’ve already unsynced 2 devices and now I’ll be locked out. 

This is not the way to get me to upgrade, this is the way to get me to move my recipes to google docs. 

This is an iphone on the latest IOS 15.1.1

I did unsync’ed from my device, when prompted. Somehow Evernote remembered the number of times I attempted to unsync, without actually successfully unsyncing my old phone. I think there’s a bug. 

edit: I guess the unsync was successful since I got 2 emails, but still as soon as I sign into my account on my phone I get booted out if I don’t upgrade. Guess I’ll have to try from my laptop. 

Fortunately, I still have my old phone so I was able to sign out from there. 

However, I still can't log in via either my new phone or on my laptop (which was already a registered device). I get the same interstitial on web that says I have to upgrade to continue, and I can't unsync a device because I've already unsynced 2 devices this month. 

I'll try support, thanks.